Post subject: Hardware Upgrade
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Bisqwit upgraded the Hardware in the system today :) Was a jump from a Dual P3 450 512 MB RAM setup to an X2 3600+ 2GB RAM. That's why there was down time. The site should be more responsive now (until site popularity grows enough to negate the noticable benefits of this upgrade).
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
When you have a lot of people making a lot of requests, the server has to keep the queue somewhere.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1301)
Is this related to the Castlevania: Dracula X submission thread not working, or did MattyXB just sabotage it?
Player (24)
nitsuja wrote:
Is this related to the Castlevania: Dracula X submission thread not working, or did MattyXB just sabotage it?
I have do nothing. I download the movie before the site was down. Then later I watch the movie and the site was down, so I can't vote anymore after watch the movie complete. Now later as the site was up again I vote and try to post why I vote. Then an error was show and nothing was posted. I try it again and got again an error message. I go back, refresh the page and see no post. So I post again the same message. It worked now. Later I saw 2 messages with the same text. So I edit the second one, but this has too edit the first message. I edit it again that it show too the original message and this was it. As I last saw this topic it worked good and show just 2 times my same message. Not sure if I post it 2 times or it was an error as I try it the third time. I have seen another topic where someone post too two times the same message. But I am sorry, when it was my fault. I have not know that I should better not post so earlier after the hardware was finished.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1301)
I was just joking about the sabotage part, no need to apologize... Although maybe that weird double-post appearing was part of the problem.
Player (24)
First I get some messages, that something with e-mail send has not working, when I not wrong. Maybe this help to find the error. I have refresh the browser, that I am sure nothing was posted at all. So I think, that it post 2 times with only one click. And this is maybe the reason why it edit both messages at the same time. Was strange too. And here too a double post, not sure why? But this topic is still working. Castlevania: Dracula X
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Tub
indeed, the site is more responsive now. No wonder with that machine, that's better than my workstation... /me hides in shame ;) thanks to bisqwit for investing time and money in this upgrade!
m00
Emulator Coder
nitsuja wrote:
Blame me, I went to fix the double post issues, and the thread went nuts. But it's probably because of the server change messing up MySQL a bit.
Editor, Active player (296)
Nach wrote:
Blame me, I went to fix the double post issues, and the thread went nuts. But it's probably because of the server change messing up MySQL a bit.
Yeah, I crashed the server a few times without properly shutting down MySQL first. I ran a table repair, should work fine now. Sorry about that.
wow 2gb of ram? what for?
The database runs much faster and with much less strain to the disk when most of it can be cached. And so does the site because it almost entirely depends on the database.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Perhaps the hardware upgrade is somehow related to this error I get when trying to send a private message:
Error wrote:
Could not insert/update private message sent info. DEBUG MODE INSERT INTO privmsgs (privmsgs_type, privmsgs_subject, privmsgs_from_userid, privmsgs_to_userid, privmsgs_date, privmsgs_ip, privmsgs_enable_html, privmsgs_enable_bbcode, privmsgs_enable_smilies, privmsgs_attach_sig) VALUES (1, 'Holy crap I actually found an improvement', 1195, 1500, 1138826044, '18ec8c20', 1, 1, 0, 1) Line : 1293 File : privmsg.php
The message does not send, as far as I can tell. (Either that or I've sent about 10 duplicate messages)
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
JXQ wrote:
Perhaps the hardware upgrade is somehow related to this error I get when trying to send a private message
Yes. It looks like every single DB table went broken in the update and needs to be individually repaired with mysql. privmsg tables fixed now.
Post subject: Re: Hardware Upgrade
Nach wrote:
Bisqwit upgraded the Hardware in the system today :) Was a jump from a Dual P3 450 512 MB RAM setup to an X2 3600+ 2GB RAM.
How much all these costs? Whats the HD Size, 200 TB :) is hardisks available in Terra Bytes?
Radz.
Player (36)
500 GB is the largest I can find. But put those in a RAID 5 and you have your multi terrabyte drive. :)
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Terabyte. Terra is the name of planet Earth. (And of a heroine in FF6.) And the amount of diskspace in the server is quite irrelevant, as long as it's enough. The databases need currently about 1.3 gigabytes in total (there are a few other databases besides the nesvideos-site related ones), the operating system uses some gigabytes and so on. About 10 GB is well enough for the server to work.
Player (36)
I knew that, >.> Honest.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.