Submission Text Full Submission Page
Playing one player in this run was difficult to accomplish. I used SNES9x v.1.43-dev. The .smv file won't work in any other version. Even in the finished version of v.1.43. I didn't stop recording the demo until the "beat the game" message comes up. So the ending time reads 15:39.
I start out with 3 rests and on Normal mode. I speed run the game without killing any enemies (with my gun) except at bosses/mid-bosses; and I use the "Beserk" powerup to my advantage. Not dying once. I also try to collect as many bombs as I can just to match the number of rests I have..
Some of the bosses were kind of annoying. The wall climber boss was the boss I had most trouble with since he kept moving up and down. I end up beating the Level 2 boss in around 2 seconds.
After seeing the other Contra 3 movie by Phil and Genisto, I learned that using two Crushes (or Contra missles if you will) work very well against bosses. As well at the "trick" with the metal balls versing the end boss.

Bisqwit: As the others have already pointed out at the forums, this submission could be a lot better. Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #548: Tatsuhiko's SNES Contra III - The Alien Wars in 15:38.85
Former player
Cool idea with a nokill-run. But you should do something about your missed shots here and there. Why just Normal mode? HARD mode would be alot more entertaining :) And with only 77 rerecord this is well played. Good work.
Wheeeehaaa.. Yaaayy..
I should try it on hard, but I felt that it would be too hard since the amount of enemy and how fast they respawn.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Former player
I don't know how to start my post so I'll simply list the things that are, in my opinion, wrong with this movie: 1) You did not play at the hardest difficulty setting 2) We have a faster run published already, which is played on hard 3) You were sloppy: it is very clear that there are a lot of delays that you did not bother fixing. Use more rerecords to correct your mistakes and use slow motion for accuracy. If there is a shadow of a doubt in your mind that something can be done faster, test it. 4) There are a lot of missed shots 5) I don't think sacrificing time just because you want to collect bombs for fun is a good idea I have nothing against no-kill runs but this just isn't a very good one, sorry.
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Yes, great idea, but poorly executed. As others have pointed out, any speedrun should be on the highest difficulty. You've got the current version to see for comparison, there are quite a few things you need to do. There may be potential here, but even though Contra seems simple, it will take a while to produce a high-quality timeattack. It may not be possible to maintain forward movement all the time with no kills, but you should be able to do much better if you work at it some more. Good luck, hope you can stick it out.
Doing a No-Kill speedrun of Contra3 on hard is impossible. Even with slow motion. On hard, the sniper on Level 3 would be impossible to get past no matter how skillful you think you may be. Although there might be more than that, that was the only one I could think of. Being that a no-kill speedrun of contra 3 would be impossible, I'm wondering if I should re-submit a less sloppy/more expert looking normal difficulty run. Would you guys want me to do that? One question: I'm still looking up to this day to get the Slow Motion option. Is it in a modified version of Snes9x? If so, where could I look for it so I can drastically improve this run?
Former player
Slow motion is built in to snes9x versions 1.40+. To activate it, use shift- or shift+ to change the framerate of the game. Also, if the game isn't played on hard, it will very probably not be accepted for publishing.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Experienced player (527)
Shift +/- to change the emulation speed (without Shift, it changes the frameskip instead), Pause to stop, \ for frame advance (but on my keyboard, it's Shift-\). And for some reason when I tried to watch it, it kept desyncing at the start of the second level ... (edited: just realized it's because I have the final 1.43 version, not dev, so nevermind)
Player (67)
If you want to remap keys like save, load, frame advance, etc, get the ZeldaFix version. It should be floating somewhere around this thread. It's much better than the "official" version. To be on the safe side, make sure the movie works in 1.43 (or whatever) as well, and you're good to go. So far, I haven't had any desyncs between this ZeldaFix version and 1.43 final. (edit: although now that I read some more, I guess it isn't supposed to be compatible with that particular version, so I've just been lucky... )
Thanks for telling me.