(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Emulator Used: psxjin v2.0.2
Bios Used: SCPH1000
Aims for fastest time
Abuses programming errors in the game

feos: Hi paosidufygth, and welcome to TASVideos!
Your run's execution is very good, but it seems there is an issue with how similar this game is to the NES version. We usually allow ports to different platforms, but not when they are direct copies of one other (like those modern games for currently "competing" consoles). Slight differences would justify publishing versions of a game, but when there's (little to) no difference, people simply feel the original version is the only one they want TASed, because the runs would look identical, presenting very little unique content (if any). The case for this game is that it's actually the NES ROM being emulated, with some additions that don't affect TASing (at least those official tweaks that we know of). The NES version is the one that was TASed to death throughout all these years, so it's hardly possible to compete with the existing records in it.
This game is so similar to the NES version that I consider runs of it branches of the latter. If there were more unique content presented here (by playing different modes maybe), it might have gotten better feedback, but for this run, I'm rejecting it.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4495: paosidufygth's PSX Rockman Complete Works: Rockman in 15:49.85
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I can't run PSXJin on my system, so I have to wait for a video encode. This game is a compilation of the first six Megaman games; which one is being played? And why should the site accept this run along with the run on the NES version?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Ports for different platforms are accepted, unless they're 100% identical. Haven't seen this, but I'd say Wily Wars and this one are identical to NES, being copies of those.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
feos wrote:
Ports for different platforms are accepted, unless they're 100% identical. Haven't seen this, but I'd say Wily Wars and this one are identical to NES, being copies of those.
The largest difference (besides Easy Mode, and I suppose the easy/hard difficulties, which are just kind of stupid, and hard needs to be unlocked anyway), is being able to cycle weapons with L/R like in the later ones. More listed here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/575618-rockman/faqs/30644#section9
Active player (471)
Uploading Temp Encode now That came out terrible. I'll have to change some settings. If someone else wants to encode, thats fine too.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
solarplex wrote:
Uploading Temp Encode now
Me too. I've read the article. Gameplay-wise, zero difference is there, we're dealing with a plain copy of Rockman 1.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4139)
I'm disappointed it didn't at least pick Navi mode for the (partially) rearranged soundtrack.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
For the most part, the run is just Rockman with the level of glitches of the second to current NES submission. Technically not bad, but not worth a seperate category to be brutally honest. Here's hoping for an eventual Mega Man "No magnet beam" run.
scrimpeh wrote:
Here's hoping for an eventual Mega Man "No magnet beam" run.
Not even remotely enough to make a "clean" Mega Man run, given the NextDelay glitch, the ladder glitch to pick up the Magnet Beam on the first visit to ElecMan's stage, the pause glitch for fast boss fights, and presumably all kinds of other issues. Plus frankly I expect that a "glitchless" Mega Man run would be pretty dull. Though that's just me.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Active player (333)
I do not know enough about this game to make a clear vote. Some interesting use of the navi pause menu in stages like IceMan and BombMan to (from what I can tell) extend the duration of the magnet beam, and use of L/R to switch weapons. I'm guessing it will be a "No" or "Meh" vote for most people though as it doesn't seem different enough from the NES version. I however would like to see these type of runs done on the MegaMan Anniversary Collection, especially for MM3-MM6 where sliding can be combined with L/R antics. When I did speedruns of MM3 and MM4, there is a MM3 glitch that doubles your speed in all of the Doc Robot stages, and in MM4 you can jump after entering some boss doors. I noticed several other minor glitches (emulation errors maybe?) and other things like it could exist in this JPN RockMan Complete Works as well for MM1.
Derakon wrote:
scrimpeh wrote:
Here's hoping for an eventual Mega Man "No magnet beam" run.
Not even remotely enough to make a "clean" Mega Man run, given the NextDelay glitch, the ladder glitch to pick up the Magnet Beam on the first visit to ElecMan's stage, the pause glitch for fast boss fights, and presumably all kinds of other issues. Plus frankly I expect that a "glitchless" Mega Man run would be pretty dull. Though that's just me.
You need the magnet beam for Wily 1. Hard mode of this game removes all power ups, which would greatly limit the usage of such things, at least toward the end. That may be the closest one can get and uses this version.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
So with the movement and the layout of which apparently strike very similar to the NES version should we actually compare it to the NES TAS? Because there is no use/mention of this TAS using the hardest difficulty, it looks like it's running off normal difficulty and it probably is and no memory card which would help load said hard difficulty.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
I’m voting meh, as I like the run itself, but the game looks like exact clone of the NES version, even the glitches are similar.
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Techokami
He/Him
feos wrote:
Eeeeehhhh... Wily Wars' version of Mega Man 1 does have some differences, aside from enhanced graphics and sound.
  • The water section of Ice Man's stage has completely different physics, behaving more like Mega Man 2 and 3.
  • Some platform movements have different timings.
  • Invulnerability from taking a hit will actually protect you from spike-related death.
  • Bugfixes!
HOWEVER, Rockman Complete Works is literally the NES games on a PSX disc, with an alternate version that has remixed music, navigational guides for newbie players, and quick weapon switching, but since the original version was selected... why did you use this instead of the actual NES ROM?
Editor, Expert player (2012)
Techokami wrote:
but since the original version was selected... why did you use this instead of the actual NES ROM?
No competition.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
You'd think the author would weigh in about things...
There seem to be some differences between this and the non super glitched Rockman NES run. It does make me wonder if all the same glitches could be used in this one since as it's been said that it's the NES ROM emulated. Wily 3/4 seem different from my memory. Like is that a boss skip or just a weird death after the boss' life bar fills up. I wish I could explain more. Maybe I should make a comparison video, but I'm not skilled in that way. Just thinking of these things from memory too. The submission text is WAY too brief. I mean I would love to hear more about the differences to the game when using the NES menu and the PSX menu
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
There are clearly some differences from the NES version: * Less lag * Shoulder button weapon switch * No way to pause/unpause as quickly as select button on the original * The glitch that allows for picking up extra blocks doesn't work or wasn't used So it's slightly different but I don't know, it doesn't really impress me after all the runs there have been on this game. It seems to be well done though. More submission text would help a lot.
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
To be honest, this is pretty much just like the regular NES Rockman 1, except the sound effects in Rockman Complete Works sound dreadful in comparison (unless it's an emulator issue). Not only that, the constant popping up of the Navi pause menu in several stages is pretty annoying, in my opinion (even if it's for a glitch). Voting no.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!