(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
What else is there to say about this game, other than it sucks.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Bizhawk 2.2.1
  • Takes damage to save time
  • unofficial game
this bootleg is a port of the GBC version of A Bug's Life, however this version has only 4 levels.
there's not much to explain so here's a small detailed summary of some levels

Stage by stage comments

level 1

I jump over ledges and throw berries at enemies. I try to not spend time attacking the grasshoppers and instead damage boost through them as it's faster. a few instances where I have to jump over some worms that pop up as I don't want to take damage from them.

level 2

the most painfully slow level in the game. first I have to ride the beetle to knock down pillars and to launch past the falls, then I have to shoot the other dude into the grasshopper 3 times, the 3rd time I wait because I cant hit him right away like the others. I also have to manipulate the caterpillar to not sleep next to the golden leafs, then I have to wait for the spider to make webs to cross. all extremely slow.

level 3

just avoid enemies, damage boost through 2 grass hoppers, and so on.

level 4

Autoscroller, just avoid dying.
so yeah, this game sucks a lot, the SNES version is probably the worst version to play casually as it's hard to control. the Genesis version is a lot better gameplay wise because the controls are better, I might do that version eventually, but I wanted to do this version as it's the most well known version.

feos: Judging...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6064: EZGames69's SNES A Bug's Life in 07:59.73
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I haven't watched this yet, but I was wondering: why would you play a bad port instead of the original GBC version? Is the GBC version more boring since it has more levels?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3968)
mklip2001 wrote:
I haven't watched this yet, but I was wondering: why would you play a bad port instead of the original GBC version? Is the GBC version more boring since it has more levels?
the GBC version didnt look very appealing to me, plus I knew about the bootlegged games before I knew about the GBC game it was based on. I just wanted to do a bootlegged game for the heck of it and this was one I wanted to do for awhile.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
TASes of terrible pirate games is the best thing ever. It was a great shame that the Somari run was rejected even for vault. Somebody should do the terrible Doraemon game too, which is a hack of a hack of a pirate of Sonic 1. That these games can be played at all is amazing. Most pirate games have absolute garbage controls.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4139)
MrTickles wrote:
It was a great shame that the Somari run was rejected even for vault.
The one Somari submission that exists was rejected for being suboptimal. I'd give that game a reasonably good shot at getting published otherwise, since it definitely would be notable enough.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Ok, the game definitely sucks. It seems like the health management is reasonably good, but the game is so clunky that it doesn't feel optimal. I'm pretty indifferent on the entertainment value, mostly because the music was quite good.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
EZGames69
He/They
mklip2001 wrote:
I'm pretty indifferent on the entertainment value, mostly because the music was quite good.
The music was ripped from the SNES game "Bonkers" in case you wanna listen to the soundtrack.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Experienced player (511)
I know in the gameboy version you can skip the ladybug cannonball sequence in level 2 with a really precise jump over the grasshopper. I assume its not possible here? I was TASing the GB one a while back but it was so abysmally boring I stopped. Still is on the PS1 version. But totally vaultable. Edit: Just realized this only has 4 levels instead of the GB versions...8? 9? Don't remember. Probably should be obsoleted if that version is done.
EZGames69
He/They
RingRush wrote:
I know in the gameboy version you can skip the ladybug cannonball sequence in level 2 with a really precise jump over the grasshopper. I assume its not possible here? I was TASing the GB one a while back but it was so abysmally boring I stopped. Still is on the PS1 version. But totally vaultable. Edit: Just realized this only has 4 levels instead of the GB versions...8? 9? Don't remember. Probably should be obsoleted if that version is done.
Games on other systems cant exactly obsolete one another. Only in rare cases like for Earthworm Jim and probably some others that I dont know about. It’s why Genesis versions of a game cant obsolete an SNES version, they’re treated as separate games.
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Judge, Active player (303)
EZGames69 wrote:
RingRush wrote:
Games on other systems cant exactly obsolete one another. Only in rare cases like for Earthworm Jim and probably some others that I dont know about. It’s why Genesis versions of a game cant obsolete an SNES version, they’re treated as separate games.
I think they can if the difference between these two versions is very small. Most of the time, there are enough differences to do not be able to obsolete each others.
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
first stage, -368f: User movie #49245951108991612
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
EZGames69
He/They
TASeditor wrote:
first stage, -368f: User movie #49245951108991612
Oh cool! I didn’t expect such a time save. I’ll take a look when I’m able too, I’m going to be busy all next week so I cant watch it until then.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, bitter!