Pitfall II: Lost Caverns is a platforming video game originally released for the Atari 2600 video game console in 1984.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.7.0
  • Aims for Fastest Time
  • Collects All Items

Comments

Only thing different from my any% TAS (#4330: solarplex's A2600 Pitfall II: Lost Caverns in 04:04.93), is the balloon glitch and route change to obtain all items.
Balloon Glitch: Swaps the bat for the balloon instantly when entering the balloon area, saving around 4 seconds each time I use the glitch.

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Replaced submission file with a 798 frames longer one which does collect the Rat.
Noxxa: This run appears to drag on a bit compared to the any% Pitfall 2 run, but is nevertheless quite well received. Accepting for Moons.
feos: Publishing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Patashu
He/Him
'Saturn USA'?
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Skilled player (1706)
Active player (471)
It says Saturn because the parser doesn't know what to do with the BKM file atm. It is indeed an Atari 2600. Encode is coming soon. Just got home.
Active player (471)
Please change out movie file for this one http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/download/15315641239880889 I had forgotten to collect the Rat at the very end. Thankfully "Emmet McCormack" on Youtube told me about the rat, so I went back and fixed it. Still slightly faster than the world record mostly due to balloon glitch.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
Again, thanks for making this TAS! I had to vote meh though, compared to the any% movie, this one did drag on a bit.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I found this mostly entertaining, though around the 8-minute mark (I went back and checked), it started to feel repetitive. No fault of yours, of course. I'm going with Meh. I didn't mind the awesome music though, especially when your constantly collecting treasure kept the best part going! I have a question though: why didn't you fall down a lot more of the holes like you did in your any% submission? Is it slower to do so, or does it take the same amount of time as climbing down and doing the latter was a stylistic choice?
Active player (471)
CoolKirby wrote:
I found this mostly entertaining, though around the 8-minute mark (I went back and checked), it started to feel repetitive. No fault of yours, of course. I'm going with Meh. I didn't mind the awesome music though, especially when your constantly collecting treasure kept the best part going! I have a question though: why didn't you fall down a lot more of the holes like you did in your any% submission? Is it slower to do so, or does it take the same amount of time as climbing down and doing the latter was a stylistic choice?
I didn't fall down because each fall takes away 100 points, therefore you are unable to obtain maximum score :P
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Ah, so it's a 100% + Max Score TAS. I LOVE IT!
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
It is a max score TAS. 100% is requires for max score.
If max score was the main goal and speed tradeoffs (assuming climbing down is slower) were used to achieve that goal, then this should be published with the branch name "maximum score", right?
Skilled player (1404)
CoolKirby wrote:
If max score was the main goal and speed tradeoffs (assuming climbing down is slower) were used to achieve that goal, then this should be published with the branch name "maximum score", right?
Exactly what I was thinking. "Max score" seems more descriptive.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Thanks, Ferret Warlord. I've corrected it. I hope feos notices the change before putting "100%" in the encodes. To clarify, the run aims for (fastest) maximum score because it forgoes a trick that saves time but takes away points. Items contribute to the score, so achieving 100% is an inherent secondary goal.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2619] A2600 Pitfall II: Lost Caverns "maximum score" by solarplex in 09:43.08
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3273)
Oh man, so great to see this. I wanted to do this game about a year ago but it wouldn't emulate on BizHawk for some reason. Big nostalgia hit. I think as a kid I came one ladder-fall from this score, needless to say I played it endlessly. Looked like some nice moves getting past the various enemies and with the balloon glitch. And, of course, this game has the best ending ever...