Post subject: Jim Power in the Lost Dimension in 3D
Anyone tried this? It's almost impossible to finish, even with an emulator. Let alone speedrunning.
lol, nobody? I'm starting a speedrun of this game now.
Senior Moderator
Leet Tom C wrote:
I'm starting a speedrun of this game now.
Tool-assisted?
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Yeah, Tool-Assisted. I began the first level last night, and I was pretty annoyed that the movie desynced on me. I'll have a look aroung the forums and see if I can find out how to fix this. On the actual game, its pretty much designed not to be speedrunned. Jim pauses slightly when he fires, jumps are slow, and you can't hit a normal enemy with your gun on the way up from the jump.
Senior Moderator
Well, that's not really a problem — for example, Castlevania is pretty much the same.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Former player
Moozooh, haven't seen you on IRC for a while. How are things going?
Former player
If everyone at least finish this game i'll give a yes. I never know someone that finished this game.
Not more working on: DKC3 105% < Needs modified Nitsuja Snes9x+9, with reset recording.
I did, in my test run. There are 6 or 7 levels IIRC. 2 or 3 are sidescrolling shooters. They are fairly easy to do. 2 "birds-eye-view" levels, which are really hard, and will probably fuck up my run a bit. 2 side-scrolling levels in a submarine. I should be done with level 1 soon, and i'll put it on YouTube.
Former player
I just finished playing through this game on ZSNES, and I'd love to see a well done TAS made. The 2 autoscrollers are busy enough that they should be entertaining, despite their length. The second top-down level would be amazing to see done well, because of the speed you can achieve. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this, and I'll definitely help critique any WIPs I see :D
Sorry I haven't been working on this recently. The video keeps desyncing, so it might take a while. BTW Dan, do you remember the order of level types? I think it went scroller, boss. birds-eye view, underwater, boss. But what were the 4th, 5th etc levels? <Edit> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G36VOYQ1E4Q Here is a test run I uploaded to show to my friends. It isn't perfect, and the shots seem to be timed a few frames off sometimes... i'll edit them out when I re-run this.
Senior Moderator
Guybrush wrote:
Moozooh, haven't seen you on IRC for a while. How are things going?
Basically, I was writing two extremely boring term papers for the last ~month, and I promised myself not to return until I finish them (otherwise it would be absolutely impossible for me to finish them before beginning of the next term). That, and I've found myself to be hard drinking a whole lot of yet unseen anime I've got, so that is another reason I'm not doing anything nor show up recently (although I do check forums from time to time). Not sure which of them is a bigger reason for my absence. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I'll return very very soon though.
Warp wrote:
Former player
I believe the level order is: Side scroller + boss Top-down view + boss Auto scroller Side scroller + boss Top-down view + boss Auto scroller Side scroller + final boss I'm not positive on this though. The WIP looked pretty good. The stops are an unfortunate necessity, because the enemies are a lot of hits and you're only one. My only real advice would be to make sure you use the bomb things effectively. I'm not sure if every fireball that gets released can do damage to a single target or not, so that would need to be looked into. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this!
Thanks. Yeah, the fireballs are gonna be hard use well. I remember I need some to take out the cannon thing on one of the ships, or i'm basically dead.
Post subject: Jim Power - The Lost Dimension in 3D
Hi, I think this game *could* be fun to do. It's really hard, but, that's not the point, the level are diversified, and I think we can do something great... Anyway, I work on this a bit... http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/3631/Jim002.smv Should I continue?
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Well, to me it seems interesting so far. Can't promise it will stay that way... I guess that not many people have played it much, so a movie would probably have to rely much on surprising actions to be interesting.
not gonna lie, the way the background scrolls the same direction you are running made me a little "carsick" while watching it. Kind of the same effect playing goldeneye on a huge tv sitting 3 feet away had on me. I also agree with creaothceann's comment about the unfamiliarity with the game amongst the general public. However if you come up with some nice sploits post the wips.
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
scooty wrote:
the way the background scrolls the same direction you are running made me a little "carsick" while watching it.
You can fix that by disabling those layers (2 and 3). ;)
haha didnt consider that, but then you have to feel sorry for people who resort to watching the AVI :P
Editor, Experienced player (882)
There were 2 topics for this game, so I went with the one that had a posted WIP. I experimented with this game last night, and after watching funkdocs SDA run, I noticed that something that makes the game a little bit faster might ruin the run for some people. It's a trick involving holding the charge on smart bombs, which can damage enemies, meaning I can kill them slightly faster to bypass them. Unfortunately it comes with a noise that drowns out the music, and cancels all other sound effects, and it's very annoying. But anyway I did the first few levels. Posting on mediafire, because the userfiles seems to be taking a dump. http://www.mediafire.com/download/2boz8pblrvvbt85/JimPower_test1.bk2
Current thoughts: Hachiemon (J) for GBA.
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
What emulator and ROM did you use? I can't get the movie file to load. EDIT: Jim Power - The Lost Dimension in 3D (USA) [No-Intro set] SHA1:45FBF4429B8B4A806AF31503A0CF968CFFBA3AF1 MD5:15CFCC91489C344D82AFE791A3F17261
Editor, Experienced player (882)
Oh I forgot, using the new version of Bizhawk, 1.8.0.
Current thoughts: Hachiemon (J) for GBA.
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Mmmh, not really enjoyable with that sound, especially considering the nice music... :/ Maybe it'd be feasible if the official encode has that sound effect blocked with a cheat code (or something like that).
Active player (471)