Submission Text Full Submission Page

Necessary info:

• About bullet:
IDNameMax bulletsDamageCDOthers
00 2/bullet3
01S10(2*5)2/bullet4
02C34/2 frames5Sometimes miss(takes no dmg)
03H52/bullet4
04F 2/2 frames
05L73/bullet Can't shoot until all of the previous bullets disappears
Also, there are some other difference between 2D and 3D mode:
  • In 2D mode
    • For S gun, shoot 5 bullets in each time. And only could shoot again while a set of bullets are disappearing. (Especially, if 3 bullets of the first set disappears, and 2 of the second disappears, you can't shoot next new set of bullets.)
    • For L gun, you'll shoot a long laser if you press Y button at one frame.
  • In 3D mode
    • weapon system is similar to nes contra.
      There is no CD RAM. Or I didn't find out it... Normally, pressing Y button discontinuously is faster than continuously.
    • Movements is same as Jackal. X or Y speed always equals 2. Not only on horizontal or vertical, but also on diagonal.
    • movement is not friendly. I searched the speed and position RAM though, speed is not so intuitive. Instead, calculating the position's change is important. And after comparing the different rotation angle, walking on the 45° angle is the fastest. (The actual speed = 2*√2=2.8284)
    • For S gun, you can shoot S bullet just when any bullet disappears.
    • For L gun, you can only shoot ONE bullet in every 2 frames. If you want to shoot a long laser, you need to press Y button continuously.
It's hard to manipulate RNG, different from nes contra games, but similar to ds contra 4. You can change RNG by shooting C. Because C explodes randomly every time.
6 more lag at the beginning... Though I saved 1 frame by pressing START earlier. I don't know how to compare between snes9x 1.51 with bizhawk 2.3.2. So hope someone could help me make a comparision list to show that difference.
And I'll show you a comparision without the emulators' difference.
StageFrames savedTotal saved
1-17-17

Level-by-level notes

• Stage 1
Due to more players on screen, I got more lag. But it saved some time at boss fighting.
  • Stage 2
Two players saved a half of the route.
Better weapon choice and better weapon used.
  • Stage 3
    • Pay attention: After that plane boss, there are 8 tracking bullet, and they are attackable. And they will bomb while moving out of the screen. It looks like hit by the player. To make sure if they are been hit by me, you can find their HP RAM and do a test. RAM changes by getting damage, otherwise it unchanges. My RAM list includes them.
Faster boss fight with better gun choice, better gun used, and double damage.
  • Stage 4
Just faster boss fight.
  • Stage 5
Specially, that red spider out from the nest has 32 HP. And it decreases 1 HP in each 8 frames if it is in the whirlpool. You can watch the spider's HP by $0D46 or $0D86. And if the nest is ruined, the spider will die. Also, if the spider killed by the player, the player's score will increase 200 or 500.
  • Stage 6
Better weapon choice, better bullets shooted, and better luck manipulation (Especially for the heart boss).
Specially, the final boss r2, you need at least 3 rounds to beat it. And after a round, boss's HP will decrease 1/2. And each attack form has its own timer. Here a picture shows every timer.(It's not absolute, it's around that value.) So player's damage in the first round is 1/4, in the second round is 1/2. So you need to choose a shorter timer form in first two rounds.
It's different from the fastest goal, I choose the same type for the round 2 as round 1 this time. Because those enemies can't be killed.

RAM watch

Because running ram watch window is much slower with bizhawk, I used lua to watch them, instead. And I'll give you the lua file in the forum.
  • Other RAM I used
Some ram I didn't show in the lua, So I will give you here.
AddressSizeTypeNotes
1E444 bytesHexhi score
1FA04 bytesHex1p socre
1FB64 bytesHex1p bonus life rest
1FE04 bytesHex2p socre
1FF64 bytesHex2p bonus life rest
1C024 bytesHexclear bonus socre
BD801 bytesignedif it's 2D stage
1F841 bytesigned1p 1st gun
1F861 bytesigned1p 2nd gun
1FC41 bytesigned2p 1st gun
1FC61 bytesigned2p 2nd gun
0D461 bytesignedred spider HP
0D861 bytesignedred spider HP

Memory: Judging
Memory: So this TAS appears on the surface to be well optimized. It can probably be optimized further but it is good enough for an improvement and unlike the other submission, this one does beat all known records.
There wasn't too much feedback since the author has deleted their temporary encode, but what there was was positive for the most part. There was questions over using 2 players to obsolete the published pacifist TAS that uses 1 player. Ultimately, 2 players makes pacifist more entertaining since there are now 2 players that have to dodge enemies instead of just one and still maintains a distinct feel from fastest completion. A TAS that doesn't use the game end glitch that uses 1 player could potentially be published alongside the existing branches if it is considered uniquely entertaining, but I do not feel pacifist is the place to fill that niche.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6516: Soig's SNES Contra III: The Alien Wars "pacifist" in 12:57.39
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1477)
--
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3968)
Does anyone know why the previous publications for this category used one player?
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Experienced player (543)
EZGames69 wrote:
Does anyone know why the previous publications for this category used one player?
I don't know for sure but one player seems to be more suitable for a Pacifist run in my opinion. I mean going in with two players doesn't look like Pacifist lol.
I still learn more about English. https://www.youtube.com/user/McBobX100
I wrote:
Working is the best way to achieve goals in speedruning. Hardworking is a pain.
EZGames69
He/They
McBobX wrote:
I mean going in with two players doesn't look like Pacifist lol.
are you sure about that?
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Experienced player (543)
EZGames69 wrote:
are you sure about that?
Well, in my opinion, yes one player better than two players in this category lol.
I wrote:
EZGames69
He/They
Why do you think that? You’re not making a convincing argument here.
Experienced player (543)
Well, pacifism style, from what I know, means that you go on your way and removing only the necessary enemies, which only one player is enough to handle that. By using two players, it not only means that one player cannot handle it but also can remove that pacifism style. I don't know if you see what I mean but that is how I look at it.
I wrote:
EZGames69
He/They
Using 2 players doesn’t mean it cant be done with one player, it means it is done faster with 2 players. That’s the whole point.
Experienced player (543)
If it is just about fastest time, then there is no need to be pacifist. Just clear the game as fast as possible.
I wrote:
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4139)
McBobX wrote:
If it is just about fastest time, then there is no need to be pacifist. Just clear the game as fast as possible.
A tool-assisted speedrun aims to go as fast as possible within a certain set of goals. The goal of pacifist runs is to kill the lowest possible amount of enemies, and it's faster to achieve that with two players than with one. Hence, it makes sense to use two players.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (780)
While it is true that this category shouldn't be called "Pacifist" if it's using "1 Player" as an additional requirement, I think it might be better to have "Pacifist, 1 Player" runs over "Pacifist" runs since the former would be more different from the branchless runs.
EZGames69
He/They
Fortranm wrote:
While it is true that this category shouldn't be called "Pacifist" if it's using "1 Player" as an additional requirement, I think it might be better to have "Pacifist, 1 Player" runs over "Pacifist" runs since the former would be more different from the branchless runs.
The problem is do we know why previous movies used 1 player as opposed to 2 player? That was my question from the get go. The arguments given so far do not justify using 1 player for this category, and for all we know it could have only used 1 player because the authors didn't want to do 2 players.
Memory
She/Her
Site Admin, Skilled player (1523)
EZGames69 wrote:
Fortranm wrote:
the problem is do we know why previous movies used 1 player as opposed to 2 player? That was my question from the get go. The arguments given so far do not justify using 1 player for this category. for all we know it could have only used 1 player because the authors didn't want to do 2 players.
Why the previous authors did it is actually not all that relevant. The point still stands that it does provide additional differences. We can change the label if needed.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
EZGames69
He/They
So I finally sat down and watched the full run and I really like it. I think the idea of using 2 players instead of one makes the run more entertaining. while I dont know much about execution in terms of pacifisim, I think this should definitely be published and obsolete the 1 player pacifist tas. yes vote, and great job Soig.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... *burp*!
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Eh, might as well ask. Soig why did you cancel this after it was accepted, I mean you could've done it at any point? Is it because you have an improvement in the works or is it something else?
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
EZGames69
He/They
If you’re canceling because of my reactions please do not take it personally. It deserves to be accepted
Experienced player (543)
Wait what? I don't know why you cancelled it, but since it was accepted, it means it does fulfill publication condition. And same as EZGames, I just said my opinion and what I see about the category, it doesn't matter a lot, but the run is really good and optimized (I know your skills even as I watched many of your runs, including this one), also, judge said his word and accepted the run for publication. I do wanna see this run un-cancelled and accepted for publication again.
I wrote:
EZGames69
He/They
The judge is female just so you know
Experienced player (543)
EZGames69 wrote:
The judge is female just so you know
LOL, correction: Judge said HER words and accepted the run.
I wrote:
EZGames69
He/They
Either way I agree, please don’t cancel this run.
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1477)
1. 这个录像并不好。从前面的正常模式的录像来看,很多它的技巧也可以用在这个录像。既然我的那个录像因为那个原因被拒绝,那么这个被同意是有问题的,你们的评判标准是矛盾的。当然,同意或是拒绝,决定权在你们那,我没法左右。但我对于我自己的录像被你们接受后不让你们发布的权利还是有的。 2. 魂斗罗:力量明明应该是我打破glitchman成为v2,然后西坡打破我成为v3,但他发布了他的wip就能让你们拒收我的录像,而且有人做了魂斗罗和平主义录像,已经publication underway了,居然也能因为有一个新录像的投稿而直接被你们操作成rejected,也是没谁了。如果我继续让你们同意然后pub,万一中间有人又投稿了,然后你们把我的操作成rejected我岂不是很吃瘪。 这几个月你们的做法让我认为你们要的是完全没有提升空间的完美的录像,对不起我做不到,让那些神仙去做吧。如果他们的录像有提升空间然后你们还同意并发布了,我只能笑一下然后什么都不说。
EZGames69
He/They
Here’s a translation: “1. This video is not good. From the previous normal mode video, many of its tricks can also be used in this video. Since my video was rejected for that reason, then this agreement is problematic and your criteria are contradictory. Of course, agree or reject, the decision is up to you, I can't control. But my right to let you post my own videos after you accept them is still there. 2. Contra: Power clearly should be that I broke glitchman to become v2, then Xipo broke me to become v3, but he released his wip to let you reject my video, and someone made Contra pacifism The video has been publicized underway, and it can be directly rejected by you because of a new video submission. If I continue to let you agree and then pub, if someone in the middle has submitted a manuscript, then you will take my operation as a reject. I am not very embarrassed. In the past few months, your approach has made me think that what you want is a perfect video with no room for improvement. Sorry, I can't do it, let those gods do it. If their video has room for improvement and you agree and release it, I can only laugh and say nothing.”
Banned User, Player (89)
这个TAS很好。
Cuphead TASes desyncs unfortunately.