Circus Charlie TAS by Randil

This is a mere 1 frame improvement over the Phil and Genisto's TAS. This run also managed to get 980 more points.

Technical information:

• Emulator used: FCE Ultra 0.98.16
  • Aims for fastest time.
  • Manipulates luck.
  • Genre: Platform.

Game description:

Circus Charlie is a very simple game with 5 levels to beat. You beat a level by moving forward, avoiding obstacles and objects in your way, and in the end jump up on the pedestal. To put it simple: just watch this run and you'll understand the game.

General comments:

• Level times: 3410, 3560 , 3750 , 3890 , 4270.
  • On level 3, each jump you make wastes 1 frame. Because of this, I avoid jumping as much as I can on this level.
  • When this movie ends, you will be taken to "level 6". This is just level 1 again, so there's no need to play that level. The game will keep looping like this, therefor this run, just like all the ones before this, only plays the first 5 levels.
  • Charlie's eyes are actually etheral - look closely and you'll see that you can see straight through them!

Luck manipulation:

This run manipulates luck in the following places:
  • At the start-menu: by pressing start at a specific frame, the bonus-timer starts counting down a little later than usual. This affects placement of fire-rings.
  • At the end of level 1: I go back and forth for a few frames, to get the last fire ring in an optimal position, making it possible to first jump through it, and then jump up on the pedestal.
  • Throughout level 3: You can affect where the next ball will appear by smashing the ball you stand on into the next ball. By doing this, the next ball will appear closer to you.
  • Level 5: By falling down on the trampolines, you can affect the ropes' positions.

The making of the run:

Most of this run was done in frame advance; both to play more accurately (to save time), and also to make jumps as late, or soon, as possible, for entertainment only. When I first made this movie, I didn't know about the select-trick on the start menu, so I edited this movie (using the current run) to start sooner using the select-trick.
Level 5 is the hardest level to optimize, I think. I didn't find anything to improve in that level, so it's played exactly like the current run. The other levels are played pretty much like the current run, with some differences in jumps.
I'm sure that this run can't be improved further, not even by 1 frame. Perhaps someone proves me wrong someday, but as far as I know, this run is frame perfect.

Thanks to:

My deepest thanks and respect goes to Phil and Genisto for making such an optimized run with Famtasia. Even when I have tools like frame advance and Memory Viewer, I was only able to improve this by 1 frame. Most of the tactics and ways to manipulate luck comes from their movie. So their amazing movie deserves to be mentioned here.

Suggested description:

Circus Charlie is a simple game that most people probably know from pirate multigame carts. The first stages are easy for anyone even on real NES, but stage 3 is already quite challenging.
This movie plays "1 player game A" (easy).
Stage times: 3410, 3560 , 3750 , 3890 , 4270
This run is 1 frame faster than the previous run, due to one less jump one level 3. It also gets 980 more points than the previous run. The author would like to aknowledge Phil and Genisto for making the previous movie, and for the tactics and tricks they found.

Suggested screenshot:

Enjoy this highly optimized run!

Truncated: From the submission thread:
JXQ: I actually am wondering what's the policy on an improved submission of a game that sucks.
Since game cannot be unpublished (at least not for the time being), I think the standard is (or should be) that it's better to have a faster run of a bad game than leaving the slower run up. This has happened before, and it has happend before with Circus Charlie. This applies even when the difference is minor. Thus, accepting.
adelikat: Processing (and agreed with Truncated)

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1415: Randil's NES Circus Charlie in 03:24.35
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
ooh yeah. Well I already watched it, so I will be the first yes vote.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
After some discussion with adelikat and Fabian, I actually am wondering what's the policy on an improved submission of a game that sucks. It's never officially addressed on the Rules pages, but it seems to be a common thought that a run in this position is to be automatically accepted. Me wonders why a run of this game was ever published in the first place.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Senior Moderator
The first run to be obsoleted by only one frame, right? Here goes the yes vote (and my deepest respect to Ph&G for making such an inhumanly optimized run back in famtasia days).
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
This is a mere 1 frame improvement over the Phil and Genisto's TAS.
When I follow that link, the time there says 03:23.68. Can anyone explain me how 03:24.35 is 1 frame faster?
adelikat
He/Him
Hate to burst your bubble moozooh.
Skilled player (1885)
Wouter Jansen wrote:
This is a mere 1 frame improvement over the Phil and Genisto's TAS.
When I follow that link, the time there says 03:23.68. Can anyone explain me how 03:24.35 is 1 frame faster?
Hmm... It seems that it's something wrong with the published run's fcm-file. Although FCEU says that the fcm is 12161 frames long, it's actually 12262 frames long. Weird...
adelikat
He/Him
Randil's frame count: 12261 Phil & G's recent publication: 12161 Explain. I assume you didn't end input as early. That should probably be fixed.
Skilled player (1885)
Allright, I've looked into this matter closely. It is indeed FCEU that timed the current run wrong. If you watch the current with frame display on, you'll see that it is indeed 12262 frames long, making this submission 1 frame faster.
adelikat
He/Him
O_o, that's weird.
Senior Moderator
adelikat wrote:
Hate to burst your bubble moozooh.
Huh? Arc's FCM: 4690 frames. Phil's FCM: 4667 frames. Doesn't look like one frame to me, unless the input termination point is that much different.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
adelikat
He/Him
Phil's submission text wrote:
Veni, vidi, vici. This movie is 1 frame faster than Arc's latest submission for a total of 4667 frames. Normally, it should be 2 frames faster since I did 1 frame faster at stage 2 but due to some stupid 11 frames rule it cancels that advance.
It was a 1 frame improvement to the previously submitted run (that wasn't yet published).
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Randil wrote:
Allright, I've looked into this matter closely. It is indeed FCEU that timed the current run wrong. If you watch the current with frame display on, you'll see that it is indeed 12262 frames long, making this submission 1 frame faster.
So add "exploitable timing" to the list of problems of the FCM format. Sweet!
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Senior Moderator
Ah, I see. Ok, the first published run to be obsoleted by only one frame then. :P
Warp wrote:
Skilled player (1885)
I'm guessing that FCEU screwed up the timing because the published run was hex-edited. But that's only a guess. I've never encountered this problem before.
adelikat
He/Him
You seem to be right. The frame count on phil & g's .fmv file was 12291. I have never seen that before, weird.
Experienced player (612)
Perfection lies here in yet another movie of another game. Yes vote and congratulations.
Active player (432)
So sorry Randil, I have to vote no because I really didnt feel this run was entertaining (neither was Phil&Genistos or Arcs). Doesnt feel good voting no for the first time of a run made by you :(
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Skilled player (1885)
AngerFist wrote:
So sorry Randil, I have to vote no because I really didnt feel this run was entertaining (neither was Phil&Genistos or Arcs). Doesnt feel good voting no for the first time of a run made by you :(
Hey, don't worry about it. :) I can understand it if you didn't like watching this movie, it's not that much of a great game. But on the other hand, it's beats an existing run. As JXQ stated above, if this game didn't have a run in the first place, I'm not so sure that this run is entertaining enough to get published.
Emulator Coder, Former player
voting meh since it wasn't really that entertaining, but it does beat an existing run. Was on the fence if I should vote at all, but clicking a button isn't all that difficult so there you have it :P
Player (104)
I don't even think I'm going to watch a movie that improves the existing run by one frame...look at all the crap I had to go through improving 19 frames on a run. What makes this one different, anyway? I should just vote no automatically..but since I'm not going to watch it, I'm not going to vote, sorry. :(
Soft Blue Dragon
Post subject: Warp mode initiated
Senior Moderator
DonamerDragon wrote:
I don't even think I'm going to watch a movie that improves the existing run by one frame...look at all the crap I had to go through improving 19 frames on a run. What makes this one different, anyway? I should just vote no automatically..but since I'm not going to watch it, I'm not going to vote, sorry. :(
This is something I don't understand, but honestly want to. I was going to ask in IRC, but since you already left, I'll ask here. First, why would you have to be sorry? As far as I see it, this site in its general idea is not about such emotions, and not about going through crap. It's about entertainment, about perfection. (…Well, since there's no real entertainment in this particular case, anyway, it's still about the perfection. Not that it really matters, though.) In either case, why would you have to vote no, let alone automatically? I mean, I know this movie isn't interesting per se (and I would have voted no on it myself, be this a first submission of Circus Charlie), but what is already published can not be unpublished (at least now), and, what's more important, this run still is one step closer to perfection. This actually isn't one guy taking place of another, this is one guy adding his share of a contribution to a common goal, which is: making the movie closer to perfection. If somebody doesn't understand that, or feels bad about that, and thus makes you go through crap, you don't have to be sorry, and you don't have to waste your nerves on that, since it's not your problem to begin with. Besides, voting no on a submission that technically belongs to the same category of "frame contributions" as your SMB2 run? I don't get it.
Warp wrote:
Post subject: Re: Warp mode initiated
Player (104)
moozooh wrote:
This is something I don't understand, but honestly want to. I was going to ask in IRC, but since you already left, I'll ask here. First, why would you have to be sorry? As far as I see it, this site in its general idea is not about such emotions, and not about going through crap. It's about entertainment, about perfection. (…Well, since there's no real entertainment in this particular case, anyway, it's still about the perfection. Not that it really matters, though.) I don't need to say anything here you made my point for me. In either case, why would you have to vote no, let alone automatically? I mean, I know this movie isn't interesting per se (and I would have voted no on it myself, be this a first submission of Circus Charlie), but what is already published can not be unpublished (at least now), and, what's more important, this run still is one step closer to perfection. This actually isn't one guy taking place of another, this is one guy adding his share of a contribution to a common goal, which is: making the movie closer to perfection. If somebody doesn't understand that, or feels bad about that, and thus makes you go through crap, you don't have to be sorry, and you don't have to waste your nerves on that, since it's not your problem to begin with. for 1/60th of a second? that's almost shameful, I think we should give Phil and Genisto the record for the sake of having used Famtasia, that alone is a worthy accomplishment...for 1/60th of a second. Don't you remember when POM's SMB got beat by one frame and no one would allow it? Why is this different? Besides, voting no on a submission that technically belongs to the same category of "frame contributions" as your SMB2 run? I don't get it. That I admit fault for, I'm done trying to beat games for such small amounts of time. I won't even watch runs anymore unless there is a whole new trick that saves time. something I can see...shoot even if dehacked put both movies side by side no one would be able to see 1 frame shift...i put a lot of thought into what I said and i meant it...outside of this being an incredably boring game to watch to begin with.
[/i]
Soft Blue Dragon
Skilled player (1885)
I don't know if this matters much, but even though this movie is only 1 frame faster, in this movie, I try to do jumps more impressive, and be as close to dying as possible. So if you watch this side by side with the P&G run, you will see that they're somewhat different. I know that this game is boring to watch. It's not that fun playing normally either. But this is also a competitive game, and as Moozoh said, I knew how to improve level 3 in this optimized game, so that's why I submitted this. I was pretty hesitant to submitting this in the first place, but since experienced TASers like adelikat and JXQ said that I should go for it, and after some consideration myself, I decided to submit this movie. I'll also add a part on the author's comments where I mention P&G accomplishment on this run on Famtasia. It's absolutely worthty to be mentioned. I don't know if this movie is publishing material. But it's short, and it shouldn't take too long to encode, I think. If it doesn't get published, at least it could perhaps have a link to it in the description. I don't know if this clears anything up, but I wanted to throw it out here. :)
I think it's worth it, if just because there have been three or four (that I know) unsuccessful attempts to improve Phil's famtasia run, which just shows how difficult it was to beat. I also usually enjoy these kind of simple&short runs, but I won't vote until I watch it.
No.