Submission Text Full Submission Page
 - 1 Player
 - Complete all unique content (plays until no new content appears)
 - Makes speed vs. entertainment trade-offs (focus on maximum bird-to-bird bashing)
This 1 Player TAS of the NES version of Joust focuses on showing off the strange physics of the game. Instead of focusing on being surgically accurate I worked on creating long chains of bird bouncing madness, frequently bashing my mount into the ceiling and into the heads of other mounts. I hope you find this run entertaining!

Nach: I for the most part liked this run, but thought it lacked much in the way of optimization. Feedback wasn't too great either.
This run is also incomplete, as the rules state the criteria for completion is as follows: "Games that loop endlessly can still be defined. The completion point is one where there is no new content, and the game is no longer increasing in difficulty."
Since the game does increase in difficulty for later waves with more distractions from the pterodactyl, and spawning enemies which move considerably faster, I am deeming this run incomplete. Several more waves need to be played, and a later cycle must be reached. Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4432: dwangoAC's NES Joust "1 Player" in 01:48.92
Skilled player (1706)
An encode would be nice to see how different it is from feo's version.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Link to video Voting No on entertainment, and can't see it accepted at all, as it doesn't even fulfill its own goal about maximizing bouncing.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Glitcher
He/Him
Why ten levels and not twenty or thirty? The enemies get faster later in the game, which would make the TAS more interesting. As it stands, this is too brief and inconsequential to be of any merit.
Post subject: Maybe score is a better
sack_bot
He/Him
Player (111)
Glitcher wrote:
Why ten levels and not twenty or thirty? The enemies get faster later in the game, which would make the TAS more interesting. As it stands, this is too brief and inconsequential to be of any merit.
10 is the point where there's no new content. I think max score seems better to me. When you play an arcade game, you go for score, not when the stages loop.
Message me here for my discord. Current Project: Psycho Waluigi Project on wait list: None?
Glitcher
He/Him
What do you mean there's no new content? What about those blue knights that appear on later levels?
Shadow Lords appear on wave 16, so I'd say you should play through that level at least.
Skilled player (1706)
scaryice wrote:
Shadow Lords appear on wave 16, so I'd say you should play through that level at least.
Wait, how much content appears for this game, and for which ports? :o
The game usually seems to be going as follows: 1. Normal enemies in the beginning, all platforms. 2. White enemies appear (faster), platforms disappear. 3. Platforms return. Repeat 2-3 for a while, then introduce blue enemies that are even faster. That's all. One can spawn blue enemies by letting the white enemy eggs lie untouched.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... juicy!
scaryice wrote:
Please participate here! http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=387053#387053