Mega Man 3 in 32:42, which is 1:20 faster than the current run by Sleepz.
I must say that Sleepz really deserves all the credit for this as he did all the difficult work. He did a great job with weapon usage, boss fights, and planning so most of my video is basically the same as his. The majority of the time saved is due to the fact that he didn't have the 60 fps patch when he made his, though there are several noticeable improvements. But his movie has plenty of "mistakes" (missed shots, unneeded weapon refills, jumping too high) that I thought needed to be fixed.
Some notes:
-I do get a couple of small refills for Magnet in Top and Gemini revisited that save a little bit of time.
-The energy and weapon refills on the ground are sometimes faster to grab than avoiding or switching weapons.
-I tried skipping the energy refills for Jet on Needle revisited but it was slower.
-Hits I take are on purpose to save time, though it might not always look like it.
-I tried to make every jump exact so if I jump too high there is probably a reason for it.
-I decided to just jump on Rock Monster as I like that better. Sorry if anybody really like the other way.
-I'm not very good at keeping things looking smooth all the time but I hope it's just my critical eye.
Anyway I think that's everything. Hope you enjoy.

Bisqwit: Thanks! Yay for the Minor Optimizations! Publishing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #451: kopernical's NES Mega Man 3 in 32:42.48
Player (70)
I have watched it now. Very impressive. Especially at the bosses. Also like some of the stuff you made in certein levels. To bad I'm too tired to write about it all. But it was impressive. :) This is a YES vote.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
i have the rockman version, and it desynced about 30 seconds in, but that 30 seconds was enough for me to see how you saved some of that time. those slides were very well done. good work
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
The movie worked fine for me, i used the us version which it states. Yea the movie was really well done! YES all the way.
Former player
Yellow Devil, not Rock Monster! </Boco>
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
Active player (277)
I think I'll start calling it "The Devilish Yellow Rock Monster". Or is it a gelatin monster? Yeah, it's probably gelatin.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Editor, Active player (296)
"Gelatin monster" sounds good.
Player (67)
Very nice. I think I noticed a few rough spots, (I could just be imagining things) but on the whole, it is obviously an improvement over the previous movie. An easy yes vote from me.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I voted yes, of course. The only things I could think or were: * stand closer to the middle of the screen after some battles. * switching to rush coil earlier once to make a ladder quicker (but I can't be bothered to check where right now) * Jumps one corner instead of sliding (at Gemini Man, the bugged exploding Proto Man screen) - if it's faster at one spot it should be faster everywhere. * Maybe manipulate luck so you don't get pickups you want to avoid.
Former player
Blublu wrote:
Very nice. I think I noticed a few rough spots, (I could just be imagining things)
Probably the same things I see. There are a few little things here and there that could be improved but nothing that could be considered major (except maybe switching to Shadow for Wily 1 boss; not sure why I did that).
Truncated wrote:
* stand closer to the middle of the screen after some battles.
Yeah, I know. Spark is best I can do without slowing down the fight. Hard I had to go back a little to far to keep him from pausing in the air. Shadow is a pain because that Top Spin always knocks you back. Magnet was bad, too. Never did figure out what I was doing to keep him on the ground, just kept repeating until I got it right. Just kept what I got.
Truncated wrote:
* switching to rush coil earlier once to make a ladder quicker (but I can't be bothered to check where right now)
Hmm, not sure where you mean.
Truncated wrote:
* Jumps one corner instead of sliding (at Gemini Man, the bugged exploding Proto Man screen) - if it's faster at one spot it should be faster everywhere.
Have to jump to skip it. Otherwise you get stopped there.
Truncated wrote:
* Maybe manipulate luck so you don't get pickups you want to avoid.
I do. The only ones I get are to kill enemies that otherwise slow me down a bit. Didn't really test to see what is faster, though.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [252] NES Mega Man 3 by kopernical in 32:42.48
Active player (432)
Bisqwit this movies sound is ahead with 1-2 seconds. It happens about during the half of the game. Is It possible for another one?
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Active player (277)
Is it possible it was made like that to compensate for Windows Media Player's natural tendency for desynchronization after watching a movie too long?
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Sound ahead happens for me too sometimes. Usually jumping to somewhere in the movie synchronizes it, and then starts to gradually drift off again. I have no idea why this happens.
Skilled player (1404)
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
Is it possible it was made like that to compensate for Windows Media Player's natural tendency for desynchronization after watching a movie too long?
The problem with such "compensation" is that it would only compound the problem, not aleviate it. If the sound was behind the video (I've seen this happpen a couple of times), I might understand. It happens with some other movies as well. Megaman 5 and Aladin come to mind. I thought it may have been Windows Media (had to constantly reposition the little bar), and switching over to WinAmp fixed the problem, but the desynching is hardcoded into some of these movies. Never had this problem watching half hour episodes of anime with Windows Media, though. Only some of these movies have been giving me issues with either player.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Editor, Active player (296)
The A/V desync is in the AVI. I noticed it before publishing, but because the encoding took so long and the desync wasn't really long, I wasn't really eager to go back to step 1.
Post subject: Some trick!
Hi, I´m a swedish gamer and have did a speedrun in SDA. The Time attack run was very nice and isn´t long from perfect. It was a couple of time there you could save more time. The biggest "time saver" is in the Needle Stage (secon version). After the first boss you don´t have to take this blue tanks. You can jump all the time so you dont need more "fuel" :P One time you could have take RC a little bit later to yump longer up in a ladder. But it was a cool Time attack!
YEAH...
Post subject: Re: Some trick!
Former player
frezy_man wrote:
Hi, I´m a swedish gamer and have did a speedrun in SDA.
Yeah, I watched it and enjoyed it. Very nicely done. Much better than I could ever hope to do :-)
frezy_man wrote:
You can jump all the time so you dont need more "fuel" :P
I noticed you were able to do that with little slowdown. Maybe it's because of the speed difference betwee the two versions but if you don't kill any enemies and continuously jump it causes a lot of slowdown, so much so that is actually faster to get the refills.
frezy_man wrote:
One time you could have take RC a little bit later to yump longer up in a ladder.
Do you remember where this was? Somebody else mentioned that once and never did say. Maybe there was a reason I didn't do it, or maybe it was something I just missed.
frezy_man wrote:
But it was a cool Time attack!
Thanks. Sleepz is really the one who came up with most of it. I just improved it a little bit.
oh, i forgott that i have write in this topic:P
"Do you remember where this was? Somebody else mentioned that once and never did say. Maybe there was a reason I didn't do it, or maybe it was something I just missed."
I think it was in the hard man stage. after the third gorilla. But i have wondering about some stuff...when you slide over some gap. I have seen that you slide over some of this and other not. In the Spark man stage when you must pass 2 elektrik machina. There is a gap. I´ts possible to slide over this gap, but you use the slide-jump tech. And in some other gap with the same length you some times slide over and some not. I have try to slide but its very difficult. i can´t figured out exactly where i must beginn my slide :( did you know something or have you try to slide over and over again untill you make it?
YEAH...
Former player
frezy_man wrote:
I think it was in the hard man stage. after the third gorilla.
You're right. Wonder why I didn't even try that.
frezy_man wrote:
But i have wondering about some stuff...when you slide over some gap. I have seen that you slide over some of this and other not.
I believe it's possible to slide over every gap of that size. Some of them were easy; my actions prior to that spot put me in the exact place I needed to be. Others would take a bit of effort to get into the right spot. That is one thing that can be improved here.
frezy_man wrote:
did you know something or have you try to slide over and over again untill you make it?
No, nothing special. Most of them I was just lucky enough to be in the right spot. There is very small room for error (just a few pixels) so I wouldn't try on this trick for a real run.
Ok, thanks! :D I have try to slide over gaps but it´s so damm hard. I´ts impossible to be shure if you gonna make it or not.
YEAH...
Editor, Player (67)
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.