Submission Text Full Submission Page

The game :

Harvest Moon is a RPG game where your main goal is to develop your farm.

Game objectives :

• To be married
  • Luck manipulation

Love story :

• Spring 1 : I arrived in my new farm if you can name that like this… The stone wall is broken, a field of weeds and stones, a little timber house and full of cut tree trunks. Not very motivating…. A man comes and presents himself as the shipper and of course he asks me my name because I’m a new comer, he wants to be welcoming…. I’m very lazybones, so I take just one kana. He wants me to go with him. I don’t know what to do so I follow him. We arrive in the village and the shipper wants me to meet every interesting person. Faster I am, faster I’m in my home so let’s go! I know what you think but I never wanted to be here, it’s my father! He wanted me to leave at my grandparent’s farm…. I begin with the Livestock store owner, he sells animals. I meet Ann, Eve, Maria, Nina and her mother and now, I finally can come back to my house!
  • Spring 2 : I wake up but I don’t know what I will do today…. I go outside of my house and What? A dog is coming to me and a girl is following him! My heart stops when I see her. She asks me to keep the dog and of course I say YES! But I thought it was a love proposal…. I can’t believe myself, I have in front of me one of the most beautiful goddess I ever encounted! She asks me a name and I think I reply : “Do you want to be my girl?” but I think just one word comes out… She says me it’s a good name and leave my farm. At this point, my motivation blew up at 100%! I must to upgrade my house and buy a blue feather to marry her. I need 42 stumps and 5000G to upgrade my house and 1000G to buy the blue feather. The faster way to have it is to cost fishes in the mountain. For one week, I cost most fishes as I can and cut all stumps I need every day.
  • Spring 3-7 : I’m working hardly…
  • Spring 8 : I finally have all what I need to upgrade my house tomorrow. I worked hardly every day with this dog always on my path! I go today asking carpenter to come in my farm to upgrade my house and I finish my today’s work.
  • Spring 9 : Carpenter comes in my farm and the transaction is done. He tells me his work will take 4 days to finish (Are you kidding me right now? ). Now I have to earn money and conquer the heart of my loving Ellen to buy the blue feather. So today, I cost two more fishes because I don’t have the time for the third and last fish.
  • Spring 10 : Today, I’ll speak with Ellen! She is in the village, in front of his Uncle’s store. She asks me a question, I answer what she want me to say, I enter his uncle’s store and I come back again, she asks me the same question, I reply the same answer etc… It’s harassment, but that works with here! I ever saw that in an animated series of an adventurer with green hood (You see what I mean? 😉) so, it’s not prohibited!When I have enough interest in her heart, I come back to my house and cost my last fish in the mountain.
  • Spring 11 : I’m so tired today to do something…
  • Spring 12 : Ellen comes to my farm for a second time ! She asks me to retrieve her lost bird (She loves animals, but she doesn’t seem to take care of them) I find the bird in the mountain and come back with him. She is so happy, and she sees he is very cool and you know what?! She asks me to release him! I look the bird flying away and I feel sweet lips on my cheek… She kissed me, and my heart is accelerating, I look her, but she is leaving. I stay here as a stake in the middle of my farm….
  • Spring 13 : I can buy the blue feather tomorrow because the peddler comes on Sunday…
  • Spring 14 : I go buying the blue feather to the peddler and take it in my tool shed.
  • Spring 15-19 : I have to wait the next Saturday to propose her my hand…
  • Spring 20 : I come in the village, go to the livestock store and… SHE SAYS “YES” !

Some game’s mechanic:

• Weather: the weather of a day is determined by a RNG when you go in your bed 2 days before. You need, in this run, a sunny day for each one.
  • Ellen and other girls: affection of a girl is increased of 8 by “YES” answer when they ask you something, the special event of each one increase his affection for you of 50 points (Ellen’s event is the bird). You need 250 points or 10 hearts to marry her and 200 points are needed to unlock the event of the girl. There is a RNG to manipulate which determines is she asks you the question or not. The RAM address for Ellen's affection is 011F25.
  • Costing: There is two RNGs for this one: one determines how many times you will have to wait to catch something. I never figured out it, so I put the best I found (one way to improve this run). The other determines what you’ll cost (I only need fishes).
  • Working days: You can drop object every day in your box before 5H pm to be paid for it the following day by the hawker.

Special Thanks:

• Thanks to g33koftrades, he asked me to do this TAS by his own route because he can’t do it in real time.
  • Thanks to the speedrunning community of this game who helped me on this TAS too.
  • Thanks to samurai goroh and his previous submission #3516: samurai_goroh's SNES Harvest Moon "any%" in 02:18.78.

Noxxa: This is a pretty interesting category, and I like the theme you went for here. Ultimately, however, the movie does not really have too much going for it in the entertainment/audience response department, and the movie runs into issues such as the category not beating the game. I'm rejecting this movie for these reasons.
Regarding password usage, I think it can be permissible for a run of this game, but only as long as the movie still reaches a sensible goal for it (e.g. best ending), and as long as it can get a good enough viewer response for Moons.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5825: ViGadeomes's SNES Harvest Moon "Marriage" in 29:31.77
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Cause the encode cuts "short". (And videos I've checked brings up nothing... and I don't want to turbo this.) Does this pull up credits? I know "Best/Bad Ending" does (one is hours, the other is minutes).
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Watching it now in Bizhawk to check. I find myself wondering. You can reasonably find 4 or 5 power berries pretty quick (1 on mountain from stumps, 2 on farm from stumps (different days) 1 from smashing chicken statue, 1 from returning first fish caught in a given day to the pond.) Would picking some up save any time from raising your stamina enough to suppress the exertion animations, after factoring in the power berry eating animation? EDIT: The movie does not clear to credits. Input ends as soon as Ellen's text box accepting the marriage proposal is cleared past.
Previous Name: boct1584
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Judge, Active player (303)
My goal was Marriage, if I try to reach the credits, I have 2 options : *1) using a password included in the game to finish it ( I asked to Mothrayas, He said NO !) *2) go to the bed each morning during 3 years, so ~40 more minutes where nothing happens ! I preferred to do not reach the end because it will be so long and repetitive... I didn't think about power berries...
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Spikestuff wrote:
Cause the encode cuts "short". (And videos I've checked brings up nothing... and I don't want to turbo this.) Does this pull up credits?
I redo the temp encode
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
I watched the movie start to finish, and I liked how it did what it did. It accomplished its goal in a reasonable time frame. I would also like to argue in favor of allowing the button-code for jumping to the ending in this movie, to give it a definitive endpoint and make it publishable. My rationale is this: after the goal of "get married" is complete, there is nothing left to do aside from "go to sleep for about 150 more cycles" to advance to the end of Summer Year 3. Therefore, there is technically "no new content" from that point, so in my opinion skipping it is permissible. I always hear about "taking things on a case-by-case basis" as opposed to establishing precedents, so let's talk this out.
ViGadeomes
He/Him
boct1584 wrote:
I watched the movie start to finish, and I liked how it did what it did. It accomplished its goal in a reasonable time frame. I would also like to argue in favor of allowing the button-code for jumping to the ending in this movie, to give it a definitive endpoint and make it publishable. My rationale is this: after the goal of "get married" is complete, there is nothing left to do aside from "go to sleep for about 150 more cycles" to advance to the end of Summer Year 3. Therefore, there is technically "no new content" from that point, so in my opinion skipping it is permissible. I always hear about "taking things on a case-by-case basis" as opposed to establishing precedents, so let's talk this out.
Thanks, but I let judges decide.
This seems like a bad choice for a goal for this game. There is far more that can be shown in this game by going for the "best ending" as done in traditional speedrunning. For example, I suspect that exploiting the power berry glitch would be faster than finding all the power berries normally. However, I would advocate that the rule banning the use of passwords to jump to the credits be allowed an exception in such a run since the player would otherwise go to bed for the rest of the game (which makes for boring gameplay).
Editor, Player (53)
First of all, I wanted to say that I did enjoyed the movie and already voted yes, congrats for making a more serious run than my gag run ViGadeomes Now, I have some questions (which some of them were already answered) - When fishing, you already mentioned you couldn't determine the address, but I was wondering if you tried to fish then pull the rod and try fishing again? Definitely a time saver here when the RNG is figured out - I was wondering if digging for bags of coins was worth it, (but I suppose is not at it seems to be worth only 50g & you can only get 1 per day, but still...). Did you considered it? - If you have to skip several days for it to be a Saturday and be able to propose, would it had saved any time if you occasionally only did 2 trips to the mountains to get fish? (considering you wouldn't see some fatigue animations, similar to grabbing more power berries might save time in the end due to same reasons) - Did the dog made you lose any time? (like I remember you had to jump the fence at least once, not sure if that's slower or not but was different than usual)
I'm the best in the Universe! Remember that!
ViGadeomes
He/Him
samurai goroh wrote:
- When fishing, you already mentioned you couldn't determine the address, but I was wondering if you tried to fish then pull the rod and try fishing again? Definitely a time saver here when the RNG is figured out
It isn't eazy as it looks like : The waiting of the first cost of the day is determined somewhere at the beginning of the day. Next ones are determined by the first one and other things. For example, I wait one frame before entering in the mountain of the 3rd day to be able to cost the 2nd fish of the day before 5 pm to be paid for it the following day.
samurai goroh wrote:
- I was wondering if digging for bags of coins was worth it, (but I suppose is not at it seems to be worth only 50g & you can only get 1 per day, but still...). Did you considered it?
I considered it but the time to take the hoe in the tool box + time to switch between hoe and axe + time to wait the bag 6 times ( 6 days to have 300G ) + time for animations of low staminas... It's faster to cost one fish.
samurai goroh wrote:
- If you have to skip several days for it to be a Saturday and be able to propose, would it had saved any time if you occasionally only did 2 trips to the mountains to get fish? (considering you wouldn't see some fatigue animations, similar to grabbing more power berries might save time in the end due to same reasons)
I'm not sure I understand what you think but you have to finish 5000G and 42 stumps you need and call the carpenter the 8th day because he won't be able to finish upgrading your house before the 2nd Sunday (14th day). During this time, you have to increase Ellen's heart. Her special event is 2 days after the day you up to 200 affection points. And you NEED 250 affection points and an upgraded house the following day which is the 14th day (Sunday) to be able to buy the blue feather (1000G at this moment) with the peddler. At the same time before the 14th day, you have to earn the rest of the needed money for the blue feather. I'm not sure it's understandable but it's very technical and I'm not so crazy in english...
samurai goroh wrote:
- Did the dog made you lose any time? (like I remember you had to jump the fence at least once, not sure if that's slower or not but was different than usual
The dog made me lose some frames may be every day because when I have the fish in my hands when I enter in my farm, I have to go up or down on some frames to be able to drop the fish in the box. Jumping the fence is slower than running
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
What he's saying is effectively: "You need your house to be upgraded by the 12th, as well as have Ellen's affection at the appropriate level, to be able to buy the Blue Feather on the 14th (Sunday) to propose to Ellen on the 20th (3rd Saturday.)"
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Here's another idea. Nina's proposal day is Sunday. Could you theoretically raise her affection enough to propose to her right after buying the Blue Feather on the 14th?
ViGadeomes
He/Him
I think yes, but Nina is further than Ellen in the village, her special event is longer and at Sunday, she is on the top left of the mountain so if it's faster, i think it's close.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Y'know what, I've got spare time. I'm gonna put my money where my mouth is and make a test TAS of a Nina Marriage%. ViGadeomes, do you mind if I take your run as my basis? I figure my test will be more or less identical up until Spring 1-10 since I'll be talking to someone different.
ViGadeomes
He/Him
go for it, a TAS is supposed to help people doing the best possible ! But I advise you to see if this TAS is accepted or not on the site, It would be useless to lose your time on something if there is no rewards :P ! And if you take my run as a basis, maybe I'll be co-author at the end so.... x) If you try Nina begin without figure out RNG i didn't figure to see if you gain time and if yes figure out it and improve my movie at the same time with power berries if it's faster. You'll can ask me if you have some TASing questions on the game.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
All righty, let't take this back to the SNES Games forum.
Skilled player (1650)
ViGadeomes wrote:
I'm not sure it's understandable but it's very technical and I'm not so crazy in english...
Dans n'importe quelle langue, il est ésotérique et détourné. :)
ViGadeomes
He/Him
£e Nécroyeur wrote:
Dans n'importe quelle langue, il est ésotérique et détourné. :)
x) I have to be honest with all of you. At the beginning this TAS wasn't supposed to be submitted on the site, it was a first Valentine's fool to make some love on this amazing site :D. For me, this TAS wasn't "serious" anymore even if I made the best as I can on (I could do better as well). But the community wants it to be published and she is interrested by my baby so I let you all, judges and the community, decide its future <3.
Judge, Skilled player (1288)
ViGadeomes wrote:
I have to be honest with all of you. At the beginning this TAS wasn't supposed to be submitted on the site, it was a first Valentine's fool to make some love on this amazing site :D. For me, this TAS wasn't "serious" anymore even if I made the best as I can on (I could do better as well). But the community wants it to be published and she is interrested by my baby so I let you all, judges and the community, decide its future <3.
Look, I apprecciate the effort and the thought behind this run, but it's just very repetitive and arbitrary. I have no give a strong No vote.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
ViGadeomes
He/Him
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
Look, I apprecciate the effort and the thought behind this run, but it's just very repetitive and arbitrary. I have no give a strong No vote.
I completelly understand ! Before submitting it, I thought there were no way someone put a "yes" vote ! I put a "meh" vote on my own submission since I thought this submission wasn't serious --' (I won't do it on my next ones I promise). Maybe it's a site's bug? I don't know.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom