Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is a swordless speed run of the First Quest. Because of this deliberately chosen handicap, it is several minutes longer than the existing record, and is designed to supplement rather than replace it. The movie ends when Link enters Ganon's room in Death Mountain, since there is no known method to defeat him without a sword. This run aims for the fastest possible time, and also takes no damage. The Up+A method is used regularly. The movie was produced using the re-recording version of FCEU (0.98.15).
The most difficult part, by far, in producing this movie was the bomb placement. I'm very satisfied with the way it turned out, though. The rate and precision with which bombs are placed could not be replicated by any human player at normal speed. Many rooms could simply be walked through while dodging the foes. For those that required battles, I used frame-advance to try different methods until I found the one that was most effective and looked best. Link definitely shows off his full arsenal of weaponry (except the sword!) in this movie.

adelikat: Rejecting. Reasons & comment posted in the discussion.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1121: Josh's NES The Legend of Zelda in 36:33.52
I'm only a few minutes in, but I'm going to vote thumbs down and give you some suggestions:
  • Take damage.
  • Manipulate monster spawns.
  • Don't buy the candle where you did! You wasted 234534 screens of walking time to get from the 100 rupees to the candle, then used start+up+a to continue, and then walked proceeded to walk right by a candle shop! What?!
Since I haven't watched the whole movie I don't really know if your path is a good one or not, it appears to be novel at first glance. There is a swordless Zelda thread on these forums, you should check it out.
Hm, the ending's kind of a bummer, I think such a run should pick up the lv3 sword but not use it until Ganon appears.
I'm still not done watching the run, and it's not "uniformly terrible" ... there are some sparks of inventiveness in there. But you make a lot of really obvious mistakes. At least, the mistakes are really obvious to someone that has watched the published Zelda runs and read some of the Zelda threads. You should read all the LoZ threads that exist on the forum, and additionally watch the existing runs.
Another minor thing that's been bothering me is you haven't once managed to continue on the earliest frame possible. The heart should never appear if you do it right.
Former player
Okay, watched it. It was surprisingly entertaining but I saw lots of things gone wrong: 1) No enemy boosts! 2) Why on Earth did you wait for the heart container from the Dodongo when you never take damage? 3) The level 4 and 8 boss fights (Gleeok?) were suboptimal 4) Oftentimes you go so out of the way to get your bombs or rod to hit many enemies simultaneously that in the same amount of time you could already have hit them all separately 5) Are you sure you needed 16 bombs in the end? I think just better manipulation of drops would have saved you from the second addition of bombs. 6) I know the money is extremely hard to plan ahead but you were left with 44 rupees or something like that, so it seems to me that you could've gambled one less time 7) I don't think we really need a swordless run, it's just long.
I think we need a swordless run, but this run is very sloppy and doesn't look like it was planned very carefully. There are just ... so many obvious mistakes :/ .
Skilled player (1402)
I agree, we need a swordless speedrun, but this was a swordless walkthrough. I'm glad someone gave this a try, but I could write a book about the mistakes in this run. Next time, post your progress on the forums, so people can help you a little, and give you tips.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
xebra wrote:
Don't buy the candle where you did! You wasted 234534 screens of walking time to get from the 100 rupees to the candle, then used start+up+a to continue, and then walked proceeded to walk right by a candle shop! What?!
This needs to be underlines bolded and flashing. This oversight costs mega-time. Also I am voting no for the takes no damage. It is painful to watch you stand there and wait for enemies to move out of your way. This is also too unoptimized to be accepted. It's a good start though. Also, I would like to see a good swordless run on the site so I encourage you to try again. Read the information on the forum topic and post a work in progress so you can get some feedback.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!