Whew! Finally done with this one.
This is a 9.5 minute improvement over the first Lost Vikings movie and took more than two months to complete. This version is packed with various techniques and some glitches.
  • Emulator used: Gens 9a
  • As fast as possible
  • Uses no passwords
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Takes damage to save time
  • One player controls two characters simultaneously
I'll use Truncated's description of this game - In this action/puzzle game you control three vikings lost in time and space, each with their own special abilities needed to solve the levels.
The technique that saved the most amount of time was the "third player" element, which switches between characters so frequently, it looks almost as if there are three people playing. This is used constantly to keep motion between all three vikings.
Another technique was the shield-riding trick. I used it only a few times in the first movie, and using this technique can save a multitude of time if you find the right places.
Glitches used:
  • Falling key glitch - This glitch is pretty simple. Using a key on a keyhole while falling will prevent one of the characters from taking damage. I use this frequently.
  • Falling multicolor key glitch - This one is almost identical to the one above, only this uses a key on a different colored keyhole while falling to avoid damage. This also doesn't use up the keyhole. I was able to use this only once in WKYY.
  • Slide in to wall - This glitch involves an elevator. When on one, standing on the very edge and sliding into a wall, then moving over and back again quickly will get a character lodged into the wall. I only was able to use this once in BTRY. This glitch is similar to the Rockman 2 wall-omission glitch (only I can't zoom through walls, which would be awesome).
  • I can't think of a name of this glitch, so I'll describe it. In TRPD, there's a spot where pinchers are use to hold a block. When in the path of the pinchers, turning the direction opposite to the wall will get the character stuck in the wall, which happens to be on top of a door. Then, switching will cause the character stuck in the wall to fall to the ground and jumping will then cause him to get zoomed down reaching a button to skip a major part of said level.
  • Fall through horizontal door - This is only usable in one place - TRDR. This is, when falling, using a key on the door in the floor and falling through it. Giving it to another character enables that character to do the same.
  • Avoid damage by switching characters - This is when you're moving (falling or jumping), switch and switch back quickly and end up taking no damage. This used on enemie projectiles and temporary lasers.
  • This is more of a trick than a glitch, but you can sometimes walk over holes if able to find the right frame.
I want to thank Truncated, Nifboy, and BoltR for their input during the making of this movie. Without them, this movie wouldn't be nearly as good.
For reference, the levels appear in this order: - STRT - GR8T - TLPT - GRND - LLM0 - H0PP - TRSS - PRHS - CVRN - BBLS - TR33 - VLCN - QCKS - PHR0 - CIR0 - SPKS - JMNN - SNDS - TMPL - TTRS - JLLY - PLNG - BTRY - JNKR - RVTS - CBLT - H0PP - SMRT - V8TR - NFL8 - WKYY - CMB0 - 8BLL - TRDR - FNTM - WRLR - PDDY - TRPD - TFFF - FRGT - 4RN4 - MSTR
Enjoy!

Phil Processing.........

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #621: Ouzo's Genesis The Lost Vikings in 40:38.07
Player (67)
Extremely good timeattack, I say. Entertaining the whole time, has some really cool tricks, beats the current movie by over 9 minutes, etc. Very well done!
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I had already seen almost all of it, but I went ahead and watched all of it anyway. Very good, but you knew that already. :)
My sister and me have always been awaited for a The Lost Vikings movie from start to end. This one gets more entertaining as the levels pass, even though it's forty minutes long. It has a lot of cool tricks, it uses characters to solve puzzles that weren't designed for them, and many times you can see the three vikings on movement, though only two can be controlled at the same time. A great, funny movie to watch from a great, funny game. Highly recommendated. A big YES for this movie, and a big applause for his creator. Bravo!
No.
Former player
One quick question: In the first "candyland" stage, there was this odd moment where Olaf and the running viking were just waiting in front of a pump for about ten seconds. Then they used it to fly away. What was happening there?
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
Former player
I had to wait for that slow-moving platform below the key to move down.
Former player
OK then, YES from me. PS: Is it a coincidence that you are from Minnesota and you are now known for playing The Lost Vikings?
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
Former player
feitclub wrote:
Is it a coincidence that you are from Minnesota and you are now known for playing The Lost Vikings?
Of course not. :)
and i thought your last run was about as good as it could get. 9 1/2 min improvement? geez. i would'nt of believed it if i hadn't watched it. a deffinate yes from me. Usless Info: in World of Warcraft inside Uldaman instance, the lost vikings make an appearance ^ ^. just thought i'd let you all know
Player (36)
I voted yes. No, I didn't see a single place where it could have been improved.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [321] Genesis The Lost Vikings "2 players" by Ouzo in 40:38.07
Player (65)
Question, though it may have been answered in the discussion of the first movie: why did you play this game on the Genesis? The SNES version doesn't have the loading screen between worlds (after using the time/space machine) and the quality of sound is much better. So is there some glitch/trick that only works in this version that makes it better to timeattack, or are you just more familiar with Gens?
If life were an RPG, I'd be an NPC.
Former player
I'm not sure of the differences between the Genesis and SNES versions, but there are only 37 levels in the SNES version while there are 41 in the Genesis version, which makes it more appealing to me (choose the harder version). Also the graphics are better IMO. I disagree with the sound being better. The music for the SNES is different from the Genesis version anyway. True, the SNES version would be faster, but since it's missing levels it would be unfair to obselete the Genesis version with the SNES version. EDIT: Okay, I played the SNES version a little and can say that the long pauses between levels more than makes up for the fact that there's no short movie between worlds.
Player (65)
Hunh. Wasn't aware there were four extra levels. The only one I noticed was in Egypt. I'll have to play through the SNES version again to see which other three were left out. And as to the superior sound, it's definitively true. The Genesis was a better graphics box, but the SNES had a better sound chip. So of course the same game looks and sounds different on each system. Personally the superior sounds quality makes a bigger difference to me than the superior graphics. But that's just a personal preference of mine. Meh. Anyway, thanks for answering the question. Oh, and I love this movie. One of the best ones on the site, in my opinion. *thumbs up*
If life were an RPG, I'd be an NPC.
Former player
quietkane wrote:
Oh, and I love this movie. One of the best ones on the site, in my opinion. *thumbs up*
Cool, thanks. :)
Player (200)
This movie is very good, probably the only movie on this site of its length that I can watch the whole thing without fast forwarding and be throughly entertained the whole time. Its a shame this game isn't way popular, because desrves to be.
g,o,p,i=1e4,a[10001];main(x){for(;p?g=g/x*p+a[p]*i+2*!o: 53^(printf("%.4d",o+g/i),p=i,o=g%i);a[p--]=g%x)x=p*2-1;}
CrazyTerabyte
He/Him
Damn, it is fast!!!! I'm a bit dizzy after watching it... :-) It is so action-full and fast! Maybe this is as fast as the Sonic 3 movie, but harder to watch, because in Sonic movie we have only one character, and here we have three! I am afraid of what will be done now that newest GMV version has support for 3 players... (I don't know if I can handle more action than this... :-P ) Even after the 3-player edition of this timeattack be done, I think we should keep this 2-player edition.
Fantastically played! The most impressive is Olaf carrying Baleog (sometimes Erik too) across long distances. The Sega version even has an extra level in the pre-historic and candyland zones (plus two in the Egyptian one). My die-hard Nintendo heart aches for the SNES's superior graphics and sound, though.
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
Great movie! And I'd really like to see Lost Vikings 2 (SNES) played that way...
Highly entertaining. It's precisely how a good speedrun should look. The fast character switching and teamwork is something that will be unrivalled for sometime in this community. Thank you.
Reviewer, Active player (277)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qcAFAr1Ec8 ]Comparison video (3 player obsoletion coming when I get around to it).[/url]