Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is the second luigi Super Mario bros 2 (USA) TAS Since 2004. I improved #1280: Bisqwit's NES Super Mario Bros. 2 "Luigi only" in 11:36.25 by 9907 frames.
Super Mario Bros. 2 is a platform game That has 4 characters. (Mario is normal in this game.) (Luigi can jump high to get to high places.) (Toad can run faster Especially when you carry enemies.) (Peach can float to get to a wide distance.)
Objectives
* Emulator FCEUX 2.2.3
* Aims for the fastest time

Maru: Judging.
Maru: Hello SpeedyTheHedgehog, and welcome to TASVideos. Unfortunately, your submission must be rejected due to issues with the goal choice and optimization.
Goal choice: You submitted this with the intention of obsoleting an old Luigi only TAS from 2004. However, a branch of this game that only uses Luigi does not offer any significant differences compared to the published warps TAS. There is a princess only branch of this game, which is unique because the princess character is the only one that is not used in the published warps or warpless runs. Luigi, however, is used in three of the eight levels that are played in the current SMB2USA warps TAS.
Optimization: I as well as some users in the submission thread noticed a handful of optimization issues. This TAS did not beat the published warps TAS in levels that did use Luigi. In addition, it did not incorporate known faster strategies, especially in level 1-1. For the record, this TAS is about 30 seconds slower than the fastest princess only run for this game, and the princess is inferior to Luigi in this game mostly due to slower item grabbing. Many places, such as the character selection screen, boss fights, movement around obstacles, and sand digging sections can be polished.
Please keep in mind the movie rules in the future: Movie must be good, Movie Goals In addition, please read this for future reference: TASing Guide
Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Snodeca
She/Her
Player (128)
Don't create a new submission. Instead, upload it to the userfiles ( http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/my#uploadfile ), and ask in the thread (posting the new file) to replace the current submission...................... I'll reply to the original submission because this is that's where it originated. Also, you simply copy-pasted your submission text, making the "obsoletes it by 10549 frames" inaccurate now. Edit: the other submission got cancelled lol. I'll just link the post I posted in the other, now-cancelled submission. http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/486324#486324 This may or may not reflect the run now, as it's a "new" submission, but chances are that it does. (Either way, still a pretty good effort for a first TAS; my first TAS was way worse than this, so don't beat yourself up about it, ok? I don't want to be rude or sound rude.) Edit: Video removed because a video was added to the submission text.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
It should be noted that the "Luigi-only" movie that this aims to beat was already considered obsoleted by the regular warps run way back in 2004. I don't think it was ever really considered a category of value even at the time. That being said, I don't really see a particular need to re-introduce a Luigi-only category for this game. Luigi is already used almost half the time in the current run, so unlike Princess, he does not add that kind of novelty.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Αsumeh
He/Him
Player (136)
Good first TAS, Speedy. I doubt it has a chance of publication, though. Not just for the goal, but a couple of extra things as well. Many places are sub-optimal, mostly because you could've killed the boss faster. I also saw little effort in entertainment throughout the waiting sections. Sorry, Speedy, but unfortunately, for the following reasons (goal + optimization + entertainment), I will be voting: No Don't take it harshly, though. You did good for a first TAS, but I suggest you use the userfiles next time for movies that aren't publication-worthy.
I'm Asumeh, semi-expert SMB1 TASer. :) Check out some of the TASes I don't submit/upload to TASVideos on my YouTube channel, if you'd like: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyDD727I6LYNJTPEKCzauCw In progress: - Record my older TASes (excluding any obsolete TASes) and upload to YouTube; other than that, nothing at the moment.
Player (58)
Well, this TAS was certainly well made and fairly optimal. But as the others have said, there are tricks that have already been introduced that you didn't use in this run. For that reason alone, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to say no. But you've clearly shown you're capable of making a great TAS though.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
On the topic of Luigi being used half (more like a third) of the time in the current warps movie it means we have a point of comparison. You aren't challenging Bisqwit's TAS from 04, you're also challenging Aglar & Andrewg. Shown off is 6-2, 6-3 and 7-1 all synced up on beginning of the level: Link to video This is a good opening of a TAS, however there's quite a bit of sloppiness shown. I do recommend using the user movies for future attempts until you've nailed down TASing this game confidently.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Player (80)
Thanks for letting me know because I knew something was slow in my run lol
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
I'm exactly in agreement with Spikestuff on this one. For your first effort at TASing, this is pretty darn good. But it's just not quite as good as what we already have. A suggestion if you want to keep on this tack: Luigi is (comparatively) used a lot less in the Warpless run IIRC, so I think a Luigi Warpless would have more unique entertainment than a Luigi Warps
Previous Name: boct1584
Banned User
Voting No because it has noticeable suboptimality. I notice alot of slowdown in the TAS.
i think i got banned again... I don't know if I can do TASing at the moment. May in summer or something? Soon-ish... Aka. Chuterix, formerly ChutacoackoTAS (did I even address that name?) Check out my RTA's and TASes here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx6JXd3XDSkJqREaLQDYlDg P.S. I have school on weekdays unless break or something. So I will not read messages until the weekends or until further notice.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom