Post subject: Call for judges!
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Judging is an elaborate job. It requires doing research in order to check if the movie is optimal, legitimate, and entertaining. It involves helping people develop TAS skills and encouraging them to contribute more, and on a higher level. It's a responsibility of being fair and open while deciding what content should represent the site. To cover all these aspects, a judge needs to take their time and assess everything that's relevant to a given movie. And to handle this qualitatively, one needs to be sure that fellow judges are taking on other movies in the workbench, and no one is under heavy stress. It's always better to judge less movies with more care (and then recreate if needed), than to have many in your queue, trying to deliver decisions sooner and slowly burning out. So to help our judges stay more relaxed and focused, I'm calling for new judges! Here are the role requirements: http://tasvideos.org/Roles.html#Judge As my signature says, if you deal with the Movie Rules and try to apply them, you're taking your TASing to a new level. And to do that, you should be able to understand the rules and the principles behind them, judging not only by the letter, but also by the spirit of the law. But don't worry, every time you're not sure about something, you can always ask me and other judges. It's my duty to provide sensible explanations and to help you make a proper decision. If you have at least a few hundred player points and at least a few movies published, if you're around on the workbench forum and chats, discussing submissions and WIPs, and you would like to take this hobby to the new level described above, please send me a private message on forum, and we'll discuss it!
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3968)
I have no interest in applying myself but can i suggest other people that might fit the bill?
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Developing honest internal interest and finally deciding to jump in feet first is not the same as getting poked and bluntly asked. Let people speak up for themselves.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Experienced player (994)
I'm interested. I strongly believe I can be objective and rules-oriented in my judgement. My concern is that I have zero experience with emulators outside of BizHawk nor can I use RAM search or savestates for checking values or optimization. In short, I would need a lot of help on the technical side of things.
WarHippy wrote:
nor can I use RAM search or savestates for checking values or optimization
How do you TAS then?
Experienced player (994)
Trial and error :P Also TAStudio spoiled me.... hard. I was fully expecting to learn save states when I started my first TAS, but it never came to be. More than a few times I've considered starting a pay-for-lua thread. After spending so long working with the .lua that Thunderaxe and xy2_ created for DBAA, and after working extensively with the .lua Cyorter (and later Blazephlozard) created for DTC 8 I can't in good conscience continue working on TASes without one. I'm almost assuredly going to request help to create a .lua for me for my next project.