Submission Text Full Submission Page
Cat chases mouse, mouse throws blue balls at cat.
  • Used FCEU 98.15
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Genre: Platform
Jerry is running, jumping and bubblegum bubbling through 10 levels and 5 catfights!
hope you enjoy

adelikat: Rejecting due to mediocre audience response. There were mixed opinions. Some disapproved of the game choice. Some approved the game choice but found the gameplay too suboptimal. If the author works on an improved version, I suggest posting a few wips in the forum to see what kind of response it gets.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1361: macK's NES Tom & Jerry in 10:24.13
First impressions are as follows: Choice of Game: Now, some sections of the game get a little repetitive (most of the fights vs. Tom), but the fairly short length of the movie and the different items on some levels severely reduces the chance of the game getting entirely boring. Play Style: There were a few wait spots that made me cringe - most notably one in 4-2 that I'm pretty sure was a forced wait of 3-4 seconds, although it felt like 20 - but as far as I can tell, you have a pretty good grasp of TAS technique. Although you might want to check and make sure your chosen 'damage pass' spots save the most time - I'm specifically pointing at that one wait I mentioned. Had this spot been pointed out and explained in the run's comments, I may not have said anything. Overall, however, I'm voting 'yes'.
Active player (441)
Voting no because the run is boring and the sections where the game lags are laughable. Sorry mate, but keep on trucking!
My current project: Something mysterious (oooooh!) My username is all lower-case letters. Please get it right :(
Former player
Theenglishman: The game doesn't lag, the spider webs just slow you down. This was one of my favorite games when I was a kid and I actually started to make a TAS of this in the Famtasia era. I can see you've put some thought into using the bubble gum, which is nice. However, I think your movements are not very well optimized. It's hard to explain but some parts just look pretty sloppy to me. I think this can be improved, therefore voting no.
I didn't find this run boring, but I found it very plain. At least the bubble was there to provide a bit of variety in playing technique. I don't think the Tom fights were boring because except for the last one they were over in 5 seconds or less. It takes me about 15 seconds to get bored... which means that even if pirate_sephiroth's HoD run was completely terrible I'd watch most of it. In level 1-2, you grab a large cheese that restores two hearts while you still have two hearts remaining. It looks to me like you could have taken another hit (maybe at the snail immediately in front of it?) and perhaps saved a small amount of time in doing so. In level 4-1... near the very end of the level, you jump off a table and instead of holding right immediately you sway left first and land on some black can or something. It looks like a small waste of time. Not voting yet.
Former player
Awesome. finally someone TAS this :) But it's little sloppy. Make better version, then I vote ;)
Current Projects: ???
Former player
FreshFeeling wrote:
In level 4-1... near the very end of the level, you jump off a table and instead of holding right immediately you sway left first and land on some black can or something. It looks like a small waste of time.
I'm not sure if this is the part you are referring to, but at least once macK does something like this to prevent Jerry from taking damage from a high fall. If Jerry jumps down from a platform that's too high, he goes into a "stunned" animation for a while and loses one heart.
Player (209)
Thank you for finally doing a TAS for this game! The run uses smart shortcuts and looks pretty well optimized overall. I especially liked the BIG shortcut in 3/1. I didn't see any major mistakes, though this run can sure be improved by a couple of seconds. The game choice was a good one and it's a quick and entertaining playthrough, so overall I still vote YES for this 1st TAS version. Good job!
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun
Player (88)
I agree with everything Saturn just stated, so one more yes vote from me.
They're off to find the hero of the day...
This game looks and sounds like a C64 game. So much so that I forgot I was watching an NES game for a moment. You played well, but I found the game itself kind of boring. I'll have to go *meh* on this one.
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
Lots of differing opinions so far. Mine? I thought it was a good game choice. Fast paced, good graphics, alright music, no complaints there. The run was well done and showed skill, but it definitely seems improvable. I haven't played the game myself, though, so I have some questions. Like, you were slowed down by being awarded a cheese bonus between levels at one point, but I don't remember seeing it again. What causes that? Was that only for those little spherical cheese bits and not the triangles? Because otherwise you could've grabbed at least one more triangle I think so that you could get one more time. Improvements, yeah, you can take damage at full speed in the spider webs, so you should try to make sure you do that as often as possible, manipulating luck (if possible) when able. If it's possible to manipulate the last boss's head to appear in the left hole as much as possible, that could save some frames I'm sure. I'd have to play the game myself to get other ideas. But no, this was not a bad run at all. There's nothing wrong with a short movie that does a good job on a good game! I don't know whether to vote yes or wait for an improvement, though.
Former player
FreshFeeling: the big cheese only restores 1 heart and in level 4-1 its like Kyrsimys says to aviod fall damage. Twisted Eye: cheese awarded comes at level 1-2 because thats the only level you cant avoid to take small cheeses.
Active player (432)
Voted Meh. Nice effort, it looked well played and all but the game isnt so good in my opinion.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
The game bored me, seemed a bit too straight foward too me. The waits looked bad (though probably not avoidable). In the first tom fight, I am pretty sure one of your shots didn't do damage. This run looks like it is improvable but not drastically so. I give the game a D+ I give your run a C+ but overall I am voting no.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
macK wrote:
FreshFeeling: the big cheese only restores 1 heart and in level 4-1 its like Kyrsimys says to aviod fall damage.
Thanks. I had forgotten about the fall damage. I'll vote yes although improvements would be nice.
I think this game is definitely TASable, and your run wasn't too bad, but overall I'm going to have to vote no. Damage manipulation definitely looks improvable and things don't always look frame perfect.
Joe
A decent run, and the game seems suitable enough, but there seems to be a lack of polisj in some areas. Meh