• Emulator used: snes9x-improvement6
    • Use WIP1 timing
    • Volume Envelope Height Reading
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game (don't they all?)
  • No predefined saves
  • Uses warps
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Manipulates luck (really only for fast level fade-out)
  • Genre: Platform
This movie attempts to kill Bowser as fast as possible. Compared to the previous best version by Alexis Neuhaus it:
  • Kills Bowser 15.2 seconds faster (judged by last HIT on bowser not movie end)
  • Gets an extra 1 up!
  • Gets 38420 more points
  • Gets 17 more coins!
Last input: 38159
Last hit on Bowser: 38182
Last input if aiming for shortest last input: 38118
Making this movie was very fun and challenging. When I first started I thought it wouldn't be very interesting because it was already so optimal and all I would be doing was copying it but adding in a few improvements discovered by VIPer7 while working on his 96 exit video, namely the fast flying and the Bowser fight. Luckily the game has many quirks and turned out to have lots of places where minor details could be exploited to save many frames where not expected.
I would like to thank VIPer7 for his work on this project and his 96 exit video with many improvements. Also for his strictness in style as well as frames. Truncated, even though in the end he did not directly work on this video, he did choose for it to be the game done, and provided good feedback and advice. Mazzic for his good 11 exit run that he never finished, this provided a very fast reference to compete with in the earlier levels. BoltR for providing useful new tricks and general screwing around with stuff. And all of the previous authors of Super Mario World videos. And all the people who provided encouragement and feedback from the forum and IRC.
Enjoy!

Here is a short summary of improvements by level:

Yoshi's Island 3

• 4 frames were saved by running longer on the swinging platforms

Yoshi's Island 4

• 13 frames saved by bouncing off a shell to avoid landing in the water

Iggy's Castle

• 54 frames saved by jumping off of a falling pswitch (this is a bug, you must jump at the exact frame). Pswitch horizontal and vertical speed most be controlled for proper placement to be able to make the this jump without hitting fireball and still getting far enough to land safely.
  • 12 frames saved by not getting firepower (cost 32, saves 20)
  • Cool survive stompers trick discovered by BoltR

Donut Plains 1

• 16 frames saved by executing putting key in hole smoother

Donut Secret 1

• A few frames saved entering first pipe as soon as possible
  • A few more frames saved by grabbing shell as fast as possible
  • A good amount of frames saved by executing the drop shell regrab faster
  • Some more saved by getting Mario's speed up before grabbing the key
(Total 32 frames saved)

Donut Secret House

• 75 frames saved by flying through the stairs. This glitch is possible so long as you are moving upwards as you pass through the stairs (it actually can be done better without the cape, but it would take too long to switch to fire power and back even if we had it).
  • 69 frames saved getting to the last door. This was done by turning around flying, and by using a glitch that lets you gain altitude very quickly, to do this press forward every other frame for 10 frames and then hold backwards to lift off. The pswitch is hit at the end because when you hit it you lose your speed and flying.
  • BoltR demonstrated that it is possible to survive with no blocks left (this is supposed to be impossible because the victory waits for you to 'land' on something.

Star World 1

• 85 frames saved by better executing the 'smashola' glitch. Pretty good for a level that is only 5 seconds long to start with.

Star World 2

• 12 frames saved by not hitting the ground and grabbing the key better

Star World 3

• 15 frames saved through precision

Star World 4

• 40 frames by 'fast flying', see VIPer7's 96 exit entry for explanation.
  • About 15 frames saved by using a shell to hit the question block to get key sooner.
  • Lost about 35 frames by getting an extra feather (this is the fastest place to do it)

Bowser's Castle

• 6 frames by flying towards first door
  • 11 frames by making the middle jump as short as possible in the fence room.
  • Lost 23 frames in room with spikes falling (but still has cape equipped). After experimenting with a number of options this was the fastest, taking door #7 is close behind though.
  • 17 frames by flying some in the dark room
  • 456 frames saved by having a cape and flying high to hit koopa's as soon as possible in the Bowser fight.
  • Usually a couple of frames were saved for each level by more precise level selection.
  • At the end of every level there is time that it takes the game to fade-out is seemingly random, this is usually only a few frames in variance but sometimes it is over 10. This was manipulated as much as possible to save time.

Bisqwit: Great work, surpassing everyone's expectations!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #689: flagitious, VIPer7's SNES Super Mario World in 10:35.98
Sweert Jeebus! This doesn't have a star yet?! Alone for the speed... doubly for the Ghost House Pwnage... And the hell? I mean... the entire flight in the Boo Battle was mindblowing... if that could be done on a real console... wow... Improvements are noticable... the P-Switch jump alone in Castle #1 was worth the price of admission... Can't stop raving... DEFINITE YES! Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Former player
Very yes. Nice job guys. =)
If for honesty, you want apologies, I don't sympathize.
Player (209)
Very entertaining without losing the best possible speed. A YES, of course!
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Actually I felt kind of guilty that i tricked you into doing this game and then dropped out. But seeing how good the result turned out, and how much better you played (a lot better than I would have done anyway, probably), I changed my mind.
Hi, who was the one to point out snes games having few glitches? While they may not have an effect as devastating as on the NES games, they prove to be interesting none the less. Congratulations! Very, very well done. Now ifonly someone could tell me what exactly happened with those mushrooms in the last phase of the browser fight... WOW! Philip
O_o MAMMA MIA! .... XD Great Run.... Yes-Star
<Neclea>Gavin Ward <Sprint>WHAT? WHERE? <oldskoolgamer101>What a stupid name! oldskoolgamer101 was kicked from # soniccenter by Sprint [ says you , kimpy ]
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Very well done, the Big Boo... wow that was a really scary and funny way to do it. star yes!
all parts r very funny!! I like it!
This is my Signature. = 4aa6a32c5eb83ac0ddcbc0039a26b240
That was AMAZING. I loved it. Great job, guys.
I only say, wow wow wow...
Former player
I'm not sure I can vote on this one, because Yes just doesn't cover how unbelievably awesome this movie is.
I haven't seen the full run yet, and can therefore only judge from the various work-in-progress-smvs that were posted in the thread. But still: Amazing movie, a definite yes, and a gooey warm happy feeling that tedious, detailed work actually gets appreciated around the NESVideos realm. :P
Erklärung der Relativität: "Wenn du deine Nase in meinen Po steckst, haben wir beide eine Nase im Po. Nur ich bin relativ besser dran."
Player (67)
Totally amazing movie. The best ghost fight ever, best Bowser fight ever, and all that. This is what timeattacks/tool-assisted speedruns/whatever they're called now are all about.
Active player (432)
the are called nowadays: TAS ^_^
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
WOW! That was unbelievable. You dissed Bowser so hard. Definitely one of the best speed runs I have ever seen. And pilif, he uses Select to drop the spare mushroom before grabbing the next one. Once he has one falling, he can even drop the second one and have them both falling at the same time. Very clever!
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Player (65)
Holy wow! That's the best thing since sliced bread, right there. (Though keep in mind I don't hold sliced bread in very high regards. =P) Definite yes-vote, though it doesn't matter at this point. (Heck, the movie hasn't even been published and you've already got a star. That says volumes more than I ever could.)
If life were an RPG, I'd be an NPC.
I especially liked the beginning of the first level, (the turtles being stomped) and the use of a turtle shell as a fireball! Very very entertaining.
I think the juggling of the blocks during the big boo fight did it for me. Voted "Yes."
Fro Jackson wrote:
I think the juggling of the blocks during the big boo fight did it for me. Voted "Yes."
Yeah, that was certainly a highlight as well. Though when I was watching it, I kinda wondered: "Is it possible to juggle more than 2 blocks?", cause that would be friggin' sweet.
Former player
I'm afraid I'll have to vote no. You won't impress me until you can juggle flaming torches, blocks are just too easy. :P Just kidding, that part was cool. Anyway, I've just seen the WIP up to Bowser's Castle so far so I'll have to watch the whole thing now, and then I'll vote. Edit: Would it be possible to start the ending faster by being a little farther right when the princess comes down so you don't have to move over to be standing next to the princess?
Player (200)
Locke wrote:
"Is it possible to juggle more than 2 blocks?", cause that would be friggin' sweet.
Yes, but in this case it uses a bug where you remain in flying state after throwing it which can only be done when you throw the block during the very beginning of the rise. Also about ending it faster by positioning with princess, I think that yes that would make it faster but I am defining winning by last hit on bowser so I did not bother timing or testing anything afterwards. Thanks for all the positive comments, they really make me motivated to put just as much effort into another video now.
g,o,p,i=1e4,a[10001];main(x){for(;p?g=g/x*p+a[p]*i+2*!o: 53^(printf("%.4d",o+g/i),p=i,o=g%i);a[p--]=g%x)x=p*2-1;}
Former player
OH, i'll find a new trick so I can vote no. Just you wait, you will see. Unless your flagitious, as he already knows.
Former player
Very funny, entertaining and impressively flawless... I voted YES of course
Not dead yet... still very busy... damn...
Former player
Very funny, entertaining and impressively flawless... I voted YES of course
Not dead yet... still very busy... damn...