Submission Text Full Submission Page
Hiya!~ It's me, EchoedMelodies, here with a TAS of Cabbage Patch Kids - Adventures in the Park! ^.^
Story: (pulled from the Coleco instruction manual)
It's exercise time!
Anne Lee, one of the Cabbage Patch Kids, is warming up for a day of athletic adventures in the park--and she's taking you along! So stretch your muscles and get ready for a workout. This adventure is no picnic!

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 2.3.1 with TAStudio
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Genre: Adventure
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Genre: Platformer (multi-screen)
  • blip
  • bLIP
  • BLIP!

Comments

This game has 3 loops. On the first loop, it is on the easiest difficulty. Then, on the second loop, it is normal difficulty. And on the last loop, it is hard difficulty. After that, it just keeps looping on 2nd loops difficulty.

Scene Comments

(rushed)
I'll just call them stages from now on. Stage 0, 10, 20 and 30 can be labelled as basically the same "walk to the end, you win" kind of stages. They don't really need much explanation, because, well, you just walk to the end and win.
Stage 1 has 1 obstacle that you just kind of jump over, which is fair as it is just the first stage (besides stage 0) Stage 6 and 9 is also the same.
Stage 2 has four blue obstacles that you have to jump between, which is a little bit harder, but not too much harder because stages 0-10 are all on the game's easiest difficulty.
Stage 3 has these trampoline things that it's just faster to jump enough on to them and jump onto the next one.
Stage 4 is basically the same as stage 2 but with 1 more of the blue things.
On stage 5 it's faster to jump onto the first rope and jump of the lilly pad than it is to use both ropes.
Stage 7 you jump on some platforms. It is a platformer after all.
Stage 8 has this annoying bee thing that you can just run under. The devs didn't even think that through. The rest of the stages are just these but harder.
On stage 26, I waited for the bee to fly over because it was unavoidable when I jumped, I tested that a lot (took up 450 RR's).

Why walking the whole time instead of jumping?

Short answer: In this game, walking for the whole level (especially stage 0,10,20,30) is ~100 frames faster.
(i would put a screenshot of some branches i made in TAStudio but i don't know how)

The End

Thanks for watching this run that took me about 19 hours in total (across 5 days) to make!

feos: Hi EchoedMelodies and welcome to TASVideos! I like your enthusiasm and look forward to an improved movie, but meanwhile I have to reject this one for sub-optimality, as thoroughly displayed in the thread.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1639)
Interesting, I never knew there was a version for the Atari 2600. I see some glitchy moves going on here. :) Some places appear to be unoptimized, but after thinking about it...these rooms have static patterns that start the frame you enter. I take it RNG doesn't exist in this? Yes vote anyway.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Well 2 things. 1. Ending input hung for too long. 2. Might as well jump - Spiked 23 Frames.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
EchoedMelodies
She/Her
Spikestuff wrote:
Ending input hung for too long.
oh, didn't realize, my bad :P
WIP: A2600 Summer Games A2600 Winter Games
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Here's a tasproject that beats loop 1 19 frames faster. https://files.tasvideos.org/common/SubmissionFiles/6386S/cabbage.7z It looks like this submission will have to be redone. Since movement is not constant, but is instead move-move-move-pause every 4 frames (starting at different phase across levels), and jumping is move-pause every 2 frames, these have to be aligned carefully to result in lowest delays. I didn't notice any benefit from delaying the level entrance in order to get different patterns though.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
To go into feos' point.
EchoedMelodies wrote:
Why walking the whole time instead of jumping? Short answer: In this game, walking for the whole level (especially stage 0,10,20,30) is ~100 frames faster.
Since it's apparently so important to be on the ground as soon as possible why wasn't it done? I'm going to show 3 examples where my input that I made on a whim where it's important to stick to that floor. All cases; Left me, Right Melodies. Now, I'm not skilled at doing TASes for platformers. But anyone can assess that you weren't on the ground soon enough. Also this game has cycles, so something like 7 can have a different starting compared to another 7 (like this submission and feos having the same 7 compared to mine). I wasn't holding this information for 2 weeks I swear.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
EchoedMelodies
She/Her
Poof! I magically appeared. Looks like I'm going to have to re-do this. With all of the new stuff I found out, this could probably be taken down to 2:10 or even 2:00.....maybe 1:59 but that's a stretch. Instead of cancelling, can this be set to delayed until my improvement is done?
Since the game is unlikely to look too different, and it's still going to Vault, improvements aren't gonna affect the entertainment level (which uses to be the main reason to cancel and resubmit). Upload whatever movie you think should satisfy the optimality requirements to userfiles, post the link here, and we'll review it. If you're still working on it after a week, I'll delay it, but lack of activity might lead to rejection as well.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
EchoedMelodies
She/Her
Good to know. Thanks
Any news on this one?
EchoedMelodies
She/Her
Not much. Had a really busy past few days.
Then I'm gonna reject it for overall sloppiness. You could still post WIPs here whenever you finish, and we'd review them prior to getting a new submission.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... crunchy!