Submission Text Full Submission Page
Nach: There's an updated video of this run here.

• Played on FCEU
  • Uses no warps or passwords
  • Doesn't die or get hit (duh..)
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Genre: Puzzle
This game is known as Fire 'n Ice in USA, but since I'm from Europe, I have used the European version, Solomon's Key 2.
You're Dana in this game, a novice wizard. You are granted Ice Magic from the Queen of the winter fairies to extinguish the evil Flames from an evil wizard named Druidle.
The games contain 10 worlds with 10 levels in each world which I try to complete as fast as possible.
All you can do is move left/right and create an iceblock diagonally below you in the direction that you are facing.
When something is sliding/falling you can't move, and time itself is halted!
Since I'm not good at framecounting, so can you see me using various techniques on the same setting.
For example, if I'm standing on an ice block and want it to melt, I found no difference in turning to the right side and doing this, or turning to the left side.
Also, if I'm standing on an ice block, and there's a gap and then there's another block. I found no difference on creating an ice block and move over, or falling into the gap and jump up again.
The (in-game) time for each level (W = World):
W1: 3, 3, 5, 1, 5, 7, 17, 10, 9, 12
W2: 9, 13, 11, 12, 13, 20, 13, 10, 20, 6
W3: 4, 14, 21, 15, 20, 21, 8, 14, 5, 27
W4: 15, 19, 9, 10, 14, 19, 13, 25, 16, 49
W5: 11, 14, 20, 12, 30, 36, 19, 24, 17, 32
W6: 9, 20, 14, 16, 27, 10, 18, 6, 17, 44
W7: 16, 9, 39, 24, 16, 19, 23, 19, 1:00, 48
W8: 9, 10, 12, 4, 9, 17, 17, 14, 11, 1:03
W9: 7, 37, 21, 15, 38, 29, 22, 31, 17, 1:40
W10: 57, 35, 52, 1:14, 7, 1:12, 59, 41, 1:31, 9, 37
Please note that W10 have 11 levels. (10 levels + final)
I wish to give some great THANKS to Wilson Lau for his FAQ, which have been much help when planning the route for each level. (I maybe play exactly 90% of what he have written, so it's a damn good FAQ).
Also, I recently checked the forum and found out that someone was doing this game when I was on 10-7 or something.. It was never my mention to steal this work.
I'm sure this run can be improved a little. Anyone who have the time, please do so. Do not be afraid to "steal" my work, I'm just happy if someone can improve this!
I didn't find any glitch or such things, so why would this be approved on this site? Well, like Bisqwit said on the forum "I think this game has similar potential as Lolo.".
So, to all of you who have spending hours and hours on this game, here is the run for it!
Note: If you wait a while after the ending so will you gain the secret code for 5 hidden worlds!

Bisqwit: Although there's probably technically nothing wrong in this movie itself, it's submitted to the wrong site.
It's a colourful and very instructive walkthrough, but not exactly something very entertaining or even awesome (besides solving all the puzzles). I'll reject this submission, but in any case, Dada has made an AVI of it for those who are interested: (removed dead link)
Dada: I've reuploaded the AVI of this movie to the Internet Archive, to those who are interested. View the details page for more information, or directly download high (419 MB), normal (191 MB), or low (64 MB) quality AVI files.

Bisqwit: Resurrecting this submission to give it a second chance!

mmbossman: Seems there is no longer a need to keep this resurrected, as this is now on the workbench. Returning to 'rejected' status.

Nach: Here's the video to watch directly: (flowplayer module removed) This video is a great Solomon's Key 2 walkthrough / Fire 'n Ice walkthrough.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #530: Ragowit's NES Fire 'n Ice in 1:04:05.50
Former player
Sorry mate. It seems to desynch on level 1-5 which unfortunately is in the very beginning of the game =/
/Walker Boh
Editor, Active player (296)
Walker Boh wrote:
Sorry mate. It seems to desynch on level 1-5 which unfortunately is in the very beginning of the game =/
Same here. Until I said -pal 1
Former player
I'll vote yet to this because I concider it well played for a first time submitter. Also, the low re-record amount doesn't make this worse. Pretty nice actually! The game is not the most fast paced I've ever seen but I found it relaxing to watch. Also I never thought they had a boss in a game like this ;)
/Walker Boh
Emulator Coder
As with all puzzle games, even the best effort can at times be nothing more than a pure walkthrough. I do however believe that this was played as fast as possible, and I cannot find any obvious flaws. The only 2 levels I was wondering if could be done faster was 5-3 and 9-10. Unless someone soon says there is a blatant obvious flaw in this run, I will vote yes, holding my vote until more people have watched it for now.
hmm i'm not sure what to think of this one. having never played this game (or the original before) ever, it might be just me when i say, while watching this run i thought "wtf is he doing that for? why not just do this?" some of the levels i thought were needlessly long. but as i say, hav'nt never played the games before i'm not sure how the mechanics works so i could be wrong. i'm sure a improved run could be done but for now its a good standpoint for others to beat.
Solomon's Key 2 isn't called a puzzle game for nothing... But qualitywise, it is for Solomon's Key the same what Boku Dracula-kun is for Castlevania. In my opinion, the case is even more severe, because I can watch this movie easily at 200% speed without missing anything. It's a nice visual walkthrough, but it's not exactly in the scope of this site.
Post subject: AVI file encoded
Aw. This was never accepted. I'm making an AVI of this. EDIT: 1 hour long, 195MB, XviD two-pass, LAME MP3. :) Enjoy.
This submission was resurrected!
Skilled player (1885)
On the plus side: *I personally like this game, and find this run enjoyable to watch. So in my opinion, it would make a nice addition to the site. On the other hand: *It can be improved on some levels. I intend to finish the run I'm working on sometime this summer, implementing those improvements. That doesn't have to mean that this submission can't be published though, just so the encoders and publishers are aware that you'll probably see another Fire n' Ice submission soon. *It's made with the European version of the game. The E and the U versions are very similiar, so I think this submission is in violation with this rule.
Not my style, but a skillful execution. Problem is, it ignores:
Rules.html wrote:
Use the (U) version of a ROM unless there is a good reason not to (as an example a shortcut/trick which only works in a different version, or superior music), or the version does not exist.
And a faster run is in development using the correct ROM. Voted meh.
Great run, sometime looked improvable, so probably easily to obselete but still well played and I think that such run is a big help for a new run... yes : about his gameplay, I see no reason to reject this.
Banned User
My first reaction when I saw its duration in the title was "oh no this is going to get boring after 5 minutes". Well, I was wrong. This was entertaining for the whole hour, and that's rare for submissions this long, they usually get boring and/or repetitive after a while, but not this one, it could retain my attention from the first to the last minute. Yes vote.
Gone.
Definitely a worthwhile run that kept me very interested, which for its length, is incredible. Some darn fine solutions and quick work of some levels inspires me to find this in my collection and fire up a game or two myself. Wish I had the encode from the 4 years ago... Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
very interesting movie for a very interesting game.Even tough some parts are improvable i still vote yes. it's one of those game that will be improved by beter logic and not game physics \o/
Personally I found it interminably dull; the gameplay isn't quick and the puzzles often required a lot of repetitive actions to build up slidable blocks.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
saw the link to randil's progress and would definitely vote for that over this since it does appear it will be finished unlike, say, when we shot down those zelda ocarina of time improved runs years back because people were working on even more improved versions that never happened
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!