Now I have finally improved this. Peoples seems to enjoy this movie and I can't really understand why ;) anyways, here we go.
I have intended to improve this a long time now because my current version looks like a piece of junk actually. It's somewhat sloppy and clumsy.
First a few words about the game before I go on.
Astyanax is a straight forward slashing game. It's pretty hard because the controls are really stupid and the hero and all enemies are really twice the size, this makes this game hard and that's what makes this run interesting. Or something.
The best in this game is the bosses. They look really cool and evil. Atleast I think they do.
Anyways, in my previous version I tried to avoid damage as much as possible. Sometimes it was impossible though because of the size of enemies and the clumjsy controls.
In my new run I take damage everywhere. This is good for several reasons compared to my previous attempt.
1. When taking damage you become invincible for some time, allowing me to ignore some annoying enemies. 2. At the end of stages your remaining energy will count down. This means I have less energy that has to be counted and thus it saved me some time. 3. It's overall much faster since I don't have to stop and kill annoying enemies.
Oh. Forgot to add a few things. I guess I could have taken a bit more damage here and there but I didn't for a few reasons. First, if I had done that it would have looked even worse and it's bad as it is so I decided not too. Second, I want to keep moving forward as much as possible and if I wanted to take more damage I have had to stop and wait for enemies. This is a bad idea whatsoever in my opinion. And third, I could have fought more inside bosses I guess but I choosed not to in most cases because that too would have looked horrible..
Another thing that saved time is the use of magic. I used it better this time, mostly because I didn't have to use magic during the stages and therefor I could kill the bosses faster.
Lastly, one thing that didn't save me time is the lag.It seems that if a ridicoulus small amount of enemies is on the screen simultaniously the game lags. For the same reason as I didn't take more damage during stages I had to live with this. Else I would have been forced to backtrack to kill those lag-sources and that would have been slower and worse-looking.
Hmm. I think that was it. Im aware of that this isn't a great run but I doubt I can do it any better because the game is really stupid. Atleast it's alot faster now and it looks.. well less sloppy.
  • Emu: FCEU
  • Takes damage to save time
  • As fast as possible
  • Manipulates luck (Enemy pattern)
I'll hope you enjoy it.. /Walker Boh

Bisqwit: Encoding... Done.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #441: Walker Boh's NES Astyanax in 17:08.58
Emulator Coder
Improved time over previous entry. Yay!
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Pretty cool. One question, I think this is level 5-2 or so. Before the boss appears, you have to hack away the flying stuff that is following you. But this stuff was following you for a while, and there was a lot of lag. Could you have hacked it earlier, getting to the boss faster because of less lag? Or is this something along the lines of what you said about not worrying about lag?
Former player
Yeah that's possible. Only problem is that if you kill a bunch of those flying whatevers there will be new ones. Good idea though.
/Walker Boh
Former player
I can't think of a single reason to not publish this update. Good improvements.
Former player
Thanks!
/Walker Boh
Player (70)
i'm one of the rare breed of people that liked this game, and i was entertained by your first run, this one's even better
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [259] NES Astyanax by Walker Boh in 17:08.58