Super Pitfall improved by 5:32 -- who expected that? ;)
There are 5 items that Harry MUST collect during his adventure: 1. The Raj Diamond 2. The key to Quickclaw the Lion's cage 3. Quickclaw the Lion 4. The flask of medicine for Rhonda 5. Rhonda. The game ends when Harry has collected all 5 items and returns to the start.
Harry dies twice during the run. The first death's purpose is to reach a normally inaccessable platform -- something that saves a lot of time. The second death's purpose is to save about one second of time.
I don't want to spoil what makes this so much faster than the last version. You'll have to watch it in order to find out. Hopefully you've already seen the 11:52 version so that you can understand this movie better.
Add these categories: Uses death to save time, Abuses programming errors, Manipulates luck, Genre: Adventure

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #667: Arc's NES Super Pitfall in 06:20.22
HOLY ^%&##$! YOU BROKE SUPER PITFALL! Can someone give this a Star because this one's skyhigh and heaven sent! Without spoiling anything, I now have to rewrite the settings for this game due to the glitchploitation, but I mean.. DAYUM! I really wish I knew what inspired you to make this incredible run, let alone how you found out about that one glitch! "Going Up!" Yes Vote HANDS DOWN! Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Editor, Active player (296)
Looks like you have analyzed some wall-object collision checks to detail. Very good, for this boring game :)
Very nice run. I had this game when I was a kid and the part with the undead like things would scare the hell out of me. Good job!
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Great run. Those glitches and shortcuts are widely known, but i wouldnt imagine putting them all together and shaving 5 minutes of the older 11 minutes run, great job.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [334] NES Super Pitfall by Arc in 06:20.22
Former player
Broken that's for sure. You win next year's NES - Most unexpected movie award. :D
Active player (277)
Whoa, a fast publish and a fast download. I've never seen the rate go over 200 before.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Can someone explain some of the basics of the game to me? I don't understand why your character navagates up to some dead-end, jumps, and in mid-air the game flashes and you reappear somewhere else entirely. Is this some sort of invisible teleporter, some natural ability of the character to move between world environments, an exploitation of some glitch, or back-to-start reset like in metroid? And while I don't want to give away the secret for those who haven't seen the movie, is there some place we could put a more detailed explanation of the glitches abused in this game? There seems to be so much going on here that I don't understand.
I ought not to tie the knot too taught.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Those teleports are part of the gameplay. The items are hidden and to make them appear you have to jump on a certain spot (only finadble on a normal play by trial and error, so always jump so you can unveil intems). The portals are hidden too and work same way, but when you jump to the spot it teleports instead of showing up an item.
Arc
Editor, Experienced player (768)
It's true that some people already had known about the ability to walk into walls. After some of my own experimentation, however, I have realized how to apply the concept in useful ways. First, it hadn't been known that Harry could get into a wall in only a few seconds. Second, it hadn't been known how to use this glitch practically in a route. I love planning routes. The first time that I use the wall exploit is to get to the Raj Diamond without having to pick up a Heart Ball. The second time that I use it is to get to a particular warp point (the red bird) quickly. Third, it hadn't been known that the same concept can force Harry to fall into the floor--a tactic that saves about 4 seconds at the second Easter Island Head.
Active player (277)
...Heh, now that I've downloaded a couple of other movies on this computer, I'm starting to think that the download speed has more to do with this new broadband connection my family bought recently. But it helps to have 25 seeds.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Arc wrote:
The first time that I use the wall exploit is to get to the Raj Diamond without having to pick up a Heart Ball. The second time that I use it is to get to a particular warp point (the red bird) quickly. Third, it hadn't been known that the same concept can force Harry to fall into the floor--a tactic that saves about 4 seconds at the second Easter Island Head.
Could you so kindly explain how to perform this glitch in both instances... the jumping up into and up the wall and the falling into the floor glitch..? I'm especially curious about the falling glitch ^^ Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Arc
Editor, Experienced player (768)
Well, here is what I know about it. First, there must be a moving object on the screen, such as a snake or a moving platform. Second, it's repeatable if the exact same actions are repeated from a designated point. Third, it's manipulatable by jumping, stopping, firing bullets, etc. (At the spots where I fired bullets that missed, the glitches wouldn't have worked if I hadn't fired them in those particular cases.) There's no guaranteed way to make it work though. I just tried different movements and noted how long it took to get into the wall, then tried to do it faster than that, and repeated the process until I couldn't find any way to do it faster.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Here's a bug: Complete the game's main objectives (don't go back to the first screen), and then suicide for game over. Then let the computer start playing and you will get the ending message, because of a bug, harry is on the first screen, so the game shows the ending message, should this be used? I haven't tested it, just heard about it :) edit: ok i tested it. it works: i carboncopied arc's run and suicided at the end right after finding harry's neice. had to suicide 4 times he had lot of lives. position harry on a place he will die the last life, then stop recording, he will get killed, gameover, then title scree, then computer will play and display ending, that's almost 30 secs faster. But the user can ruin it by inputting something if he's watching on the emulator. Anyway, it's faster :_) The last moment you can end the movie without the user screwing things up is after the title screen, and that can be used to compare to arc's movie. that time is 6:18. but if you want to end earlier and not worry about user input, then its possible to end recording at 5:53 without delaying the ending in any way. If you dont care about getting gameover as fast as possible it's possible to drop down the ladder and end themovie there at 5:04 and still see the ending (assuming nobody touches the controller). that way the ending will appear at 6:35... so these are the options if using this bug: - end at 6:18 (i dont see a reason to do this) - end at 5:53 and get ending at 6:18 (which is a common thing here in nesvideos) - end at 5:04 and get ending at 6:35 (if you don't care about fastest ending) I tested soft reseting after finding the neice, but it didnt work, it erased the game completion info i suppose.
I'd have to say I hold that one in about as much esteem as the Zelda 2 glitched run - it's interesting to be able to end input earlier, so I don't see why not to count it as the fastest clear time possible...but in my opinion it's not as interesting to watch as someone running and flailing balls-out through the ending to do it themselves. *shrug* I'd say put it out as a separate file rather than outdating this beautiful run.
YtterbiJum, on SMB3: I've tried 20+ times and it always desyncs there. Unless, of course, Genisto meant to die, use a star on the map screen, go in a pipe, and jump around till time runs out.
Active player (325)
I just tried it myself, and I wasn't really impressed. I don't think that could count as "winning" the game, that just looks like a demo glitch. You don't even get the ending music, and you go back to the title screen instead of starting the 2nd quest.