Submission Text Full Submission Page
for corrupt movie are really 769 rerecords (sorry for my bad english)

feos: Judging...
feos: Hello, jmosx36, and welcome to TASVideos! Unfortunately, your run can't be accepted.
The first reason is that it is slower than the unassisted record. The movie rule about beating all existing records explicitly says: "If your tool-assisted movie is slower than the non-tool-assisted world record for the same game, aiming for the same goals, your movie will be rejected."
Secondly, the rule about movies that should be complete addresses this game's never-ending nature: "If a game never ends, then it may be considered complete once there is no new content introduced, and the difficulty no longer increases." In this case, the run should end after the last unique level is shown, which is stage 35, Volcano Valley.
That said, the goal choice here, while looking odd for a layperson, is in fact perfectly fine for a speedrun of this game, mostly because it is supposed to max out your stats in order to speed you up eventually, so you could reach (and beat) level 35 sooner. This run just happens to be doing all this sub-optimally.
Rejecting. Better luck next time!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5477: jmosx36's SNES Super Off Road "fast max upgrades" in 13:57.04
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Suboptimal input right out the gate. Also: [[url=http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources.html#4]4[/url]] Movies using Snes9x v1.43 are not accepted unless a continuance is granted. Movies using Snes9x v1.51 or newer are accepted but the emulator is deprecated.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
amazing intro in the encode
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
Voting no for not showcasing all the tracks.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Voting No because it's incredibly boring. And I don't understand the goal.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
feos wrote:
Voting No because it's incredibly boring. And I don't understand the goal.
The goal is to max out all of the truck's upgrades, which is 99 units of Nitro and 6 units of everything else. I personally wouldn't count the Nitro since it's a finite resource instead of an actual upgrade. Also, voting No for the same reason as PikachuMan. I don't know if the track sequence is RNG or if there's a set pattern that eventually loops.
Previous Name: boct1584
Dwedit
He/Him
I'm not 100% sure, but the play looked a little sloppy.
Player (48)
All i know about these super off road games, is there like the original Donkey Kong arcade, where they go on infinitely forever... I used to have the Game Gear super off road when i was a little, and i recall playing it for 2 or 3 hours straight without losing a single race..and the stupid game would never freaking end.. i do seriously wonder if any of these games for any platforms there on...have any possible "kill screen" where it will end in SOME form anyone possibly know ?? im just curious i was looking at a FAQ guide today after seeing this thread, for SNES super off road, and it said something like "highest money count is 9,999,999 - it will take aproxmiately 667 races ... or 16 whole days, 24 hours each ...to reach that.. what the hell ???
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
You misplaced a decimal there. 9,999,999 divided by 150,000 (money for 1st place) is 66.6. With manipulation to collect 4 moneybags (extra 100,000) that can be brought down to 39.99999. EDIT: This was a game I enjoyed very much growing up. I would actually love to see a "full" run of this, which I would define as "until track order loops."
boct1584 wrote:
This was a game I enjoyed very much growing up. I would actually love to see a "full" run of this, which I would define as "until track order loops."
Before I start digging into it from scratch, can you please explain what's going on in the run? And if you can, also address whether the goal used here contradicts fastest completion time, or are they probably equal?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
The stated goal of the run is to maximize the truck's upgrades; as I said, that's 99 Nitro and 6 each of the other upgrades. You start with $100,000 to upgrade; you earn $150,000 from a 1st-place finish, $100,000 from 2nd-place, and $50,000 from 3rd-place. (4th place is a game over.) The total cost of upgrading everything is $1,680,000, not counting however much Nitro you might want to buy (Nitro is a consumable resource for a quick boost.) If you never use Nitro and only buy it, that's another $990,000. However, up to 8 pickups can appear on the track throughout a 4-lap race; 4 for Nitro, 4 for cash. First Nitro pickup is worth 1 Nitro and 1st cash pickup is $10,000, second of each is 2 Nitro or $20,000, and so on. Maxing out the truck's upgrades other than Nitro can be done within 12 races ($150,000 x 12 races = $1,800,000) if you do not collect any cash pickups and you do not buy any Nitro. If you can manipulate the cash pickups such that you can collect all 4 and still finish 1st, that cuts it down to 7 races ($250,000 x 7 races = $1,750,000.) I don't know where the tracks stop changing in the game order. (The game has you run some tracks backward, then adds sand blocks to others, and so on.)
Dwedit
He/Him
NES Super Off Road does stop eventually, I've beaten that game several times.
10RingBox
He/Him
Long time lurker here, hopefully I can shed some light on this run. I was one of the first people to bring Super Off Road to the speedrunning community and my run from Extra Life 2013 is the one where I laid out the "rules" for the speedrun that have become the community standard. I went with "Max Upgrades, 99 Nitros" because at that point there is nothing left to do in the game (other than race on tracks you haven't seen yet). The track pattern is fixed, it is not RNG. There are 16 tracks in the game each with 4 permutations for a total of 64 total tracks. (Forward/Backward and Forward/Backward with hay bales.) The reason I didn't go with 64 tracks was because you will start to see duplicates before you reach the 64th level. I forget the exact number, but you won't see the final "original" track until 70-something levels have passed. Item spawns are "random" but in a TAS I am certain they can probably be manipulated. The location they appear in is chosen at random from about 2-4 different possible locations per track. Some of them are better than others (e.g. on "Redoubt About" the item spawns in the upper right which is not optimal, there is a far more optimal spot on the inside of the large turn.) The reason the runner goes with Tire upgrades first instead of Top Speed is because upgrading tires reduces the effect that different kinds of terrain has on your truck, so it's an overall better time save through efficiency of your vehicle rather than blasting at maximum speed and getting slowed down by water and sand. That said, it's an honor to see a speedrun category I came up with get the TAS treatment. Kudos jmosx36! :)
Judge, Skilled player (1288)
If anyone is still perplexed by this run objective, I have to note that on speedrun.com this game only features such branch, that is "Max Stats, 99 Nitros": http://www.speedrun.com/superoffroad Apparently, this may be considered as 100% completion, according to the speedrunning community.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Kon wrote:
There are 16 tracks in the game each with 4 permutations for a total of 64 total tracks. (Forward/Backward and Forward/Backward with hay bales.) The reason I didn't go with 64 tracks was because you will start to see duplicates before you reach the 64th level. I forget the exact number, but you won't see the final "original" track until 70-something levels have passed.
Do you know at what point the final unique (named) track appears? I think that would be a good stopping point for a 100% run, while I would agree with your rationale of "99 Nitros, Max Upgrades" for any%.
10RingBox
He/Him
boct1584 wrote:
Kon wrote:
There are 16 tracks in the game each with 4 permutations for a total of 64 total tracks. (Forward/Backward and Forward/Backward with hay bales.) The reason I didn't go with 64 tracks was because you will start to see duplicates before you reach the 64th level. I forget the exact number, but you won't see the final "original" track until 70-something levels have passed.
Do you know at what point the final unique (named) track appears? I think that would be a good stopping point for a 100% run, while I would agree with your rationale of "99 Nitros, Max Upgrades" for any%.
Volcano Valley is the last "new" course encountered in the game. It is the 35th stage.
How many stages does this run beat? And how is its time compare to the unassisted record?
10RingBox
He/Him
feos wrote:
How many stages does this run beat? And how is its time compare to the unassisted record?
I didn't count in the TAS but it ends less than 21 stages into the run, as stage 21 is Cutoff Pass which is where my route used to end. The current WR for this game is 13:56, held by geiken.
Yeah I mean how do they compare if we consider the possible timing difference? TASes count from power on, real-time runs use to count from gaining control on the... car in this case?
10RingBox
He/Him
feos wrote:
Yeah I mean how do they compare if we consider the possible timing difference? TASes count from power on, real-time runs use to count from gaining control on the... car in this case?
Ah, my apologies. Time for unassisted runs begins the moment the "S" fade out begins after entering your name.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
15 stages are played, ending input at the first appearance of Rio Trio and gameovering there.
I cut off the beginning (before the S fade out begins) and this run looks slower than the current unassisted world record (also done on SNES):
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... *burp*!
10RingBox
He/Him
feos and I have been talking via PM and they've requested I share some of the improvement insight I had for this run here:
I would say maximum upgrades would still be optimal as each of the upgrades overall would save enough time/frames compared to just barreling through the races at TAS speed. Wheels reduce the effect of terrain, shocks reduce the effect of bumps/pits, and top speed/accel are self-explanatory. The submission doesn't quite show this, but each of the races has an item spawn that is optimal and easy to pick up with little to no time loss. Combining this optimal placement with manipulation to obtain only money bags early on would theoretically allow for $250,000 ($150,000 for 1st place + $100,000 in pickups) per race which factors out to max stats after just 7 races. Then, through manipulation from the 8th race onward to only spawn Nitro powerups you can get 10 Nitros per race and win $150,000 for coming in first, which means 99 Nitros can be obtained in 4 races and you save 10 frames each race for having collected the Nitro during the race as opposed to spending money buying them between races. From there it would just be a matter of blasting through races with a maxed out truck until you finished race #35, Volcano Valley. Getting to race 35 would take slightly longer than the current submission, but I feel like the runner picked this route because this is currently the only community-accepted run type for the game. Hope this helps! :)
This run is definitely improvable big time, but it's a great start for a great game!
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
The arcade version has 8 tracks, while several home ports (including the SNES) add more tracks. TASing the NES version, cut off after 43 races. TASing the Genesis version, the game ends after 48 races. TASing the arcade version, cut off after 24 races.