Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is an improvement to the currently published 1-player pacifist Contra run. Like the previous run, no enemy is killed that is not required to completing the game (boss fights, mini-bosses and some spiked walls in level 7).
This run is 1559 frames (26 sec) faster than the current published run measured by game play itself. The Japan version allows for skipping of in between level cutscenes which accounts for an additional 1667 frames (for a total of 3226 frames).

ROM Choice

As stated above the lack of in between level black screens makes the run much faster, in addition it means that it is more action packed. Also the graphics are much improved in the Japanese version vs the USA version, making it a win win situation

Weapon Choice

The original run only upgrades R. I think that getting the spread gun does not take away from the pacifist feel of the run. On the contrary it makes it more impressive in some circumstances because it is much harder to avoid killing enemies. I wait until level 5 to get the spread gun because it would have slowed down level's 2 & 4 considerably.

Improvements

1) Much of the savings came from better Boss fights, especially from getting the spread gun and using it optimally to get a single stream of bullets.
2) The "waterfall glitch" was used in many places of level 3 to save considerable time. This is a glitch that allows you to jump much higher than normal and land on ledges that are normally impossible to jump to
3) Luck manipulation. You will see several stray shots fired throughout the run. These are to manipulate the enemies to be in more optimal locations.
4) Many minor optimizations over the course of the movie.

Summary

• Uses FCEU .16
  • Pacifist/does not kill enemies
  • Aims for fastest time (when not interfering with the pacifist goal)
  • Manipulates Luck
  • Abuses Programming errors in the game
  • Takes death to save time?
You will notice that I die at the end of the movie this is to a) save input time (don't want to continue recording past the destruction of the final boss), b) It seems fitting that the pacifist hero will sacrifice himself after completing his mission :)
Also, this movie obsoletes a famtasia run.

Truncated: I have no idea why GoodNES lables this ROM as "Gryzor (J)", the Japanese name of the game is also Contra (or Kontora). I suggest we keep the ROM name as Gryzor so people can find it, but publish it under the name of Contra like the previous movies.
Speaking of which, accepting this submission! :)

adelikat: Cancelling due to not meeting the pacifist goals.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1368: adelikat's NES Contra in 09:39.57
Morrison
He/Him
Former player
sweet. gotta check this out. how many frames did you save over my first 2 levels? Edit: Looks pretty solid to me. I was a little disappointed with use of the spread gun, but it speeds up the boss fights, so meh. I think the J rom was a good choice. More envirionment animation (level 8 looks really trippy). Got my vote.
twitch.tv/Retrogaming2084
Senior Moderator
Very nice. And an awesome improvement to boot.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Player (29)
Is this the robot-version Contra?
"The way to move out of judgment is to move into gratitude." — Neale Donald Walsch DannyLilithborne on IRC
Experienced player (612)
I'm not the biggest fan of pacifist runs (I don't really know why, maybe it's the lack of action, who knows?) but I'd like to reassure you that I was well entertained and impressed. Good job on obseleting yet another Famtasia run. Yes vote, of course.
Shingen
He/Him
Dasrik wrote:
Is this the robot-version Contra?
Nope, you're thinking of Probotector, the UK (European?) version.
Player (88)
Good run, improves upon the exsisting one nicely. I do find pacifist runs to be a little boring though, but theres not much you could do about that. This gets a yes vote from me. I am looking forward to your 2player run, that one should have lots of action. Any estimate for when it will be done?
They're off to find the hero of the day...
Player (51)
I was so ready to vote no if you didn't do the waterfall jump trick. I'm very happy to see that this was utilized! A few questions/comments: -Why the wasted shots in Hangar? I know some of the offscreen shots were wasted to manipulate the spread spamming thing, but some of them seemed worthless (like around 28400, for instance). -It's not necessary to kill the tanks in Snowfield... if you die. Destroying the tanks makes it not seem pacifist, since you're killing stuff that's avoidable. Dying is pretty ugly, but it's not really "no death" since you die at the end anyway. It seems like something needs to give (like not dying at all, and distinguishing that this is a no death run, or redoing Snowfield and bypassing the tanks). -How does the waterfall thing work? I've tried to duplicate it many times and could never get it to work consistently.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
VANDAL wrote:
I'm not the biggest fan of pacifist runs
Well, me neither. But in the case of contra it isn't a terrible idea and doing this run helped me learn a lot that will be used in my eventual 2-player TAS. The ETA on the 2p run is still awhile from now. I have discovered things that will require me to redo the entire run. Also, with dual spread guns, it will take a lot of work to optimize. Morrison: I saved about 2 frames on level 1 & about 30ish on level 2. Those levels were pretty solid in your wip :)
tmont wrote:
-Why the wasted shots in Hangar? I know some of the offscreen shots were wasted to manipulate the spread spamming thing, but some of them seemed worthless (like around 28400, for instance).
Like I state in the submission text, those shots are to manipulate where the enemies will appear
-It's not necessary to kill the tanks in Snowfield... if you die. Destroying the tanks makes it not seem pacifist, since you're killing stuff that's avoidable. Dying is pretty ugly, but it's not really "no death" since you die at the end anyway. It seems like something needs to give (like not dying at all, and distinguishing that this is a no death run, or redoing Snowfield and bypassing the tanks).
Gross. Not sure what to think about that. I guess I could just die and move past them :/ I'd probably rather just redo the end and add a few frames to avoid the death and call it a no-death run. Well, I don't like that option either. Why did you have to go and complicate things? ;p
-How does the waterfall thing work? I've tried to duplicate it many times and could never get it to work
I don't really know exactly how/why it works but to get it to work you must jump left on the PREVIOUS jump and at the right frame push right. If done right the next jump will be succesful so long as you jump to the right to land on the platform. Often there is no "magic" frame to push right that will work and you will have to redo the jump before the previous jump. That probably sounded like nonsense but it is my best attempt at explaining the damn thing :p
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Yay for boo for famtasia!
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Yes. I'm seconding the love for the Jap rom choice. The background animation in levels five and eight were really cool. Why would they be left out of the US release? The NES and Famicom were essentially the same hardware, right?
This guy are sick.
Player (51)
adelikat wrote:
Gross. Not sure what to think about that. I guess I could just die and move past them :/ I'd probably rather just redo the end and add a few frames to avoid the death and call it a no-death run. Well, I don't like that option either. Why did you have to go and complicate things? ;p
Sorry. :)
That probably sounded like nonsense but it is my best attempt at explaining the damn thing :p
That nonsense you just spouted is probably the reason why I never figured it out myself. I wonder if it's consistently duplicatable on a console... Thanks for the answers. Oh, and the run's good and stuff.
Skilled player (1885)
Good job. :) Entertaining run, and good improvement over the current one. Easy Yes vote. Do you think you'll be attempting to obsolete Genisto's run, someday in future?
Yes vote since it obsoletes the famtasia run, despite the tank destruction.
adelikat
He/Him
For the record, the previous run destroys those tanks as well.
In level 7 it looked like you hit a sildier when you destroyed the last spiked wall...
adelikat
He/Him
It does seems that way but watch at slow speed. The spiked wall comes up and kills him. A few frames later I shoot the wall. Perhaps that is a gray area since I manipulated it so that the enemy would be killed by the wall. But I consider that the guy committed suicide.
Former player
Manslaughter dude!
Working on: Command and Conquer PSX Nod Campaign
Morrison
He/Him
Former player
adelikat wrote:
I saved about... 30ish on level 2.
o_O nice. I'm curious as to how you saved them!
twitch.tv/Retrogaming2084
Player (51)
adelikat wrote:
For the record, the previous run destroys those tanks as well.
I don't think that's a good enough reason to warrant not avoiding them. Other runs have been published (like the "100%" Kid Icarus run) that didn't seem to completely accomplish their goals, and I think the previous run suffered from the same problem (probably because no one thought about trying to avoid the tanks). Since this run seems to have gotten accepted without resolving this issue, I'm voting no. The run was entertaining and well-optimized, but this seems like a rather glaring error if this is labeled as a "Pacifist" run (nothing personal). For the record, for a run labeled as pacifist, I'd like to see something clever and unexpected like killing yourself to avoid killing others. The ultimate sacrifice for the true pacifist. :)
adelikat
He/Him
I tested the tank death and it costs only about 75 frames per death. Though it will also cost some time on the lv5 boss and possibly lv6 boss due to not having a spread gun. After all these considerations, I now think I should die and avoid killing the tanks. 1) It is more in line with the goals of the run 2) It is creative and unexpected. 3) It is the "ultimate sacrifice" (dying rather than kill something) So I am cancelling and redoing. The new run will probably be 4-8sec longer than this. (BTW, I am not excited about the idea of redoing a run to make it LONGER :P)
Player (51)
Cool. Sorry for casting doubt on your run. :)
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, bitter!