Emulator used: FCEU 98.12-blip Aims for fastest time Takes hits to save time Abuses programming errors (clipping) Manipulates luck
Please note: the checksum will not match if you use Ninja Gaiden (U), the rom used by the previous published version. However, I've checked and the run will still play just fine. My version of the rom isn't labeled (I'm still not sure which version it is so I've listed US, which I've tested it with) and I didn't realize it was the wrong one until I was already somewhat far into the run. Luckily it doesn't seem to matter which is used at least on my end. Hopefully there's no problems in this regard.
This run is 276 frames (4.5 seconds) faster than the published version. First let me say that there's no way I'd have been able to make a run this fast without BoltR's previous one as a guide. His run is very good and there are a number of spots where I just copied his technique as closely as possible. However, obviously I made some improvements as well.
The largest one, and the reason I started the run in the first place, is on 3-1. BoltR's method of picking up the fire wheel (used for the boss) is very slow and I was able to improve it substantially. You'll have to watch to see how. This improvement was worth 108 frames. The rest of the improvement comes from a large number of minor optimizations spread throughout the whole game. BoltR chose to do the run by picking up the minimal amount of power needed for the bosses. Though this is kind of a neat way to do it, it also actually costs time. This is because it forces him to use Down+B. As you may know, when carrying Jump & Slash you can press Down+B to swing normally when jumping. However, to do this you have to let off left or right for one frame to get the game to accept the input. This does in fact cost you one frame of lateral movement. This is not true of ordinary swings during jumps, so when you don't have Jump and Slash, or are out of power, you can attack without slowing down. All these lonely frames add up over the course of the game.
I tried to minimize use of Down+B as best I could, though I wasn't able to get rid of every instance of it. Particularly 2-2 and 4-2, where there are enemies chasing from behind, force you to play it a certain way that requires this move. On other levels I either accumulated a lot of power and used Jump and Slash to attack, or I let it run out and sit on zero until just before the boss. It depends how the level shakes out as to which is best.
As a result of this change (and my personal tastes) the run looks very different stylistically, as I kill many more enemies and am a lot more active in general. I think it's still very entertaining to watch.
Notable spots: All of level 3 is spectacular, in my opinion. The improvement in 3-1 really makes it look crazy smooth and 3-2 is very nice too. I also found a more modest improvement on 5-1 and the level overall is pretty nice. I save a lot of time by taking damage on this and on 5-2, and get very low on health. Also, right at the end of 6-2, I use a different way of getting to the door than BoltR did. Surprisingly, this is only worth 7 frames, but it's a new trick. One other oddity: I gain 21 frames over BoltR on 4-3, but I'm actually a second behind him on the game timer. Very strange.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #977: Slotermeyer's NES Ninja Gaiden in 11:14.02
Former player
Voting YES. Very good and entertaining TAS. You're improvments were clever and you did impress me. Good work Slotermeyer!
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Looks good. Nice use of birds to knock you up to higher platforms.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Skilled player (1402)
Also voting yes, run was looking good.
If it still works on the correct ROM, someone should hex edit the checksum in the FCM.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Former player
Improvements to old runs are always an automatic yes.
Active player (278)
Unless they're BAD improvements!
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Seen it; voted Yes to it. I never cease to be amazed at how easy the Ninja Gaiden games look in TASes. It looks like you can just run through it from beginning to end. As someone who has had his ass kicked in all three games, I'm very impressed. Gotta love those two-second boss fights. Between the straightforward side-scrolling gameplay, frame advance, and all that has been learned about these games, I assumed that all three were no longer improvable. Way to go, Slotermeyer!
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Active player (432)
Hooray for a new Ninja Gaiden submission! Just watched your work and I liked every moment of your run. Liked especially the level 3 and how you killed as you said lots of enemies. Great job O.o
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [470] NES Ninja Gaiden by Slotermeyer in 11:14.02
Player (215)
Not that it really matters, but the exact dump this video was done with, according to GoodNES, is Ninja Gaiden (U) [b5].
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Great run. Ninja Gaiden was a fantastic game. This was a fantastic TAS. Put 2 and 2 together? Publication. ^^
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Skilled player (1886)
I just got around watching this now, and I must say, it was really good. Very entertaining, your climbing of the ladders looked awesome, not to mention all the bossfights. :) Great job.
Ambassador, Experienced player (697)
Published before I could vote! But I still wanted to say that this is pretty sweet, great job slotermeyer.
Player (98)
Just an update: Sitting on my harddrive right now is an improved run with a time of 11:07. I'm not going to submit it just yet because I have a couple more ideas for (minor) improvements that I want to try out first. Expect a new submission in the next week or so.
Active player (432)
Slotermeyer wrote:
Just an update: Sitting on my harddrive right now is an improved run with a time of 11:07. I'm not going to submit it just yet because I have a couple more ideas for (minor) improvements that I want to try out first. Expect a new submission in the next week or so.
Excellent to hear Slotermeyer. It must be a glitch you've found because I cannot see where you could optimize your current published run. By the way, do you think it is possible to improve Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3?
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P