Submission Text Full Submission Page
Ok, there have been quite a few Metal Storm runs submitted lately, but here is the first one that plays in expert mode and actually gets the real ending. I put in a password in the beginning which starts me out in the beginning of expert mode with the gravity fireball powerup. To play in expert mode you either need to beat the normal mode or enter a password, so I think this is fair. When entering the password quickly, the letters displayed are not what the game reads. The password I actually used is B10-5(heart)RJ-27V.
The main glitch used allows me to bounce around as a fireball, it's done by hitting jump at the right frame. The same technique also allows me to jump off of spikes, whether or not I have the fireball. If you consider it a glitch, it's possible to hit enemies off-screen. I use this several times, including on the last boss.
In expert mode all enemies take more hits, and there are more of them. Besides that, the distribution of powerups is more sparse. The bosses not only take more hits, but have new attacks or different patterns. The first boss has a homing shot, the second fires more often, the third and fourth move faster. Can't tell much about five. On the sixth boss, each platform takes a different number of hits: 2, 5 and 8. Their vulnerability times are independent, so it's only critical to hit the 8-hit one as soon as it opens up. Note that on boss 5 the right of the room is supposedly spiked, but I hop around on it anyway. On boss 6, the platforms are supposed to be the only safe spots to stand. I don't like following rules. :) The last boss actually has some defense in the form of these fireballs that seem to be flying around randomly. Well, despite all these changes, I'm less than a minute off of any of the submitted normal mode runs. Cheez has posted an 11:43 run in the forums which seems to be about the max for normal mode.
I take a hit on the stage 4 subboss. It kills the last cannon immediately, sacrificing my armor powerup. Since this hit finishes off the fight, the normal animation is skipped. Because the hit animation normally takes so long, it's not worthwhile to use anywhere else. It seems that an armor hit either kills the enemy instantly or does nothing, so it's less useful here than it is in normal mode.
Gravity fireball is extremely powerful, it's without a doubt the fastest way through most of expert mode as it does so much more damage than anything else. However, the sixth boss can only be damaged with shots, and takes twice as many hits without the power gun. Furthermore, he only takes one hit at a time, and the fight is close to a minute even with the power gun. For this reason I need to pick up the power gun in stage 6 and use it for the rest of the game.
When watching this, keep in mind that expert mode is impossibly tough. You may not realize it since I breeze through everything and even have room to showboat quite a bit. For fun, I try to bounce through some levels as a fireball, though other times it's more interesting to show that I've got some moves even when I'm not on fire. After each boss, I have some time to dance. It's tough to do as a clunky robot, but I manage to get a groove on to some extent. Another refinement is not missing any shots. There are a few times it may seem otherwise when I'm hitting something offscreen.
Killing as many enemies as possible isn't just for style, it also helps prevent the horrible slowdown that this game is prone to. This is particularly important when the enemies shoot at you. The gravity fireball is able to cancel out enemy shots, so I do this as well.
Some collaboration between Cheez and myself revealed a few flaws in the first two levels, mostly minor. I'm more confident about the later levels. The biggest improvement would likely be beating boss 1 before his blue thing withdraws. There's maybe 3 seconds of known improvement at the most. It looks like Cheez and I will have a little competition to make the next version. However, we agreed that this run was high enough quality to last timeattack fans until then. Enjoy!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #502: TheAxeMan's NES Metal Storm in 13:01.33
Former player
Heh interesting, certainly not what I expected it to look like. Yes vote from me, great game which deserved a solid run of expert mode, though unfortunately always being a fireball didn't really put you in much danger(also screws up the sound). For this reason stage 6 was by far my favorite. Why do the last head of the stage 2 boss out of order? Any way to kill some of the lasers or other things on Stage 5 to prevent lag?
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Well, even when you're a fireball all the time it's not like you aren't in danger. messing up by one frame is death, and I have to come out of it to do some movements. I just thought I'd show that it was possible to do it more or less as a fireball. In the first fight with stage 2 boss I couldn't find an optimal order which would have me going from one to the next the whole time. With fireball I need to kill one all the way before going on to the next since I have to take a few steps into their little nook. I'm vulnerable when jumping to the next one so I can't do it when either one is firing. If you kill one of them while it's firing, the shot finishes firing. In stage 5, almost all the lasers are positioned so that you'd have to go out of the way to kill them. I tried killing some of them anyway, but it was always faster just to take the lag than to take the time to kill them. They just take too many hits and are positioned too poorly. The gun is too weak, and I have to be on top of them to fireball them, which ends up taking more time then it's worth.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
This is completely off topic, but I've just noticed that your avatar can also be interpreted as a boy holding a sword (which I would guess is the correct interpretation) instead of a man with a huge black beard, a big baseball cap turned to the left, holding a shiny stick, which I've seen it as up until now.
(Also OT) ...yes, that one's from Crystalis, another AxeMan work. Since it's likely you would get the sword before buying your first armor, they used that sprite for every sword you get afterwards--even when you're wearing some. (If you'll notice, the shirt the guy is wearing is one of those short-sleeved jersey types--odd for a man in his, er, profession. At least he isn't wearing one of those "rediculous ties"...) Ok, ok, some movie-related comments. On level...4, I believe, when you're inside that moving box, you don't destroy the pink enemies, rather choosing to jump over and move around them. Aestetics? On the sixth and seventh level, when you fight the platform bosses, you sometimes don't position yourself to shoot right when the hatch opens (although you don't miss a shot, either). Was that due to manipulating when the hatches open, or what?
On level...4, I believe, when you're inside that moving box, you don't destroy the pink enemies, rather choosing to jump over and move around them. Aestetics?
Yup, just showing off. :) Slowdown starts at a certain threshold, so if there's no danger of reaching that then there's no reason I can't have some fun. In general it only seems to be a problem with enemies that have some sort of shot.
On the sixth and seventh level, when you fight the platform bosses, you sometimes don't position yourself to shoot right when the hatch opens (although you don't miss a shot, either). Was that due to manipulating when the hatches open, or what?
As I said in the submission text, it's only critical to hit the one that takes the most hits right away. I make sure to hit him as soon as opens up, but I can wait on the other ones. The shot doesn't have to be at point blank as long as I time it so it hits at the right time. There doesn't seem to be any way to manipulate the openings, after taking a hit they close down for a set amount of time and then reopen. The exception is in the beginning of the fight, they all open briefly and then close whether you hit them or not.
Former player
That was very well done. I am not too comfortable with how you use a password to start with an extra weapon, but if you didn't you would have to wait unti area 2 to get the G. That invincible jumping around with G was impressive.
Former player
I finished my run....136 frames slower...ugh...looks like you get to keep this one, because I'm so tired of the 6th boss, that I never want to run this again. The slowdown issues with the game make it less enjoyable to run for me as well.
....136 frames slower...
Sorry to hear that. This game is pretty tough to timeattack when you take the lag into consideration. I've started my v2 and finished the first 3 levels a total of 207 frames faster. I'm at least a frame faster on every section too.