Submission Text Full Submission Page

Monty on the Run (C64)

Monty on the Run is a platformer released for a number of systems and is the 3rd release in the Monty Mole series. It is commonly known as having one of the best music tracks of the C64 era.
The series:
Wanted: Monty Mole (1984)- Monty travels around a coal mine collecting pieces of coal and other miscellaneous objects. The game was created in response to the British miners' strikes and saw the lead character collecting coal in order to keep his family warm.
Monty is Innocent (1985) - Monty has been sentenced to five years in Scudmore Prison for stealing a bucket of coal. Monty's best friend, the mysterious masked weasel, Sam Stoat, is determined to set Monty free.
Monty on the Run (1985) - This game
Auf Wiedersehen Monty (1987) - Monty travels around Europe collecting money in order to buy a Greek island - Montos, where he can safely retire. Moley Christmas (1987) - Monty has been given the task of getting the code for his latest game from the programmers to the cover of Your Sinclair magazine.
Impossamole (1990) - Remake of Monty as a cape-clad superhero who is recruited by aliens to retrieve their sacred scrolls.

Story

On the run from the authorities after his escape from Scudmore Prison, Monty the Mole must escape from his house through the criminal underground and head toward the English Channel and freedom in Europe.

Temp Encode

As with all my C64 temp encodes, this cuts loading time.

TAS Notes

• Goal - Beat game as quickly as possible
  • Dies to save time.
  • Forgoes item collection to save time. A 100% run would collect all coins/items.
This game included a major frustration during TASing. Based on the current rules for C64 games, I started this TAS in NTSC mode. Everything seemed to work perfectly until the very end of the game. Upon Monty hitting the endpoint trigger in NTSC mode, the game glitches and does not play the end-game sequence. This is the only glitch that occurs when playing with NTSC region settings.
That version of the the TAS can be viewed below with the glitch plainly visible at the end. (Side Note, this is not completely optimal as-is, I found a couple improvements after conversion to PAL).
Due to this glitch, I had to redo the run in PAL mode simply to get the end scene to play. Thankfully the two regions were almost frame equal as far as input/movement, so re-syncing movements wasn't terribly difficult. The major frustration/problem in converting to PAL surfaced in regards to RNG. There are only two major components of the game that are RNG dependent: the crusher pistons and the teleportation beams.
  • Crusher Pistons have a random time in between crushes.
  • Teleportation beams seem to be random in the order of which colors they change.
The change in region altered the RNG resulting in different values for these two mechanics between runs.
Unfortunately, I have been unable to determine the reason for the difference in RNG. I was also unable (as yet) to find a way of manipulating the RNG. Because of this, the game-play portion of the PAL version of the TAS ended up being quite a bit longer than the NTSC version due to added waits at some crushers/teleportation beams. I bounced Monty around at these to kill time.
Though I plan to continue studying this particular RNG situation, I still felt the PAL run was satisfactorily optimized for submission. If I am able to find a way to manipulate the RNG I will update this submission (or submit a new run to obsolete this one if it is already published by the time I figure it out).
For reference, here is the game-play portion of the two versions compared side by side. PAL (time of 5:46 ish) is on the left and NTSC (4:29 ish)is on the right.

Potential Improvements

If I or someone else can effectively find a way to manipulate RNG, this run could be drastically reduced by manipulating any crushers/teleportation beams to eliminate/minimize wait time. This would also allow for slightly different routing in a couple areas.

Other Stuff

• This is one of only two C64 games to have been run at a GDQ event (by DANACRYSALIS at SGDQ 2014)
    • He also holds the current RTA world record which can be viewed here.
    • This submission was done concurrently with 6448S as homage to DANACRYSALIS GDQ runs.
  • The last input to beat the game is where this submission ends. If accepted, a publisher can use this .bk2 which includes the necessary additional inputs to enter the high score after the end sequence and then watch the credits.

Memory: Judging
DrD2k9: In light of a method being found for manipulation of RNG; cancelling. I'll be reworking this game.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6447: DrD2k9's C64 Monty on the Run in 12:35.42
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
I wonder why you went for the tape release (with the slowest loading, no really, about half the duration of the TAS is seizure-inducing loading as it is) instead of a disk release. I assume it's because you didn't want to deal with a cracked disk image, even though there's an exception for them in the rules (for C64 games and I presume also ZX Spectrum games). EDIT: So....I apparently found an *un*cracked disk release. SHA1: F51B6D934EED206DF74D248F9F70C16C96146133
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2070)
fsvgm777 wrote:
I wonder why you went for the tape release (with the slowest loading, no really, about half the duration of the TAS is seizure-inducing loading as it is) instead of a disk release. I assume it's because you didn't want to deal with a cracked disk image, even though there's an exception for them in the rules (for C64 games and I presume also ZX Spectrum games). EDIT: So....I apparently found an *un*cracked disk release. SHA1: F51B6D934EED206DF74D248F9F70C16C96146133
I couldn't find evidence of an official disk release. Further all the disk versions I could find had a glitched room with walls/floors that weren't supposed to be there. EDIT: Specifically this room. Correct Glitched
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1639)
fsvgm777 wrote:
I wonder why you went for the tape release (with the slowest loading, no really, about half the duration of the TAS is seizure-inducing loading as it is) instead of a disk release. I assume it's because you didn't want to deal with a cracked disk image, even though there's an exception for them in the rules (for C64 games and I presume also ZX Spectrum games).
Normally we have run into issues every time for obtaining a disk image. So, I guess we have naturally started to avoid them.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1639)
Interesting game and brings back the memories that I've had during my C64 years. enjoyed the run! Yes vote.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
DrD2k9
He/Him
I ran the SHA1 hash for the disk image I have (that created the above glitched room). It matches the SHA1 posted above by fsvgm777.
Post subject: Re: #6447: DrD2k9's C64 Monty on the Run in 12:35.42
Player (26)
Nice one! This reminds me of (and actually predates) the old Dizzy series. Yes vote! ...and I know that music from somewhere, and I'm reasonably sure I've never played this. Does anyone know if it's been reused for another game or something? (edit) possibly IWBTG or its many fangames?
Post subject: Re: #6447: DrD2k9's C64 Monty on the Run in 12:35.42
Radiant wrote:
Nice one! This reminds me of (and actually predates) the old Dizzy series. Yes vote! ...and I know that music from somewhere, and I'm reasonably sure I've never played this. Does anyone know if it's been reused for another game or something? (edit) possibly IWBTG or its many fangames?
Yes, this music was reused for the last stage (The Castle) of IWBTG, something I've hassled Kayin about before. :) I'm fascinated by that glitch disk, as I'm pretty sure I have never run across it with any disk I used, image or non-image. Heck when I was a kid I had an NTSC system and can't remember something like that happening.
DrD2k9
He/Him
LOL just found this... Link to video
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
DrD2k9 wrote:
Further all the disk versions I could find had a glitched room with walls/floors that weren't supposed to be there. EDIT: Specifically this room. Correct Glitched
Now that's interesting. It seems the disk releases that are floating around are basically "bad dumps" (be it cracked or non-cracked). BTW, comparing against the only speedrun on SRC (at around 2:12), it seems you had really horrible RNG in that specific room, as it's basically taking forever for the teleporter to turn green. Abstaining from voting.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
DrD2k9
He/Him
fsvgm777 wrote:
Now that's interesting. It seems the disk releases that are floating around are basically "bad dumps" (be it cracked or non-cracked). BTW, comparing against the only speedrun on SRC (at around 2:12), it seems you had really horrible RNG in that specific room, as it's basically taking forever for the teleporter to turn green. Abstaining from voting.
Yea I have recently acquired a couple disk images (cracked) that do have that room correct, but I have still been unable to verify that the game was officially released on disk media. The only cases I can make for a disk released are this ebay listing and this webpage. I don't know that I trust either of them. Specifically for the ebay listing, it doesn't look like official packaging nor does it show the 'front' of the disk itself making me think it's simply a cracked version or custom media conversion. As far as RNG being a pain...that's addressed in the submission notes. But yes they were a major problem with running the game. I'm still studying the issue.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, salty!