Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is the working version of my Jurassic Park speed run. I used your snes9x-143-WIP1 emulator to do it and used the Jurassic Park(V1.0) (U) ROM. I tried other versions of both the emulator and ROM and neither worked, this combination however did. My objective was to play through the game as fast as I possibly could, completing it 100%. I used no programming errors or glitches to beat the game, nor did I use warps or passwords. The game has no password function or save function and must be played from start to finish without turning the system or you'll have to start all over again. I took damage to save time and in some places I used death to save time. When inside buildings if you die you are taken out of the building and placed at the entrance. All of the things you did inside the building are saved, so I used this to my advantage to save time. This helped greatly in the Raptor Nest. This run wasn't too hard to make. Once you memorize your path and the locations of the Raptor eggs it can be done with ease.
In this game you play as Alan Grant and are stuck on Jurassic Park. The comuters are down and dinosaurs are running amok all over the place and it's up to you to right things. You must survive the island while doing the various tasks that are set for you. Throughout the game you will be notified by other people on the island of your tasks and other tidbits of information. You must stop Raptors from breeding, stop Raptors from getting into the Visitor's Center, etc. etc. Once you have completed the tedious tasks you can call for your helicopter to come get you off the island. In my opinion the most annoying place is the Raptor Nest, as for it's one gigantic maze. No matter how much planning I did I could not navigate it without getting lost. Thankfully I was able to die once I set the Nerve Gas container in the eggs so it would take me out. The ship was annoying too, but not as much as the Raptor Nest because the ship isn't a maze.
This run can definately be beaten, especially if you can successfully navigate the Raptor Nest. The reason why it takes so long to beat this game is because of all the backtracking you have to do. You have to pick up ID cards to access certain areas and sometimes you have to trek all the way across the island to get a card. Eliminating as much backtracking as possible would really decrease the time. I think people will be pleased with the result. You may notice I bumped into walls and things while indoors, that's because it's so hard to manuver indoors that it is easier to bump into things and move on than to avoid it in some cases.

Truncated: Rejected because of obvious sub-standard playing. Especially the pathing in the top-view could be improved a lot. The FPS parts needs to be made more interesting if this run is going to last for the length it is now. Other improvements have been suggested as well.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #807: Tailz's SNES Jurassic Park in 1:03:25.48
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
I think this game needs more effort put into it than this (either that or none). This is the sort of game I'd never be able to finish, so I'm impressed in that sense, but it doesn't seem to be played with much precision, I'll take your word for it that the route could be a lot better, and it's pretty long overall. It is a bit interesting to see first-person stuff in a TAS, although I found those parts not as pleasant to watch as the third-person ones.
I personally believe this game should be posted. It could have been better, but like with everything else on this site, they are re-done by either the same person or others to make it faster and better.
Player (80)
I don't really like it. For a time attack, it'd be good, but you don't have any excuse to be imprecise when you're using an emulator and rerecording. Missed shots, unnecessary kills, unnecessary item pickups, movements that need to be corrected, etc don't need to happen when you have frame-perfect control over your movie. You seem to have a general idea of how a movie should look, but you need to apply it more vigorously than you do. Also, unless the game won't let you into the dark areas without the night vision goggles, why bother with them? If you know that it can be optimized as far as routes go, then either do it or post the wip in the snes forum and suggest how someone else could do it.
ideamagnate| .seen aqfaq <nothing happens> DK64_MASTER| .seen nesvideoagent * DK64_MASTER slaps forehead
Former player
I know it's not the best but like I said it's my first run. The unnecessary kills part was me mocking Tim. Everytime I got near the Gallimimus he would say "Don't shoot the Gallimimus!" So I would shoot them to be an ass and to add a touch of humor to the run. About the dark rooms: you can't enter them unless you have the night vision goggles, and while skipping them would be a time saving method, it can't be done. Some of the dark rooms contain ID cards that are required to get into future areas, and some have to be passed through simply to progress into the building you are in. The items I picked up were necessary because I needed all the ammo I could get. True, if I knew how much each ammo pickup gave I could calculate the precise amount needed for the run, but I don't know much they give. It show s four icons of the weapon, yet takes 3 or 4 shots for one icon to go away. That's why I picked up the extra ammo. All in all, I'd really like to see it get published. If it doesn't oh well, at least I can say I have made a speed run. Thanks for watching the video though.
Guybrush: "I'm selling these fine leather jackets." Wally: "Really?" Guybrush: "No. I 'm lying." Wally: "In that case, I don't want one!" Currently working on: Nothing at the moment.
Former player
I think the biggest issue I have with this run are the indoor areas. I'm fairly familiar with the game and I know that moving inside is a pain in the ass. That being said, I think indoor areas are one of the times when something like frame advance should be taken into account, as it would allow very precise movement. Since the outdoor areas are much more open, regular slowdown playing would probably be fine for that. As for ammo, if you ever decide to redo the run, I feel you should do more testing to see if you can get an exact amount of ammo per pickup. If it gives the same amount every time, you can better plan when you'll need more of it. If it's random, optimize for the most ammo it CAN give and go from there. The route was pretty good, and I can't really find any faults in it. I think it would be best not to shoot at random, though (like to mock Tim -- man, I don't remember those gigantic cards popping up so often...) since it would help later on, when you need ammo and don't have it. A good first try, though. With a little practice, I'm sure you could get really good at this stuff. Lord knows it isn't the easiest hobby to slip into.
Personally I perfer something more along the lines of this then the total perfection runs. It makes it seem more legit. If I had a way to record my runs on Suikoden 2 for the PS1, You'd see a lot of mistakes that I would make in order to show off the game more. The runs aren't just about speed. I know thats a main focus here but still. If you want to improve upon it, do it yourself. Very simple. I have high respect for anyone who has the patience to do this.
Player (36)
(Disclaimer: I haven't watched the run) Did you see if walking in an odd direction (such as diagonally or backwards, or jumping or something) speeds up movement in FPS mode?
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Lieza McDohl wrote:
I have high respect for anyone who has the patience to do this.
So do I, but that isn't the point. The main purpose of making these movies is to end up with something entertaining, so it doesn't matter very much how much effort goes into making them. And anyway, in this case I don't think all that much patience was required, because he said in the submission description that it wasn't very hard to make, and I haven't found any reason to disagree with that statement.
Lieza McDohl wrote:
If you want to improve upon it, do it yourself. Very simple.
That's how it works. I don't particularly want to improve upon it, so I won't. That doesn't mean I can't suggest that someone else improve it, especially someone that seems to be able and possibly willing to do so.
Lieza McDohl wrote:
If I had a way to record my runs on Suikoden 2 for the PS1, You'd see a lot of mistakes that I would make in order to show off the game more.
I actually liked the things that were done for humor in this run, even if they wasted a little time. What I mainly didn't like were the unoptimized movements and (this is probably just my personal opinion of the game) the repetitiveness in indoor areas. And the overall length... a time-saving route change would go a long way to help this.
Lieza McDohl wrote:
Personally I perfer something more along the lines of this then the total perfection runs. It makes it seem more legit.
I can relate to this, but I think that's what speedruns are for.
Former player
I liked this run, but the game itself is quite boring to watch.. Going to same places for different reasons just to get one ID then back to someplace else to get a ID behind a door locked by a ID then go back to the earlier place to get a ID behind a door... (well, you get my point perhaps :P) Only if there was some glitches to speed up the game...
- mazzeneko
Player (36)
Well, I desynced in the second utility shed.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Former player
Yeah, it's desynching for me now too... I don't know why. It didn't desynch when I watched it before I submitted it. If it had I wouldn't have submitted it. It worked for me before, now it desynchs when I go to cross the river. Maybe this is one of those games that just can't be done. Maybe the emu can't handle recording 3D and 2D aspects in the same game. I dunno.
Guybrush: "I'm selling these fine leather jackets." Wally: "Really?" Guybrush: "No. I 'm lying." Wally: "In that case, I don't want one!" Currently working on: Nothing at the moment.
Are either of you using fast-forward or speed higher than 100%? In some games, fast-forwarding while the game is transitioning between areas (black screen) will cause a desync.
Player (36)
Not the first time I watched the run.
Former player
I've watched the run before as well, it only started to desynch when I tried to convert it to an avi. If I watch it normally it probably won't desynch.
Player (36)
Turn off Sync Sound Samples with CPU and it works.
It doesn't work...
Former player
Although it has already been said, this run could be better. I hate to say it, since this game has so much potential. However, there were too many sloppy shots, wrong turns, and whatnot. There were countless corners that could have been cut, you could have handled the computer sequences much more quickly and fluidly, and it seems as if you went out of your way to kill a lot. This could definitely be brough under the hour mark, but it will require some more attention to details. Pay attention to picking up less ammo, refining your control, and not killing too many extraneous things. As far as I can recall, your route seemed pretty good at integrating eggs into your objective paths. Stick with it when you redo this.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
I've our work Tailz since this and know that it has improved much. This run simply isn't up to par. I know that if redid this, you could certainly improve it a lot. So I will be voting 'NO' Even if this is improved I not so sure it should be published, it is a very long game. (though I am not convinced of my opinion)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
I watched this movie recently and had forgotten how difficult it is to navigate the first-person parts until I booted up the rom myself. An excellent effort. I think it could be improved though. The character messages that pop up in certain areas can be deactivated by pressing 'L' or 'R', this might save some additional frames (as well as annoyance). So much backtracking though, what a pain.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!