Karate Kid beaten 94 frames (1 second) faster. Improved in some area, and some frames loss in horrible luck I been having with this game :| The gameplay is played differently so some may like and some may not like, it's up to judge.
  • Emulator used: FCEU 0.98.16
  • No damage taken, No death
  • Aim for fastest time
It just an karate game where you use punch and kick to knock enemies out. The "C" is crane kick, it let the character to hit enemy twice and hit harder than normal kick. The "D" is drum punch, which I never get to use since the game doesn't start with any drum punch amount.
The published run is quite old so I thought I should give it a try. I managed to improve some frames here and there, then lost some frames here and there because it's difficult to deal with randomness how enemies show up and their actions. I had to jump up or down, taking a minor detour route to change that. Noticeable improvement would be where I jump on stair quickly, but hey, 94 frames faster ;) The play is pretty different, so to me it looks entertaining but it's up to the viewers.
This game can be improved upon, but I'm not going to run this game again.
Enjoy the movie.

adelikat: Accepting as an improvement of the published run.

adelikat: Processing

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1389: ventuz's NES The Karate Kid in 03:21.62
Former player
I'd like to ask, did you save any time on those tournament fights?
ventuz
He/Him
Player (123)
yes, 17 frames in tournament.
Former player
ventuz wrote:
yes, 17 frames in tournament.
IIRC, it's possible to save more. I'll post an .fcm as soon as I get one done.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
I liked what I saw. It is a solid improvement. Voting yes.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Player (70)
very solid, makes the game almost look playable ..almost yesvote
Player (80)
The playing was good, but the game wasn't very special.
ideamagnate| .seen aqfaq <nothing happens> DK64_MASTER| .seen nesvideoagent * DK64_MASTER slaps forehead
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [768] NES The Karate Kid by ventuz in 03:21.62
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
The submission says this is 94 frames faster, but the two movies are only 30some frames apart. Is this one of those "end the movie at a different spot" situations, or is it just a typo? Anywho, I just watched this, and it was meh. The goofy air speeds make it look incredibly unoptimized even though it most likely can't be improved by all that much.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Big Bump, I agree with JXQ that its most likely unoptimized, although I understand the need for avoiding bonuses and the coping with the wind stages. I actually got familar with the game and completed it before watching, the biggest improvement would be from forward damage boosts, since they're certainly very excessive, more so than Castlevania. Although I will admit that there probally isn't that much room for any obvious significant improvements. I voted Meh to this one