(Link to video)

Luigi's Hidden Mansion Glitched% (also known as Any% OoB)

Emulator/Settings:

• Dolphin 4.0.2-dirty
  • Dual Core disabled
  • Idle Skipping Disabled
  • Framelimit Off
  • CPU Emulator Engine: JIT Recompiler
  • Audio: DSP LLE recompiler

Game Objectives

• Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • NewGame+ for better entertainment

Game Description:

Luigi wins a mansion in a contest and his brother, Mario, goes missing there. It is your goal to find Mario by walking around the haunted mansion to figure out where he is. Your weapons to protect you are a flashlight and a vacuum. Capturing ghosts and collecting keys helps you along your journey to finding mario.
...And we just skip past a majority of those ghosts! In this movie, we capture four of the 23 Portrait Ghosts. My favorite Gamecube game that I finally beat(thanks to glitches).

Making this TAS:

This was my first complete TAS(I attempted Diddy Kong Racing which was a really bad place to start)! It was a great experience to learn how to play the game on an emulator, then learn the glitches, then learn how to properly do a tool-assisted speedrun. It was very hard for me when I had finished my first room(Parlor Room) and someone tell me that they could do it faster. So I would start over and get to that other person's time and move onto the next room. Again someone would show me another video of someone doing that room faster. Repeating this process all the way until I finally finished the game!
When I finally realized that all speedrunners play on newgame+(Hidden Mansion mode), so I decided that TAS would be my verifcation movie file(and a warmup for the real deal!). Again I went through the entire process of beating the game in Hidden Mansion mode, hurray 8 minutes and 41 Seconds! Wow that's fast!
Then finally some thugs(very nice people) came along.. named Veman3000 and YOSH1. Veman3000 told me about using the left side of the double door in the very first room for a one second gain. YOSH1 came along and blew my TAS away with his from months ago. Using YOSH1's knowledge and movie file, I was able to piece together this masterpiece, gaining frames here and there.. finally feeling proud of myself for what I have finished.
So I present to you my fellow TASers and followers, Luigi's Hidden Mansion Glitched% done in 8:28:52!(Bonus for completing in less than two months!) Finish time is called on the first frame of King Boo's Capture 'POP!'.
Special thanks to YOSH1, this TAS uses a piece of his TAS because I liked the entertainment value it added(Seen at Neville).

Rooms:

1F/2F Foyer: When on the second floor, using the left side of the double door is about one second faster than using the right side.
Parlor Room: Moving the vacuum prior to visually seeing the candles going out saves time. If you watch the vacuum has a crazy whirlwind effect when pulling it out. Could come in handy for future improvements/entertainment.
Chauncey's Room: Throwing the ball at the wall to ricochet towards you then slowly dragging the ball forward while vacuuming the rocking horse seems to be the best route here. After Chauncey talks, fire the ball(which should be right under your vacuum) as fast as possible.
Floor 1.5:_ Where the fun finally happens! After beating Chauncey, there is about two seconds to get behind the appearing chest against the wall. Once wedged in there, using the vacuuming pushes you through to what is claimed as Floor 1.5.
OoB outside King Boo's: No man's land. You are outside the walls in the darkness. One step too close to the walls, you get a cutscene. One step too far, you softlock. Luckily for me, TASing allowed me to count frames and record analog stick positions. So when I drop into No Man's Land, 18 frames this way, 5 frames that way, easy peasy.

Techniques

Capturing ghosts:
  • Make sure to pull in the opposite direction of the ghost in relation to Luigi when vacuuming.
  • Every ghosts should go down 1HP when you start vacuuming on the second frame.
  • When a ghost gets to 0(or the frame before), savestate and test different directions(Luigi's walking & Luigi's vacuum).
  • Optimal Capture is 21 frames(from when the 0HP sign disappears until the vacuum pops).
  • In this video, it ranges from 18-24 frames(18 frames manipulates the ghosts by using objects in the room/wall while 24 frames was as optimal I could get for some ghosts).
  • Ghost's health decreases by 10HP each time you vacuum, as long as you stop moving the analog stick for one frame(or move the C-stick), you will only pause the HP drop by one frame instead of halting progress.
Chest Keys:
  • We only need three keys for this glitch% run(Wardrobe, Neville's and Lydia's). Wardrobe room key, there are two options. Either let the key slow drop towards you or fling the key to where you are going. I found that slowly dropping the key worked best for me.
  • When grabbing the other two keys, you have a frame before and after Key-Grab animation to move a little closer to the door.
Chauncey:
  • Getting closer to the crib helps dodge bouncing balls and retrieve the third(throwable) ball quicker. When vacuuming, only vacuum Chauncey to 50 which skips having a third set of rocking horses launched at you. When Chauncey is ground stomping, if you get hit underneath him in the right area, you can nudge him farther forward. Once hit you become invincible for a while allowing you to do it one or two more times without taking damage.
Bats for Skewing:
  • Luigi is best at skewing when in side-step mode, which allows Luigi's top half and bottom half to rotate differently. This causes him to skew to odd angles when taking damage. This step is crucial in getting over beams/walls on Floor 1.5.

Room for improvement:

No you can't take my first TAS away from me! Just kidding, destroy my time!
  • Some ghost captures can be caught faster by one to three frames.
  • Wardrobe room key fling instead of key drop
  • Chauncey's location before starting ground stomp
  • Getting hit by Chauncey's first stomp rather than second(was not tested)
  • Floor 1.5 - better pathing(possibly switching back to standard walking when going down the hallway).
  • Floor 1.5 - Using the bats to get a crazy skew angle that may allow you to skip using the second bat completely.
  • King Boo Crown Theft - this was talked about a lot in the thread(conclusion was that it does not complete the game; in LM thread by MUGG and Patashu and as this YouTube description states: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=602eNlIgilU)

Credits/Thanks:

YOSH1, Veman3000, got4n, Firecrotch219, sockfolder, Lukehhhh, Flip, Abahbob, Wakssbm, Patashu

Verification Movie File:

feos: Uploading the trimmed movie, and accepting to Moons.
RGamma: Publishing...
Ilari: Changed length: 05:07.717 -> 10:11.85

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4230: solarplex's GC Luigi's Mansion in 10:11.85
Editor
Get in! Someone encode this please. Although, for a 3-D game, the rerecord density is very low... is the rerecord count accurate?
Active player (471)
thatguy wrote:
Get in! Someone encode this please. Although, for a 3-D game, the rerecord density is very low... is the rerecord count accurate?
No every other day I used a new file which was a rookie mistake. it should be near 80,000 rerecords from the past two months. Videos up! my apologies, tas staff, I didn't put your logo in the beginning
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
solarplex wrote:
thatguy wrote:
No every other day I used a new file which was a rookie mistake. it should be near 80,000 rerecords from the past two months.
in cases such as these I’d be for manually editing the number to correct it, otherwise it’s misleading
Skilled player (1706)
Well, I think one or two of the Castlevania runs also start with SRAM to skip beginning cutscene/tutorials, so I guess it's alright. One thing I got to ask is that were the pauses OoB needed? I thought they were only used in RTS as a frame buffer or something. Also, using the mirror warp is slower? Huh. Yes vote. Edit: Also, time ends at last input, not when King Boo dies. :P
I'm not so sure about the decision to use NewGame+. Just because the console runners do it doesn't mean that it's an appropriate choice for a TAS. Other than that, this looks like Skewigi's Mansion done right! Yes vote.
Active player (471)
jlun2 wrote:
Well, I think one or two of the Castlevania runs also start with SRAM to skip beginning cutscene/tutorials, so I guess it's alright. One thing I got to ask is that were the pauses OoB needed? I thought they were only used in RTS as a frame buffer or something. Also, using the mirror warp is slower? Huh. Yes vote. Edit: Also, time ends at last input, not when King Boo dies. :P
There is only one pause that I do in Out of Bounds, which is not to pause buffer, but to switch back to standard walking(for luigi's legs and torso to move in the same direction pushing him over the wall). You'll see no pause buffering when hitting bats which is when console runners use pause buffering to get positions correctly. Mirror warp was shown to be slower by around a second in someone else's video. Although I did not personally test that alternative. Link to video "time ends at last input" Well stinkers haha.. I'll have to change my inputs then? cause there is text after king boo, but 8:39 seems like such an odd place to call last input.
Fishaman P wrote:
I'm not so sure about the decision to use NewGame+. Just because the console runners do it doesn't mean that it's an appropriate choice for a TAS. Other than that, this looks like Skewigi's Mansion done right! Yes vote.
You can watch my verification movie file, vacuuming takes twice as many frames for each ghost and there is also the tutorial area. I just figured it would be nice to compare with console runners and easier 'watchability'.
Skilled player (1706)
solarplex wrote:
"time ends at last input" Well stinkers haha.. I'll have to change my inputs then? cause there is text after king boo, but 8:39 seems like such an odd place to call last input.
Well, would the game reach the credits if you shorten parts of the input? If so, sure I guess?
Active player (471)
jlun2 wrote:
solarplex wrote:
"time ends at last input" Well stinkers haha.. I'll have to change my inputs then? cause there is text after king boo, but 8:39 seems like such an odd place to call last input.
Well, would the game reach the credits if you shorten parts of the input? If so, sure I guess?
By a few frames. But my last inputs are at around 10:13 when you see Luigi's total portraits and gold summed up. edit: went back and checked, I do stop input as soon as King Boo 'POP' occurs [Frame 30531] (anything after that was just for cutscene texts).
Former player
That was really fun to watch. I'm glad too see you didn't get discouraged from all the restarts and just kept optimizing it. Newgame+ is a good idea, it makes the run faster, so why not using it? Yes vote from me!
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
andypanther wrote:
Newgame+ is a good idea, it makes the run faster, so why not using it?
that’s a magnificently terrible, terrible reason…
Active player (434)
yes,moon stars or whatever is the best video possible here
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Active player (432)
Alaktorn you have become a very negative person in the past few months, lighten up. Anyways, I have watched almost all your wips and enjoyed greatly all of them. I like the sound effects, Luigi and how overall the whole game. I give this a resounding yes vote. Congratulations and what a tas to start off your tasing career :D Cheers!
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Editor
Obvious yes, congrats. Best TAS from a first-timer I have seen since numerics' Melee playaround.
andypanther wrote:
That was really fun to watch. I'm glad too see you didn't get discouraged from all the restarts and just kept optimizing it.
My sentiments exactly. Especially as I believe you actually finished one run, and then started again to get this closer to perfect? Regardless, it was a great watch. Hope we get the pleasure of seeing more TAS's from you in the future.
Patashu
He/Him
'Hidden Mansion' mode in Luigi's Mansion is equivalent to 'Replay Mode' in Symphony of the Night - you start the same game from the same starting point, except with some fixed advantages (in SotN it's skipping cutscenes and being able to buy more things from the shop, in Luigi's Mansion your vacuum is powered up). To me this is fine, just list the category as 'Hidden Mansion mode' so it's clear it's not from new game.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I enjoyed keeping up with your progress in the forum thread. Nice run! And you're right that the time should be around 10:13 and not 8:39. The site parser tends to have issues calculating Dolphin movie times. However, it can and will be fixed before the movie is published. Also, the final encode will need to switch back the left and right stereo audio channels (as Dolphin switches them in the dumped audio file for some reason). Luigi's laugh at 11:10 sounds really weird on the wrong side of the screen.
What DSP LLE files did you use and what MD5/SHA1sum does the ISO have?
All syllogisms have three parts, therefore this is not a syllogism.
Active player (471)
RGamma wrote:
What DSP LLE files did you use and what MD5/SHA1sum does the ISO have?
Sound Settings:
DSP Emulator Engine: DSP LLE Recompiler
DSPLLE on Separate Thread Unchecked
Dump Audio Checked
Dump Audio To AVI Checked

Backend Settings:
No Audio output
MD5: GLME01_0-0.gcm - - - - - - e20adaae0b0c2c6c4f530fa8201ef489 EDIT: for when its decided or when a judge tells me that yes it is by Last Input, I do have a fixed movie file (which includes a better estimated rerecord count and better text scrolling after King Boo). When creating my movie, I assumed when defeating King Boo would be where my time stopped. So the new submission(if I need to resubmit or just hand off the new movie file) is ready and waiting. Just tell me what to do.
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1141)
solarplex wrote:
So the new submission(if I need to resubmit or just hand off the new movie file) is ready and waiting. Just tell me what to do.
Post it to userfiles and request replacing the file.
Active player (471)
Ilari wrote:
solarplex wrote:
So the new submission(if I need to resubmit or just hand off the new movie file) is ready and waiting. Just tell me what to do.
Post it to userfiles and request replacing the file.
http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/13611220922187074 Thanks Ilari, requesting this change :P Saves maybe 15 frames or so off the very end. As well as fixes rerecords! Doesn't add any more or less entertainment value though hehe.
Editor, Experienced player (852)
Great TAS! Looks well optimized and very entertaining. YES vote. :)
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
solarplex wrote:
my apologies, tas staff, I didn't put your logo in the beginning
No-one will care, submission aren't meant to have logos on it. Anyways, YES Vote, entertaining.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Ford
He/Him
I enjoyed this. There was hardly any boring dead time whatsoever, he sucked up ghosts like it was going out of style, and he clipped through walls and junk until all his dreams came true! He even got a tent! :D
Wow, you finished the new improvement quickly. Yes vote; excellent work! It's really nice to see that we have a complete Luigi's Mansion TAS now. :D