Post subject: Deprecation of Mupen64 - no longer accepted after 2016-12-31
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
There was a previous thread pushing this idea. It was announced 2 years ago that users should move onto something newer. Yet plenty of runs are still being made with Mupen64-rr, despite how horrible the emulation is, and that plenty of games aren't emulated quite right, even if you can complete them, and the video output in finished movie files for mass consumption is buggy and problematic. It also annoys our encoders to no end with ridiculous quirks. Mupen64-rr itself is no longer maintained, but there are forks that may end up going somewhere. In any case, we do have a newer emulator with more accurate emulation and sane rerecording tools - BizHawk. It may be lacking certain features you want, if so, ask their developers to add them. You may be unused to its interface - get used to it. BizHawk also offers some tools that did not exist in Mupen64-rr which you might end up liking. We are deprecating use of Mupen64-rr. I would like to say: "You have until December 31 2016 23:59 UTC to complete any runs you have started using Mupen64-rr, no exceptions will be made, unless you have been granted a continuance on your existing run." and: "If you feel you have a long run that already had a lot of work put into it, and will need a while to be completed, you may request a continuance in this thread. We will accept continuances until December 15 2016 23:59 UTC." But if I said that, some people would probably explode. So I'm not going to say it outright. However, we will be disallowing Mupen64-rr sometime in the future, even though no hard date is yet set. You've been warned. For developers, if you'd like to work on another N64 emulator and get it to a reasonable level of emulation and rerecording capabilities and performance, we can consider accepting that. You have over a year to get such an emulator ready.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Note that BizHawk comes with a lua script (M64_reader.lua) which can read .m64 movies from Mupen64-rr and play them back to be recorded as BizHawk movies. M64_Reader is verified to work with Super Mario 64, but not Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask. No other games have been verified to work or not work for now. This means that Super Mario 64 TASes can still be made in Mupen64-rr and submitted; they can be converted to BizHawk movies for submission.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
To add to what Mothrayas is saying, at the end of the day, we don't particularly care how you make your TAS, you can use a pencil and paper for all we care. But what you submit must be a movie file supported (such as BK2), and sync properly on accepted emulator versions for it. This generally best occurs when you use the appropriate emulator itself, but conversion tools do exist, and you're welcome to create your own conversion tools if you so desire.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
Nach, I think the correct capitalization is BizHawk. :p
Danfun64
He/Him
I take it that Anti-DS Mupen won't be accepted either xD. While that may sound obvious, it's still on the "Accepted but not preferred" list. On a related note, Doom demos are still in "Experimental", despite being officially supported now.
Player (208)
Requesting continuance on my N64 Bomberman Hero TAS that I've been doing on and off (mostly off obviously) since like 2009 or something. It's like 80% complete.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Bumping to make clear that, unless/until further notice, the proposed dates will be the ones in effect for the Mupen64-rr deprecation. To restate (from the OP): You have until December 31 2016 23:59 UTC to complete any runs you have started using Mupen64-rr, no exceptions will be made, unless you have been granted a continuance on your existing run. If you feel you have a long run that already had a lot of work put into it, and will need a while to be completed, you may request a continuance in this thread. We will accept continuances until December 15 2016 23:59 UTC. This means that users have, as of this day, 8 months to submit their Mupen64-rr movies, or 7.5 months to request a continuance otherwise.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
MTA
Requesting continuance on my N64 Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest TAS that I had originally attempted to start on back in 2011, but this current m64 i'm working on was started about the beginning of 2014, and i've been putting it on and off, and so far i got 17 minutes of it done