Wayne's World for the Nintendo Entertainment System is a game made by Radical Entertainment based off the Movie of the same name.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Bizhawk 1.5.3
  • Aims for fastest time

Comments

For the most part for comments regarding this run. I found situations where i was forced to take damage and or fight in order to get through the levels somewhat quickly.
I used RAM watch to find out what the speeds are:
  • Enemy Riding(Level 1 only) 288
  • Walking 256
  • High Jump(Wayne Campbell Only) 256 but the elevation furthers the distance of where you'll fall.
  • Forward Jump 304

feos: Judging...
feos: Updating the submission file with a 753-frame improvement. 21MB of buggy lines removed from the file.
feos: Accepting for Vault.
Ilari: Got a dump from feos... Seems to even have A/V sync based on quick test.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4185: Cooljay's NES Wayne's World in 05:56.56
Expert player (2582)
There are some damage taken which are kinda suspicious, I don't know but they don't look the right decision. For instance, with the blond guy, fourth stage, isn't it faster to jump over that barrel?
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
Dooty wrote:
There are some damage taken which are kinda suspicious, I don't know but they don't look the right decision. For instance, with the blond guy, fourth stage, isn't it faster to jump over that barrel?
If it was Wayne he could high jump over it but Garth doesnt have the ability of doing high jumps and only regular forward jumps. Which start pretty low to the ground and would touch the enemies/hazards somewhat bigger hitbox than it appears to be risking him to fall or take damage anyways.
Expert player (2582)
Yeah, I mean Garth, but even with Wayne there are parts, I'm sorry if I'm wrong about those, that seems like you could've jumped instead of taking damage. But about the Garth's damage I mentioned, you can avoid the barrel (or whatever it is)by not jumping as soon as you can on the third red platform. It's a tiny bit faster than taking damage, but still. edit: here's a screenshot of the spot, with the jump over;
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
It explains why i got the results that i did from jumping soon as possible and testing frames of moving forward. It was my fault to assume too quickly it would not be possible.
Editor
This is the game with the incredibly annoying "Not!" sound whenever you take damage isn't it? Definitely do everything you can to avoid getting hit :p
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
thatguy wrote:
This is the game with the incredibly annoying "Not!" sound whenever you take damage isn't it? Definitely do everything you can to avoid getting hit :p
That is the SNES/Genesis version actually
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
So is this improvable, and how much if it is?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Expert player (2582)
It's hard to say precisely, but the first stage can also be completed faster by avoiding damage; http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/12479180350525188 (~100 frames faster)
Sounds like rejection for sloppiness.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
I will upload my improved movie tomorrow when my internet in my new place is ready(Just been using internet at the library)
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
Here is my improved movie that saves 753 frames Edit:Removed the movie from storage since it has buggy code.
Expert player (2582)
Excellent! It is much, much better now. As I said not too long ago, I enjoy watching fast runs, so Yes, I found it entertaining.
Player (12)
Encode so I can watch this and vote on it plz.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Thanks for the encode, feos. I can't say I was entertained by this run, but I can still see it being accepted to Moons, so I'm voting Meh.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Sorry for commenting so late on this. After seeing the encode, I'm not really impressed by the game. Wayne and Garth's faces look really creepy between the stages, when you see them fade in with a pair of drumsticks. The platforming doesn't really have much variety except for beating up some guys with predictable attacks, except for the one part where Wayne fights the images coming off the cameras. The gameplay is fine, but it feels like the game could've been much better. This is definitely not as good a movie adaptation as Lethal Weapon was. I'm voting No, but good job on making this run more polished.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2535] NES Wayne's World by Cooljay in 05:56.56