Submission Text Full Submission Page
Here's an improved version of the Zelda 2 'glitched' run. I would describe the process of making this movie as 'tedious'. I tried pretty much everything I could think of in pretty much every room to get Link's movement just right. Hopefully it's as good as possible.
First off, I started this run because I noticed a few small things in the published movie. I decided to take a closer look, and the small things kept adding up.
I didn't want to make Gigafrost's run plus small improvements, but all of my ideas for route changes didn't work out, so that's kind of how it is.
So yeah, big ups to Gigafrost for all of his work and advice. There is no way on earth I would have figured out how to get through the great palace on my own. By extension, ups to Blitzag & Genisto for their initial work.
I still do not fully understand the healer glitch. As soon as I think I get what it's doing, it does something completely unexpected somewhere else. This is primarily why none of my route ideas worked.
On to the improvements: From the start of the game through the end of the jump cave, 50 frames are saved over the published run. Most of that (I've lost my earliest notes) are from a better overworld getting the trophy, and using jump in the cave. 2 frames are gained from exiting the palace to the left, and one or two frames are gained in a few other places from better movement.
Because of the change in timing of the two runs, the overworld between the jump cave and palace 2 was a nightmare. It seems like I worked on this sequence forever. I wound up losing 13 frames against the published run and I happen to think that's pretty good considering how unfriendly it was.
I gain 30 frames in palace 2. 10 frames are from passing through the first door better. 20 frames are from using a key on the second door. A few frames are lost getting the key and a few frames are gained from better movement.
Nothing much happens until I use jump to get downstab. I get to the door 8 frames faster, make the teacher appear 10 frames faster, and gain a few frames here and there from better movement.
From the start of the hammer run to getting the hammer, 5 frames are saved from small optimizations in various caves. 35 frames are gained by dying faster. It is possible to get the hammer a bit quicker, but the axe isn't as convenient and the 35 frames are lost.
The great palace was a lot more complicated to make than it looked from the start. My notes are literally just a list of room numbers and frame counts for this level (made sense as I was playing, but useless now). 73 frames are saved overall from optimizations throughout the palace and 10 frames are saved on Shadow Link.
copypasta:
  • Uses death as shortcut
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Uses a game restart sequence
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Manipulates luck
  • Genre: Adventure
I'll be happy to answer any questions the best I can. Enjoy the run.

adelikat: Very nice. Accepting for publication as improvement to the existing run.
Bisqwit: Processing...
Inzult: Canceled at the last second! I tested an idea for one of the later rooms in the great palace, and it worked out. As such, there will be a ~15 frame improvement coming in the next few days. I might as well aso try to hex in a better-looking overworld (if possible).

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1416: Inzult's NES Zelda II: The Adventure of Link in 06:13.38
Active player (325)
Thanks for improving one of my favorite runs on the site! I never get bored of watching Link hurl himself into the lava like that.
jaysmad
Other
Experienced player (834)
Awesome! great improvement! Very smooth playing, the glitches were well done and i just love this game! Nicelly done! Yes of couse
Experienced player (612)
Good improvement, who knew it could be improved by quite a few seconds. Yes vote.
Emulator Coder, Former player
Impressive how much time could be shaved off the original run. This is still confusing as hell to watch ... but entertaining :) Yes.
Player (104)
I voted yes, that's pretty cool. I think you did okay making it look like your run too, the variation is noticeable. Great job. :)
Soft Blue Dragon
Active player (432)
DonamerDragon wrote:
I voted yes, that's pretty cool. I think you did okay making it look like your run too, the variation is noticeable. Great job. :)
What the gentleman said. Bravo, you have now two Zelda 2 run records :) voted yes.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Former player
Awww... my head hurts :S Great run, confusing as hell, but wonderful! Definite YES
Truncated wrote:
Truncated is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man. -- xoinx
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
Thanks, you made my day :)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Former player
It looks very nice everywhere except the overworld, where you paused twice. Weak yes vote.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Emulator Coder, Former player
laughing_gas wrote:
It looks very nice everywhere except the overworld, where you paused twice. Weak yes vote.
I'm gonna assume that was to manipulate the overworld enemy encounters so he could avoid them as quickly as possible
Player (166)
Good job dude.
Banned User, Former player
Seeing those two (very) noticable pauses, I'm also ... well, less assured of this. I would just think they could at least be made less obvious.
Perma-banned
jaysmad
Other
Experienced player (834)
Maximus wrote:
I'm gonna assume that was to manipulate the overworld enemy encounters so he could avoid them as quickly as possible
Why else would he do that, to get rejected?
Active player (422)
About the pauses, they were the fastest way I found. To make them less obvious (ie, a series of small pauses) might change where the enemies appear, because they appear in relation to Link, and I would still have to wait to avoid them. It is probably only possible to spread the large pauses over 2 or 3 steps. If that's better, it's something to keep in mind for next time, if there is a next time :) Also, I was thinking of potential screenshots. I like the Link in the lava from the current run, and that could easily be used again, but what do you guys think about a moment like this:
Former player
Congratulations! You did it! :) (I don't think it's obvious from his submission, but Inzult has been in contact with me for this entire run and he has my blessings.)
Skilled player (1670)
Now Inzult, that one is awesome. I really enjoyed it! So powerful and shows Link in all his pride! Oh, and the run was excellent as well.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Banned User, Former player
Inzult wrote:
About the pauses, they were the fastest way I found. To make them less obvious (ie, a series of small pauses) might change where the enemies appear, because they appear in relation to Link, and I would still have to wait to avoid them. It is probably only possible to spread the large pauses over 2 or 3 steps. If that's better, it's something to keep in mind for next time, if there is a next time :) Also, I was thinking of potential screenshots. I like the Link in the lava from the current run, and that could easily be used again, but what do you guys think about a moment like this:
"I'm locking this door. Even though anyone can jump over it... yeah." Yes.
Perma-banned
Player (70)
No....just....No.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
This continues to be the best Zelda run on the site. I actually liked how there were so many overworld enemies that were too retarded to catch you.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)