1 2
6 7
Post subject: Umihara Kawase challenge
Former player
Since I don't think I'll have time to do any full-game runs of this, probably one of the best (yet sadly least-known) games ever made, I'm organising it as a challenge. The game is broken into 49 Fields, numbered 0-57 (9, 13, 19, 27, 32, 39, 44, 53, and 54 don't exist - or at least I have no idea how to get there). Most Fields have multiple exits. The challenge is to find the quickest path to each exit. The game automatically records play, so no rerecording emulator is needed; simply use savestate as usual, then record the level when playing back the recording in-game. I'll submit a preliminary time for Fields 0 and 1 soon..
someone is out there who will like you. take off your mask so they can find you faster. I support the new Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun.
I just got killed by giant tadpole of doom.
I like my "thank you"s in monetary form.
Former player
I saw you at the gamefaqs board of this game. Unfortunatly, I just got usermap axed there for the stupidest reason, so now I can't post anymore :( I'm downloading this now so I'll try it soon. Edit: What is this game? A little school girl going around with a fishing pole(?), shooting it at fish and conveyer belts??? Pretty fun though. I guess I'll try it.
Former player
It is AMAZINGLY GOOD.
someone is out there who will like you. take off your mask so they can find you faster. I support the new Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun.
I've heard a lot about this game, and it sounds brilliant. I guess I'll have to try it. I don't usually play games before I see them being played but this will have to be the exception I guess.
Former player
heh this is like an insane bionic commando- I'd love to see just a couple levels worth of movies to see how impressive it can look done by somebody else.
Former player
That tadpole boss can eat me. How do you get by him? X.x I've tried: Staying on land and picking off the frogspawn when they pop out. Grappling underneath the end of the platform to the left - ends with my getting knocked off by frogs. Swinging over and getting that pink...whateverthehellitis way to the right, underneath the platforms. No idea how to get back up top afterwards, though. It's a fun game - strangely so, since it's rather frustrating at times. It'd certainly be interesting to see the acrobatics a run would include.
Former player
Kill the tadpole by forcing him off the bottom of the screen. The easiest way is to alternately hang over the edge of a platform and swing around underneath.
http://members.rogers.com/nrgspoon/umikawatadpole.smv Short video up to the completion of the tadpole stage. All rerecords are from the start of levels. Route taken: 0,1,2,10,11,8
Player (67)
This game would be so much better if it didn't have mutated fish randomly teleporting right into my face! Gaah! Edit: actually, forget about the fish, the octopuses are way more annoying.
Former player
NrgSpoon wrote:
http://members.rogers.com/nrgspoon/umikawatadpole.smv
What version are ya using? Trying with Umihara Kawase (J).smc, it desynchs after the big swing to the right side of the stage. Nice move, that.
Former player
same
Er heh. Too bad that. My rom was Umihara Kawase (J) [T+Eng2[1].1_ROMHackWorkshop] It's the only version the site I commonly go to had. (ergh, grammar seems weird)
The replay worked fine for me. The CRC32 for the ROM I'm using is: 393CCCA2. Go to File->ROM Information to see the CRC32 of your ROM.
The CRC of mine is C5C9FB16 This is within a zip though so i dunno if it reads it right or what.
NrgSpoon wrote:
The CRC of mine is C5C9FB16 This is within a zip though so i dunno if it reads it right or what.
You said yours was a rom hack, so it's not surprising that the CRC32 differs. The ROM I'm using is called Umihara Kawase (J).smc
Former player
NrgSpoon wrote:
Er heh. Too bad that. My rom was Umihara Kawase (J) [T+Eng2[1].1_ROMHackWorkshop]
Hm. Still desynchs. Oh well, I can wait for a full run to watch. @@ Edit: Or not. It messed up twice, then ran perfectly on the third try. O.o;
BombAHead wrote:
Hm. Still desynchs. Oh well, I can wait for a full run to watch. @@
Could you post the CRC32? This might be one of those games that falls prey to the Snes9x sound bug. Even if the ROMs are the same, it could still desync. Here are the sound settings that I use; it might help: Playback rate: 32khz Buffer length: 40ms 16-bit sound Stereo Interpolated (everything else off)
Former player
For individual level runs, all you need to do is make a savestate. The game records play for you.
Former player
I nominate boco to do just a couple levels, heh. There really are so many routes you can take- here's my intended best route on the first level, I screw up in a couple places but I just wanted to do a quick 5 minute job. http://www.thezorz.com/agile/umihara.smv edit: reupload it, it's much better now and 3 stages in. what a great game, heh. edit2: link fixed
Former player
Why didn't I know about this game earlier? For some reason, I can't stop playing it. :p Very cool movie by the way. I was trying that swinging under the level stuff yesterday but I couldn't get it to work.
Former player
www.thezorz.com/agile/umihara2.smv 3-5: going through all levels, rather than beating the game as fast as possible. So it's not really a time attack, since I just want to have fun and have a cool looking video at the same time. I don't know if it can even be beaten. How might one resume a recording where they left off?
Former player
Here's a map of the game.
 00-01-02-03-04-05-06-07->a
        |
        |       a*
        |-10-11-08-14-15-16-17-20-21-22->b
              |        |     |        |
              |        |     |        |
              |        |     |        |->c
              |        |     |
              |        |     |          c
              |        |     |-30-33-37-38-41->d
              |        |        |
              |        |        |
              |        |        |->e
              |        |
              |        |-40-35!
              |
              |     *          f*
              |-12-36-45-50-51-56-57!
              |     |
              |     | g
              |     |-52-55!
              |
              |    b      * h
              |-18-23-24-25-26-31-46-47-48->f
                       |  |
                       |  |
                       |  |-29-34-35!
                       |
                       | d     e*
                       |-42-43-49->g
                          |
                          |
                          |->h
Letters put you in the appropriate field. Asterisks (*) are boss fields. Bangs (!) are ending fields. And the fields that aren't on the map that I know how to access (like 28) have time requirements, not exit requirements. Remember that you can use the lure in interesting ways by shifting your weight and reeling it in or out at key moments. It's possible, for example, to "rocket jump" by grappling the ground and running, then turning and jumping at the correct frame to allow the elasticity to shoot you horizontally across the level.
Former player
thanks a lot. so then, is 35 really the only ending the game has? edit: oh, and 55 and 57. but there is some sort of ending at any of these stages? edit: I actually used a variation of that rocket jump in one of the levels. Another thing I found is that the length of the rope changes according to your movement, it won't reach the same point if you're moving. So in a way, you can actually extend it vertically by jumping at the right time.
Former player
So the fastest route to each ending is: 00,01,02,10,11,12,36,52,55 00,01,02,10,11,14,15,40,35 00,01,02,10,11,12,36,45,50,51,56,57 Are the two 35s that you have listed the same one? If not, the shortest route to the other one is: 00,01,02,10,11,18,23,24,25,29,34,35 *is at cybercafe*
1 2
6 7