Submission Text Full Submission Page
Jungle Hunt is a home console port of the classic Taito arcade game. Released in 1983 for the Atari 2600, it was a rather faithful port of the original arcade game, with almost all of the elements carying over to the system. With the games simplicity came much difficulty, jumping from rope to rope, killing alligators (looks a lot more like punching), avoiding boulders, and jumping over cannibals isn't easy. Jungle Hunt was generally well-received and is arguably one of the best games on the Atari 2600.

Game objectives

• Completes game in shortest amount of time possible
  • Entertains without sacrificing frames
  • Manipulates programming errors
  • Has small luck manipulation

Comments

This run was a lot harder than my previous work. For one thing, the RNG was really hard to get around, especially during the fourth phase of the game. The way the RNG worked was based on how early I transitioned from the first to second phase of the game. The levels were simple, yet time consuming. I never remember spending so long trying to figure out the third and fourth phases of the game. It was worth it in the end, though.

Stage by stage comments

Deadly Forest

This was very simple. All I really did was jump from rope to rope as quickly as possible so the screen wouldn't stop scrolling. This stage was the setup for the RNG that would either make or break this TAS. Depending on how fast I completed this stage, the RNG would be different.

Reptile River

Reptile River was quite straightforward. Avoid and kill the alligators... also get air so you don't drown. The entertainment also started in this stage, but it ain't that noticeable unless you look at the input log. There wasn't really any way to control how fast this level went, in other words, it was an autoscroller. You know what they say: EVERYBODY LOVES AUTOSCROLLERS!!

Boulder Fields

This was the hardest segment to work with. The RNG was a lot less forgiving than last time. The larger boulders were an greater numbers this time and they were a pain to deal with. I also try to make the entertainment more noticeable. I kinda succeed, but you don't move fast enough to make epic wiggles. There's also a couple frames were I duck on accident so That slowed the run down by a couple frames. All is not lost though.

Cannibal Camp

Yeah, this was the segment that made me think: "My brain should be rotting by now". The RNG for the first happy go-lucky cannibal was okay and he was rather easy to get over with. But the second cannibal was a lot hungrier than the first. In other words, his RNG sucked. I ended up having to slow down to get him to hop in the right position so I could do the newly found "two jump" method (credit to Spikestuff) correctly and save more time.

The girl that constantly looks from side to side waiting for the explorer to join her and end the game

This scene in a nutshell: Walk a few steps, jump, and you beat the game.

Other comments

I would like to have tried to get some better RNG and make the entertainment a bit more noticeable. A few other things could be revised, but I think I did fairly welll.
I wonder how quickly this run will be obsoleted. I'm guessing a month or two. XD

feos: Rejecting due to massive sub-optimality.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6167: GameBreaker64's A2600 Jungle Hunt in 02:29.96
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Spikestuff wrote:
By the way don't hold the B button down it does nothing for this game.
>Does it anyways. Also you should've looked into the input I provided for you that way you would've known how to end the input for this game. 48 Frames Shaved Off. --- Edit:
Spikestuff wrote:
Using your input I was able to go from Deadly Forest to Reptile River sooner than what you've produced and landing straight into desync.
Same issue as the last submission, you could've gone into the next section a frame sooner. Didn't bother checking if it landed into desyncs.
GameBreaker64 wrote:
By the way, I held the B button because I was using an Xbox 360 gamepad to do inputs.
Please use TAStudio to clean your input. And DrD2k9's third point about if this game continues on loop. It does have a harder difficulty to top it.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
GameBreaker64
He/Him
Spikestuff wrote:
Spikestuff wrote:
By the way don't hold the B button down it does nothing for this game.
>Does it anyways. Also you should've looked into the input I provided for you that way you would've known how to end the input for this game. 48 Frames Shaved Off.
Well, I couldn't really copy your input exactly. I basically put your strat into action as best as I could. Also, what difference does holding the B button make? I was also holding it because I couldn't help feeling a little anticipation when it came to inputs.
Laying in bed, thinking about how many rerecords I will go through the next day.
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2070)
Some questions after watching the encode and reading through the game manual for the Atari 2600 version: 1) Is this run using the easy or expert game setting? (changed using the 'game select' switch) 2) The manual specifically mentions 14 crocodiles (which is exactly how many your run encounters), could the river portion be completed faster by killing all the crocs as soon as possible instead of letting some go by? 3) The manual states that the game becomes increasingly difficulty after each round of the 4 stages. (I don't know what changes with the difficulty curve.) Is one series of stages enough for completion? (this is probably best answered by a judge) Side Note: To be fair, #3 made me question my own published TAS of Jungle Hunt for the C64. For reference, that publication starts at the hardest difficulty setting; and in the manual for the C64 version, there's no indication that difficulty increases beyond this point. (Looking back, I probably should have researched that aspect more myself to confirm that it didn't increase).
GameBreaker64
He/Him
I'm honestly not expecting this to be accepted. A first movie isn't always perfect. But I'd consider this a good starting point, for me at least.
Laying in bed, thinking about how many rerecords I will go through the next day.
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2070)
Welcome to the community! For future reference, don't submit stuff you don't expect to be accepted. Use the userfiles to share those runs instead. If you are expecting your run to be published, then officially submit that run.
GameBreaker64
He/Him
Let's say I'm half expecting it to be published, half expecting it to be rejected.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
DrD2k9 wrote:
2) The manual specifically mentions 14 crocodiles (which is exactly how many your run encounters), could the river portion be completed faster by killing all the crocs as soon as possible instead of letting some go by?
I felt like trying. This alone saved 1544 frames. Should we really be waiting with this movie? Oh right. The ending. There's a "cutscene" at the end: during the scory tally (which only happens when you reach your wife): the characters start moving left and right (okay, dancing). It clearly indicates that the primary goal of the game has been reached, and all you have left now is doing everything over again, pretending you've just let the cannibals steal your wife yet again because it's fun. The game gets harder as the manual says, but I really consider this final event as the game's ending. Just like in Donkey Kong. EDIT: Then I tried the 3rd level alone (without the above improvement for the 2nd one): 91 frames faster. Come on, this isn't even funny. And finally, if you just jump on frame 8937 of your movie whole holding left, you can stop the movie there. The char will reach the wife and the score tally sill start.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... crunchy!
GameBreaker64
He/Him
I'm not really surprised this got rejected. It probably could've been better in several places. Time to get back to the drawing board.