(Link to video)
As of yet, there have been no TASes accepted into Stars in 2020. That all changes with this movie! In an enthralling and lightning-fast 3 minute long TAS, Bobby wanders across 8 dangerous screens until he reaches his house two times! With a plot like that, what is there not to like?

Gameplay:

Bobby Is Going Home was a game released for the Atari 2600 in 1983 in Europe. You play as Bobby, a boy who is trying to get past obstacles to get home. Unlike most platforming Atari games like Pitfall!, Bobby can change the direction of his jump in midair, which allow for some fluid movement. Unfortunately, however, the game only allows Bobby to move forwards or backwards once every 4 frames, which results in extremely sluggish controls which make the game difficult to play. Additionally, Bobby's jump has one fixed height, which limits the flexibility that being able to change jump directions in midair would afford. In the game, Bobby moves at the same speed whether he's walking or jumping.

Timesaves:

I saved 2 frames in the first level by not having blank input to start off the TAS (compared to the currently published run). Additionally, I made a tighter jump over the bird that's on the seventh screen of the game to save a little extra time. After this, I did the second level of the game, since this is the last level of the game where the difficulty increases, so this should have been included in the currently published run of the game (the current movie ends after reaching Bobby's house once - which is the end of level 1).
Since there are so few possible places to save time, I will list all of the places in the run where I slowed down here:
1. In level 1, screen 7, I hold neutral for 1 frame in the middle of my jump over the bird to avoid hitting the bird. 2. In level 2 screen 2 I pause to let the bird fly past me before jumping over the plant 3. In level 2 screen 3, I delay my movement several times in order to avoid hitting the flying bird or the ostriches. 4. In level 2 screen 4, I delay my jump to wait for the bat to pass me 5. In level 2 screen 6, I hold neutral for 1 frame of my jump over the bird to avoid hitting it.

Conclusion:

With all of that out of the way, I hope that you are able to get some small amount of enjoyment out of this TAS... I recommend watching it with the sound off and on 2X speed. In any event, here is an encode of my TAS:

ThunderAxe31: Judging.
ThunderAxe31: Replacing file with a 959 blank frames trimmed version.
ThunderAxe31: I did check if there is any new content after the second loop, and the only difference I've noticed is the position of the stationary obstacles, but it seems it's just reusing previous level layouts with some aesthetic changes. The different movement of the flying enemies seems to be timer-dependent, so it can't be considered as a new content either, even if their movements in later scenes eventually turn out to be less favorable for the player.
I also wanted to check if there were releases for NTSC format. I've found some, but those seem to be ports done by different companies than the one who did originally develop the game, so in this case using the PAL version is appropriate.
Accepting as improvement over the published movie.
Dacicus: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6588: Lobsterzelda's A2600 Bobby is Going Home in 03:26.03
Lobsterzelda
He/Him
Skilled player (1221)
Whoops. I meant to post this file for the TAS: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/60468875408644022 The other bk2 file was just the one I used to make the temp-encode of the TAS. If a judge could swap the file on this submission with the userfile movie, I would greatly appreciate it.
AIVV73
He/Him
Player (76)
Good graphics,fast-paced,awesome usage of tas tools! 10/10
My name is AIVV, I'm an artist, I'm a tas artist. I'm hired to people to fulfill their fantasies, their deep dark fantasies.
g0goTBC
He/Him
Experienced player (755)
That's a very very very TAS. Jokes aside, even when having it play at 4x the speed, it felt slow-paced. That's a no for me, but it's good for the vault tier.
Banjo-Tooie runner, DTC 8, 9, 10, and 11 winner, but more importantly, "When's GR?" Current projects: Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge - 100% (50 minutes) Mario Party 1 - All Boards (est: 4-6 hours) Mario Party 3 - All Minigames (est: 40-50 minutes, not sure) "Ooooh, I saved some more subpixels. Look at those sweet subpixels. You can't look at them, because they're subpixels, but they look so good." - The8bitbeast "It's as if I knew what was going to happen. It's as if I had the plan written in front of me and I was reading it. I mean, I do have it in front of me, but I'm not reading it." -garagedooropener
Lobsterzelda
He/Him
Skilled player (1221)
g0goTBC wrote:
That's a very very very TAS. Jokes aside, even when having it play at 4x the speed, it felt slow-paced. That's a no for me, but it's good for the vault tier.
The funny thing is, the developers seem to have intentionally made the game painfully slow. Address 0X0025 is a counter that increments by 1 each frame, starting at 0 when the game is powered on. When the counter hits 3, it is reset back to 0. Bobby only moves right on frames where the counter is 0 and right is being held on the joystick. As such, if you played the game with a cheat enabled to set 0X0025 to always have a value of 0, then Bobby would move 4X faster relative to the background and other enemies, which makes the game feel more fluid and less painfully slow. Unfortunately, whether it be due to technical limitations or a desire to make the game take longer to beat, Bobby is cursed to only be able to walk forward once every four frames. This is one of the few TASes i've made that even I feel bored re-watching, which is probably part of the reason why this movie still hasn't been claimed for judging despite being so short.
Judge, Skilled player (1288)
One question: why did you play two loops? Why not just one or more than two?
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Judge, Active player (303)
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
TASVideoAgent wrote:
After this, I did the second level of the game, since this is the last level of the game where the difficulty increases, so this should have been included in the currently published run of the game (the current movie ends after reaching Bobby's house once - which is the end of level 1).
but that's right Lobsterzelda, please explain better why this is the last level where the difficulty increases to let the judge verify that this is the case. What makes the 2nd level harder ? Why does this not change after, in the third loop ?
Judge, Skilled player (1288)
Oh I completely missed that part of the submission text. But in any case, please give more details about the difficulty. As ViGadeomes mentioned, what's harder in the second loop, and why isn't the third loop even harder? And are there any known RAM addresses?
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
Lobsterzelda
He/Him
Skilled player (1221)
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
That is a good question, and it took me a while to figure out that the difficulty stops increasing after 2 loops. The most important address to look at is 0X22, which is the screen counter. This counter determines what hazards will appear on the screen, and what the background will look like (the level counter is stored at address 0X41, but changing this has no effect on the game besides changing the number displayed at the bottom of the screen for level number). If you play back my TAS but alter the screen counter to start on the first screen of a new loop (ex. 8 or 16), then it will sync up perfectly, which leads me to believe that the difficulty is not increasing. Furthermore, there are no screens after the end of screen 16 (the end of the second level) that have a new set of hazards/new number of enemies appear on a screen. The reason why the second level is also included is because there is a disappearing platform hazard that appears on the first screen of the second loop which isn't in the first loop. Additionally, on the third screen of the second loop, there are 3 ostriches walking on the ground instead of 2 (as there were in the first loop). After beating the second loop, there is no new content that appears, and no increase in difficulty, so this is where I end my TAS. I followed the convention in my Road Runner TAS (also for the Atari 2600), which was initially rejected for not playing through 2 full loops of the game, even though new content stopped midway through the second loop of levels. Thus, based on this criteria, I believe that the end of the second loop/level represents the best end point for the TAS.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4103] A2600 Bobby is Going Home by Lobsterzelda in 03:26.03