(Link to video)
Iji is an action-packed strategic platform shooter with a detailed story, large levels with multiple paths, powerful bosses and lots of secrets. There are alternate gameplay events, dialogues and scenes depending on what you do, a wealth of extras and bonus features, and seven stats to upgrade through a leveling system. Iji herself has superhuman strength and abilities, and can crack Nanotechnology, use her enemies' most devastating weapons against them, and be a pacifist or a killer - the story adapts to how you play.
Ultimortal is considerably tougher than Extreme, it gives you a time limit for each Sector, the enemies are faster, you cannot increase any stat but Health and there are no health pickups, among other things. This also means you cannot skip Asha's return fight in Sector X. Not being able to level up anything but health (which is useless for this run) makes all of the shortcuts unavalable and adds a large amount of time to the run. Having 1 attack means that your shotgun deals very little damage, leading to long fights with Krotera and Asha.
The aim of this run was to push the limits of what is possible to do in this game. Since this is a 1HP run, meaning that I cannot take damage, I need to avoid getting hit with machineguns and coming in contact with enemies. Since there are no health pickups to repair my armor, it is very limited. The nano pickups only restore 2 bars of armor out of 20. Trying to do this while still getting a good time proved to be one of the biggest challanges. Basically every enemy had to attack with the right weapon and move in the right way. This was done with RNG manipulation by firing weapons on specific frames or by jumping on specific frames for a certaing amount of time. This run took me a long time to do because all of this is just trial and error. Dodging the projectiles was the least of a concern.
Just for fun and entertainment I decided to break the truce in sector 3 in order to fight Krotera and fought Tor in sector X on maximum charge. If you fight Maximum Charge Tor, he starts out with 1200 HP and all weapons at their highest power level, plus he drops less Health pickups and releases two Skysmashers every time he lands. The main thing here is the upgraded weapons which make the fight considearbly more difficult if you play the game normally, but it does also make the TAS more entertaining.
If you want this run to sync, you need to have beaten the game on expert difficulty in order to unlock ultimortal difficulty. You can do this by using the savefile provided in the link. For varification purposes I have made an extremely unoptimized run on expert mode. I fastforwarded most of the time when I played and didn't bother savestating. This TAS is not meant to be watched but instead only serves to prove that the savefile was not edited externally. For those who want to varify, make sure to first delete the savefile and then run UlitimortalSetup.wtf before you run Ultimortal.wtf. Also run them both with multithreading set to 'wrap'. When fastforwading, the game sometime freezes so if that happens, make sure to not fastforward that part of the run. Blame hourglass not me. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_DRRGiERXp5H_KG8vWhLm_yyavwaiYzt Note to feos: use ultimortal1HPCredits for incoding.

feos: Judging...
feos: Replacing the submission move with one that ends at the final boss last hit. The file that reaches the credits and ends there is here.
feos: This movie is of the same technical quality as the regular completion run I accepted. And it starts from a save file that is required to unlock this difficulty, which is the highest playable difficulty in this game.
Gameplay displayed in this run is tougher than in that other run and this submission was received better by the audience. The routes are quite different in a lot of places, which adds to the overall difference. So I'm accepting it as a side branch that's to be watched as more entertaining of the two, while the other is fastest completion.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Post subject: Re: #6302: Matslo123's Windows Iji "Ultimortal 1HP" in 42:02.23
Player (26)
Very cool! I find all the crazy dodging much more entertaining than shortcuts that skip half a level. Nice boss fights, too. Yes vote.
Post subject: Re: #6302: Matslo123's Windows Iji "Ultimortal 1HP" in 42:02.23
Player (103)
Radiant wrote:
Very cool! I find all the crazy dodging much more entertaining than shortcuts that skip half a level. Nice boss fights, too. Yes vote.
I finally made you happy. Never thought this day would come.
At 4:25, you pick up extra energy in a detour, but you don't have armor damage and you're not using energy for getting skills so... why? 6:30 whoa what a boss fight! :) 8:35 The restricted storage I found super-tough to get through in my no-damage, no-kill real time run (on the easiest setting!). Yeah this attempt that I'm talking about... I only ever got to level five I think so I have some perspective on how stupid the luck has to be. 24:00 I can't even imagine what this would be like... 25:30 Nice that you could work in some of that slapstick humor. I don't know, something comedic about this moment. 31:53 o_O Is there a lot of manipulation to get Asha not to warp around so much? Radiant: You don't think you owe an apology for your hasty conclusions about the other run?
Player (103)
Svimmer wrote:
At 4:25, you pick up extra energy in a detour, but you don't have armor damage and you're not using energy for getting skills so... why? 6:30 whoa what a boss fight! :) 8:35 The restricted storage I found super-tough to get through in my no-damage, no-kill real time run (on the easiest setting!). Yeah this attempt that I'm talking about... I only ever got to level five I think so I have some perspective on how stupid the luck has to be. 24:00 I can't even imagine what this would be like... 25:30 Nice that you could work in some of that slapstick humor. I don't know, something comedic about this moment. 31:53 o_O Is there a lot of manipulation to get Asha not to warp around so much? Radiant: You don't think you owe an apology for your hasty conclusions about the other run?
I was hoping noone would notice the sector 3 nano pickup :(. The truth is that I am so used to doing that in regular any% runs that I did it automatically and only noticed once I was nearly done with the TAS. You need to realize that each segment takes a long time to do because of RNG. And yes, there is RNG manipulation on every enemy encounter. The bossfights were especially difficult to try to optimize, Asha in particular. I guess I should write in the submission notes how you can affect RNG.
Hmm... so you speedrun the game as well? You know about Speed Demos Archive #shamelessplug? Truth be told, I'm an admin on that site and more active there in general. We're always happy to see submissions of a relatively similar calibre, and the site's philosophy is very similar to the TASvideos one (though the kinds of runs you can do more restricted). This site also has a part that's meant for storing information: http://tasvideos.org/GameResources.html Also one idea would be to put anything that's more about real-time running in a wiki page on SDA: https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Category:Games I personally feel run notes belong in an openly editable and accessible format. BTW: Whichever site, and whatever the reason, pointing out what could be improved in your runs is useful for future TASers and runners. Someone could be left wondering if there's some special purpose to that extra nano pickup.
Player (103)
Svimmer wrote:
Hmm... so you speedrun the game as well? You know about Speed Demos Archive #shamelessplug? Truth be told, I'm an admin on that site and more active there in general. We're always happy to see submissions of a relatively similar calibre, and the site's philosophy is very similar to the TASvideos one (though the kinds of runs you can do more restricted). This site also has a part that's meant for storing information: http://tasvideos.org/GameResources.html Also one idea would be to put anything that's more about real-time running in a wiki page on SDA: https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Category:Games I personally feel run notes belong in an openly editable and accessible format. BTW: Whichever site, and whatever the reason, pointing out what could be improved in your runs is useful for future TASers and runners. Someone could be left wondering if there's some special purpose to that extra nano pickup.
Yes, I do speedrun the game, mainly 1.7 where I have wr in both played categories (on speedrun.com). As for run notes, Daniel Remar's segmeted speedrun pretty much has it all for a non-pacifist 1.6 run. http://speeddemosarchive.com/Iji.html Running ultimortal 1hp in real time is never going to happen. Not in a million years.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I found this:
GameFAQs wrote:
''Reallyjoel's dad'' Difficulty You must have the Ultimortal difficulty unlocked to be able to use this cheat. To unlock the ''reallyjoel's dad'' difficulty, choose New Game at the title screen, and hold the Right arrow key for five seconds at the difficulty screen. This mode is quite literally impossible to complete since you cannot complete Sector 1, as well as being extremely difficult.
Though I couldn't find a way to unlock Ultimortal without completing the game once.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Player (103)
feos wrote:
I found this:
GameFAQs wrote:
''Reallyjoel's dad'' Difficulty You must have the Ultimortal difficulty unlocked to be able to use this cheat. To unlock the ''reallyjoel's dad'' difficulty, choose New Game at the title screen, and hold the Right arrow key for five seconds at the difficulty screen. This mode is quite literally impossible to complete since you cannot complete Sector 1, as well as being extremely difficult.
Though I couldn't find a way to unlock Ultimortal without completing the game once.
As he says there is now way of beating reallyjoel's dad difficulty, you can only got to the end of sector 1. I did a TAS of this too but didn't submit it as it doesn't look that impressive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCGjinbDSL0 And even the game developer writes on his site " (Ultimortal difficulty) How to unlock: Beat the game on Extreme ".
Svimmer wrote:
Hmm... so you speedrun the game as well? You know about Speed Demos Archive #shamelessplug? Truth be told, I'm an admin on that site and more active there in general. We're always happy to see submissions of a relatively similar calibre, and the site's philosophy is very similar to the TASvideos one (though the kinds of runs you can do more restricted)..
whoa, what a time to be alive when we see SDA advertising on TASvideo... anyway great run, impressive to watch, yes vote also on another totally unrelated note, alexa (if i read it right) says that 47% of the visits over there comes from... china ?
Matslo123, please post the same couple of movies as for any%: the one that ands at the final hit and the one that reaches the credits and lets them play. Also, is having 1HP inherent to this difficulty or it was independently added as another goal?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Player (103)
feos wrote:
Matslo123, please post the same couple of movies as for any%: the one that ands at the final hit and the one that reaches the credits and lets them play. Also, is having 1HP inherent to this difficulty or it was independently added as another goal?
Ultimortal1HPNoEnd.wtf is the one that ends on the final hit. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_DRRGiERXp5H_KG8vWhLm_yyavwaiYzt No, in this difficulty you can only level up your HP, not any other stats. Also I guess I should have called it 'no hit / no damage' because that is what I ment by 1 HP. Having level 1 Health gives you 2 HP, but I not only keep my Health level at 1 but also don't take damage (not health damage anyway, not taking armor damage is impossible). I also fought Tor on Maximum charge, which makes the fight a lot harder but also makes him have extra HP. I did it for entertainment purposes.
You mean you could have had more HP that'd allow taking damage, and decided against it?
Player (103)
feos wrote:
You mean you could have had more HP that'd allow taking damage, and decided against it?
Yes, I set that as a challange, because otherwise it would have been similar to normal difficulty.
dan
He/Him
This was a good game choice and an excellent TAS. Usually I watch two or three minutes of a TAS, get bored, and stop watching. I noticed I was still watching 20 minutes later, and decided to watch until the end. Yes vote for me.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3938] Windows Iji "Ultimortal difficulty, no damage" by Matslo123 in 41:25.40
Patashu
He/Him
Congrats on a double publication!
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu