Submission Text Full Submission Page
Wing Commander is a space combat simulator released by Origin Systems in 1990. The game was ported to some consoles like the SNES in 1992 by Mindscape.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Bizhawk 2.3
  • Kills: 0%
  • Items: 0%
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Aims for minimum score
  • Forgoes time saving damage
  • Bad ending
  • Genre: Shooter
  • Genre: Simulation

Comments

The bad ending can be achieved by failing certain vital missions. This run does this by ejecting in all of the missions.

Stage by stage comments

There isn't much to say because the bad ending is reached really fast by ejecting.

ThunderAxe31: Judging.
ThunderAxe31: In this game, there are two different endings that can be triggered, which depend from the amount of missions completed successfully during the play. The bad ending is triggered even if all missions are failed.
In the submitted movie, the player used the eject command at the beginning of every mission, which basically consists in giving up and failing the current mission right away.
Since there is no actual gameplay required in order to reach the bad ending, it can't be considered as beating the game. Rejecting for trivial gameplay and failing to beat the game.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6043: PikachuMan's SNES Wing Commander "Bad Ending" in 05:21.75
Post subject: Re: #6043: McWave's SNES Wing Commander "Bad Ending" in 05:21.75
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Judge, Active player (303)
TASVideoAgent wrote:
    Aims for fastest time
    Forgoes time saving damage
It's a paradox x). Can we consider "bad ending" as a any% or is it longer than any% for this game ?
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2070)
I tried to watch this on an older emulator version....seemed to sync through a couple missions, but then desynced as the main character stopped ejecting. My thoughts/questions: How is this 'Bad Ending' different than a 'Game Over'? It fails the missions, which is akin to losing in my perspective. In my opinion, this TAS does not 'beat' the game and is thus not acceptable for publication. Also, button mashing by a human can achieve this ending result in a similar time. Perhaps an encode would change my perspective, but I doubt it. EDIT: FWIW, Encode didn't change my perspective. This game isn't beaten...it's lost.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
PikachuMan wrote:
Aims for fastest time Forgoes time saving damage
It's one or the other. Not both unless you can provide an actual explanation in the almost 5 and a half minutes on where you avoid damage abuse. Run syncs. It's boring. RTA is close to this so this just more Super Human. Would rather a more full run. No Vote. Encode for those that can't sync: Link to video
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
well, it's not bad as april fools submissions go.
Skilled player (1404)
Sorry man, but what a worthless run.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Active player (372)
I been hoping to see a Wing Commander TAS for a long time now, so I was very excited to see this on the main page. Unfortunately, this is not quite what I had in mind. I really don't consider this a "bad ending", it's just a game over condition. It even says so on the screen. Sorry, but I have to give a no vote for this one.
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1639)
hmmmmm.... Copy Paste, Copy Paste........Copy Paste. No Vote.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
A Game Over only happens when you die. The Bad Ending occurs if you end up finishing the last mission in Apocalypse by either play through it normally or by ejecting. Other games with multiple endings: - Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (2 endings) - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (3 endings) - Kid Kool (5 endings) - Chrono Trigger (too many to count) I'll be working on a 100% kills + good ending run. What parts are faster by afterburner and what parts are faster by autopilot? Use 2 controllers. You could play this with a PS4 controller with all functions mapped to the appropriate buttons.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Instead of going through the points people have mentioned you decided to justify yourself with several other games. So let's look at them.
PikachuMan wrote:
Other games with multiple endings: - Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (2 endings)
Based on who you finished the game with. Game is broken to hell and back so it's possible but not interesting to warrant a separation (especially when it's a Vault game here). Next.
PikachuMan wrote:
- Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (3 endings)
Based on days. And in TASes and speedruns. Speed is Key. Poor Justification. Next.
PikachuMan wrote:
- Kid Kool (5 endings)
Based on Time. And in TASes and speedruns. Speed is Key. Poor Justification. Next.
PikachuMan wrote:
- Chrono Trigger (too many to count)
14 isn't "too many" (15 if DS). Star Ocean says hi by the way, but to ignore the RPG element (as well as Fighting and Visual Novels)... Resident Evil: Outbreak says hi. You're also trying to justify this with an RPG game. And to stack on that to do an all endings TAS you have to run the DS version. Give a better justification when you go for a large game. The justifying this branch with these games that you listed were just terrible.
PikachuMan wrote:
Use 2 controllers. You could play this with a PS4 controller with all functions mapped to the appropriate buttons.
What does this have to do with an SNES controller? What in the line of TASing does this actually mean?
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Skilled player (1404)
At least in your other examples, interesting things are happening in the meantime. There is nothing interesting going on here.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
The second controller is used to roll. It is like having an extra pair of shoulder buttons. I made a WIP of the good ending that completes the Enyo System.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... want more!
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
TASVideos Grue wrote:
om, nom, nom... want more!
So... Gruefood Delight?
Judge, Skilled player (1288)
PikachuMan wrote:
So... Gruefood Delight?
Gruefood Delight wrote:
Gruefood Delight is a list of movie submissions that entertained some viewers but not enough to be published on TASVideos.
This submission has got some pretty bad votes. So, no.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
To see my updates of my WIPs to the "Good Ending" see this game's page under SNES Games.