Dracula is back once again, and this time Annet and Maria are locked up in some unknown locations.
  • Played on Snes9X v1.43+ , with WIP1 Timing, Sync Sampples with sound CPU, Fake Mute desync workaround
  • No passwords used
  • Best Ending (Saving both Annet and Maria)
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Manipulates luck
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Genre: Platform
Dan started this movie about 1½ years ago (Sept. 2004), but had to stop at Stage 4 - the mine. A few days ago I (Nightcom) started a TAS for this game without reading the topic about it, which was kind of dumb but gave me good practice that I otherwise wouldn't have had.
I started to really enjoy how it was speedrun, with all the backflips and other precise timing one had to go through. So I decided to take the honor of continuing the unfinished run all the way to and through the final battles. I must confess that this was probably the hardest Dracula I've ever experienced, and that the movie makes the overall game look much easier than it is - in my opinion.
Anyway, enjoy the "flipped out" movie. ;)
It'd be best to use one in that area since it's the first level and more people would probably recognize it in case they haven't played through the whole game.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #966: dan, Nightcom's SNES Castlevania: Dracula X in 16:52.27
Former player
i'd much rather see a screenshot of richter item crashing the key... or giving the "?" to dullahan. nice. -does whipping after a backflip cancel the slide animation? -i never really noticed until the clock tower, but are the stairs difficult to move on, as far as landing and then turning around and jumping once more? this game's movie is long overdue... YES vote from me.
Active player (432)
I used exactly the same settings (= Sync Sampples with sound CPU, Fake Mute desync workaround) as you Nightcom but it freezed after a few seconds. Any suggestions how I can solve the problem?
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
Turn off Sync Samples if it freezes. (It happens on some computers but I haven't been able to reproduce it or figure out why (although I haven't really looked at much either).)
Former player
/*- wrote:
i'd much rather see a screenshot of richter item crashing the key... or giving the "?" to dullahan. nice. -does whipping after a backflip cancel the slide animation? -i never really noticed until the clock tower, but are the stairs difficult to move on, as far as landing and then turning around and jumping once more? this game's movie is long overdue... YES vote from me.
Yes, the stairs are horribly slow and annoying. and for the backflip whip, look below: | | \/
Dan_ wrote:
When you backflip, you slide for 8 frames at backflip speed, i.e. faster than almost any other mode of transportation. A backflip w/whip cancel erases those 8 frames, and adds 1 more frame where you can't move because Richter has to bring his whip back in before you can do anything. This makes it 1 frame faster than a normal jump. Given the circumstances, it was faster to just jump the majority of the distance, because although it is one frame slower, it gets you a farther distance, meaning less walking. If I were to have backflipped w/whip cancel, I would be one frame ahead, but have more distance to walk. Hopefully that garbled explanation makes sense.
Active player (432)
Viewed your whole run. Im voting Yes but its not a strong yes vote because I get the feeling that it wasnt fully 100% optimized. Im thinking mainly of your battle against that Grim Reaper boss. I felt you could do more damage on him depending on where you are standing. Maybe Im completely wrong because I obviously dont have any understanding how this games physics works. What caught my eye is that nearly 98% of the whole run, you guys walked and jumped backwards which was very cool! Overall, I think this run does deserves to be published.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Former player
The Death battle: ...is annoying me just a bit with those two hearts, but it's like 0.2 or so seconds at max. About his first form... Otherwise I'm really happy with the fight, you can't hit him constantly because he flies away after each hit and he's invincible for a few seconds. Hence why the battle looks a bit odd in the beginning. And his second form... I really like the 2nd battle though and especially the last hit I get on him, it looks kind of like nothing but if you know how it is playing against him you'd be surprised, because I jump in and land on the perfect frame and hit him on the perfect frame pretty much (literally impossible on a console I think, because his second swing with the scythe usually gives you damage even if you're a few pixels away from it) and not to mention how insanely fast the swing is and that he seemed invincible for a few seconds at some points (parts of swinging, flying, moving) in his 2nd form.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Yea i had the feeling that some stuff could have been done slightly faster, but just by looking at it i don't know exactly how. It was entertaining nontheless and it's Castlevania! i'm glad it's finished, i think this really should be pusblished.
Player (24)
Not 100% sure anymore what I write. There was a short error and now my post is gone. Voted Yes, because the run looks great. I like the backjumping. Some parts look bad, but the reason is maybe only the bad controlling from the character. Other nice things are the shortcuts by get damage. Great idea. So all together the run looks great.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
I'm not really sure about this... it's hard to ignore the way the playing style changes sometime around the mine level (which is where Dan stopped). A few of the especially noticeable mistakes after that were: - On frame 28410, he makes a dagger appear for no apparent reason and walks in the wrong direction for a while before continuing to backflip to avoid it. - On frame 29522, he uses the key once in the wrong direction missing the door, then waits for the animation to finish and uses it a second time facing the other way to unlock the door, wasting about 25 frames - Walks the wrong way at 30480 instead of cancelling the backflip earlier, and generally spends more time on the ground walking or waiting for the whip animation to finish than appears necessary compared to what was done in the first few levels - Going up the stairs around 41615 (and most stairs after that), I don't know if it's done suboptimally but it looks like it since it's a noticeably different way of going up the stairs than Dan used - Throwing a cross to collect hearts on 45440 looks odd, because earlier the hearts were always collected by whipping candles along the way - The 1st form of Death looks improveable, as almost everyone else has said (the 2-hit item crash doesn't look so bad, I'm not sure 3 is possible, but the long amount of time spent waiting for Death to get back onscreen to be hit didn't look very good). This still beats the game quickly and has plenty of cool tricks in it, so maybe it should be published for that, but I'm pretty sure it would be better if the later levels had been played with as much (if not more) attention to detail as the first few levels.
Former player
nitsuja wrote:
I'm not really sure about this (and haven't voted yet)... it's hard to ignore the way the playing style changes sometime around the mine level (which is where Dan stopped). A few of the especially noticeable mistakes after that were: - On frame 28410, he makes a dagger appear for no apparent reason and walks in the wrong direction for a while before continuing to backflip to avoid it.
"for a while" xD. 3 frames? If I remember correctly it was to stop sooner and not have the enemy change his attack pattern and jump forward.
- On frame 29522, he uses the key once in the wrong direction missing the door, then waits for the animation to finish and uses it a second time facing the other way to unlock the door, wasting about 25 frames
I could've used the whip to stop, but if felt like turning around/using the item again went faster if I stopped using the key.
- Walks the wrong way at 30480 instead of cancelling the backflip earlier, and generally spends more time on the ground walking or waiting for the whip animation to finish than appears necessary compared to what was done in the first few levels
*shrug* Don't know how to go to or check the frames. The Mermen got some random annoying attacks all the time though so it's most likely because of that. i.e. if I jumped 4 frames later at one point they'd do a jump against me instead of shooting fire or something.
- Going up the stairs around 41615 (and most stairs after that), I don't know if it's done suboptimally but it looks like it since it's a noticeably different way of going up the stairs than Dan used
No idea, all I know is that Castlevania stairs suck.
- Throwing a cross to collect hearts on 45440 looks odd, because earlier the hearts were always collected by whipping candles along the way
Obviously whipping back then because I wouldn't lose time and probably kill an enemy at the same time? Here it felt like I'd have to backflip, whip, walk forward a few pixels, and backflip again etc.
- The 1st form of Death looks improveable, as almost everyone else has said (the 2-hit item crash doesn't look so bad, I'm not sure 3 is possible, but the long amount of time spent waiting for Death to get back onscreen to be hit didn't look very good).
The crosses will stay on the screen and not go outside. I really did go through different ways of the first form though. At some points he went up above me in an annoying way and didn't keep his low/middle flying (which happened most of the time in the battle in this movie) his temporary invincibility and stuff is extremely annoying.
This still beats the game quickly and has plenty of cool tricks in it, so maybe it should be published for that, but I'm pretty sure it would be better if the later levels had been played with as much (if not more) attention to detail as the first few levels.
Close to perfection all the way through might give a 16:4..5? 40 at max maybe. With the tricks we have now. I think Dullahan could be a bit faster in this movie too. Anyway, well, at least I tried. I'm eager to start a new speedrun on this game from the beginning, but I'd just want a rush through the game and ignore saving Annet and Maria. But I think I'll go through Aria Of Sorrow first, as it's an old classic to me since a friend and I found how to get a lot more percentage and other glitches and tricks not really known anymore which are really useful and cool.
Nightcom wrote:
"for a while" xD. 3 frames? If I remember correctly it was to stop sooner and not have the enemy change his attack pattern and jump forward.
I thought it was more like 8 frames, maybe not though. I didn't know it was for luck manipulation but it probably wasn't necessary to do it exactly like that.
Nightcom wrote:
I could've used the whip to stop, but if felt like turning around/using the item again went faster if I stopped using the key.
It's even faster if you use the key to stop and then turn around while still using it, to stop and unlock the door with the same action.
Former player
Is this Vampire's kiss? I don't have the game, so I can't watch the movie, but it's the same game, right?
Former player
yes, just this is (U) while Vampire's Kiss is (E).
This was pretty good. The highlight for me was the clock tower before Death, where the moving platforms allow a lot of good shortcuts. ...but everyone's right that the Death fight looks pretty sloppy. What different kinds of strategies did you attempt to use? It seems like if there were any way to get a boomerang "hovering" on him, it would save a ton of time. Also, if you intend to improve or redo the run sometime, I'd really like to see a "no girls rescued" run like you said. I kind of thought that a rescueless run would be much faster... I was surprised when I watched this. EDIT: I looked over the game's topic, and you seem to have already indicated that he moves away from all hits and is invincible for a bit. I guess that the "hovering" is out of the question.
Watched it through till the end, it's an okay but not perfect run (like nitsuja said). - The fight at Death clock tower.. although I don't know much about the game I do know the castlevania games in general and am sure, that there's got to be a quicker way to beat his first form. Have the other items really been thoroughly tested here? - I absolutely noticed the "key used in the wrong direction"-mistake. If this was done intentionally to turn around more quickly.. I doubt that it was faster than jumping up there regularly. - The fight against Dracula is unpretty. Too much unnecessary jumping around and whipping air. Was it done for luck manipulation? If so, isn't there a more aestetically pleasing way? Sorry Nightcom, I don't mean to put down your work, I just think that it's improvable by several seconds (which you also seem to think, as you want to run the game again). Voting "Meh" on it. Not perfect, but too good to be overlooked. Hope you'll do the perfect run soon and get the props you deserve. ;)
Erklärung der Relativität: "Wenn du deine Nase in meinen Po steckst, haben wir beide eine Nase im Po. Nur ich bin relativ besser dran."
Former player
- The fight against Dracula is unpretty. Too much unnecessary jumping around and whipping air. Was it done for luck manipulation? If so, isn't there a more aestetically pleasing way?
Luck manipulation indeed. I think it looks great and feels great.
What happens if you hit death with the cross when it's returning? Can you pull him towards you?
Not sure about this, the first few levels of Dan were great, but i had the feeling your travelling could go a bit faster at some places. For instance, Dan climbed the stairs very quickly because he used the whipe to cancel the rough landing. You just land rough and don't cancel it out by whipping. I too had the idea Death 1st form could go much faster. I noticed 2 times where your cross only did 1x damage. Have you tried luring him to the middle of the screen and then go into an attacking frenzy? (regardless of that he moves back when hit) Also, i think you should've used crossed against Dracula's first form, while whipping him too. He transports back and forth a LOT so you want to kill this form as quickly as possible. His 2nd form is on the screen the entire time so you can just hack away there. Plus, you had 3 hearts left! You could've at least used those against his first form. Going to vote meh. The first few levels look great, but i had the feeling you rushed your part. I've been waiting a long time for a TAS for this game, but i'm just not sure about this...
http://www.megazpeed.com - THE site for the ultimate MegaMan Zero superplay movies.
I vote No on this simply because of the fact I saw some slip-ups in this movie that could have been avoided. One happened in Stage 2, and I think another might've happened in Stage 5', but I'd have to watch the movie again to be absolutely sure...(I watched this a couple days ago.) Yes, I know Nightcom didn't play Stages 1 through 4, but if he had, he might've improved on Dan's work.
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look. -=( http://jolikmc.tumblr.com )=-
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Voted yes as I think it's good enough to publish. Of course if there are improvements then I hope to see an improved version, but overall this was good enough to impress me.
Former player
Good stuff. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that assrapingly hard Drac battle. Obvious yes.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Crap. My memory is really foggy on this game. I swear stuff should have been able to happen that for some reason couldn't. I remember being able to throw multiple boomerangs and do other stuff on this with Dracula. Is there an emulation problem or is my memory really fricken foggy? Old age sucks. -_-
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Good stuff. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that assrapingly hard Drac battle. Obvious yes.
Ever played Castlevania Bloodlines? No? Compared to that, this final boss is a friggin pushover.
http://www.megazpeed.com - THE site for the ultimate MegaMan Zero superplay movies.
Former player
This game has the easiest Dracula fight ever, (I havn't played past this game though, so I don't know about the newer games.)