Submission Text Full Submission Page

Donkey Kong Land 3 TAS by laughing_gas

This is a TAS of the game Donkey Kong Land 3 for the Game Boy, but uses SGB mode.

Emulator Settings:

• Emulator used: VisualBoyAdvance 1.7.2 re-recording v19.2
    • Allows Left+Right / Up+Down

Goals

• Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses warp barrels
  • Skips most of the DK coins, so the TAS ends after the first K. Rool Duel. (Collecting the DK coins is required for a 100% run, though)

General Information

• In most cases, rolling, then jumping to cancel the pause after rolling, then rolling again is the fastest form of travel. If I'm using Dixie and jumping puts her in the way of an obstacle, I jump on one frame, then press B on the next frame to cancel the jump, wait 3 frames, then roll again. This cannot be done with Kiddy since he cannot cancel his jump in midair.
  • Rolling through enemies give a speed boost, however there are some enemies that cannot be rolled through.
  • When using Engarde, repeatedly stabbing is faster than regular swimming.
  • When using Squawks, holding B makes him fly faster horizontally.
  • When jumping to catch a horizontal rope (This is with Dixie) press B shortly before she reaches the rope and she will grab it automatically, instead of going over and then back.
  • When swimming, holding B makes you swim faster horizontally.
  • I could have ended the input after the last hit on K. Rool, but I decided to move around wildly to provide more entertainment.

Acknowledgments

Thanks to
  • JXQ for editing in the SGB mode change, since I mistakenly began the TAS in black and white Game Boy mode.
  • dezbeast for trying to help with the mode change, even though I miserably failed at using the TAS movie editor.
  • spockybiemmichab for informing me that alternating rolling and jumping is faster than just jumping alone.
  • Everybody else in the DKL3 thread.
Enjoy the run.
EDIT: cancelled due to lack of interest.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1431: laughing_gas's SGB Donkey Kong Land III in 35:15.80
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Submission #0 doesn't exist? Http 403 No bonus?? With the way the wiki works, the place you listed the ROM tries to link to pages that don't exist. This is because square brackets are used as redirection tags. You probably don't need to list it there anyway, since it's in the submission information.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Former player
All right, I'll eliminate the faulty links.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Senior Moderator
So this basically is a dumbed down version of DKC 3. Well, it was rather fast and nominally interesting to make me vote yes, but before that, I want to ask one thing: is it possible to turn off the SGB mode? Constantly changing hues have almost given me a achromatopsy, not to mention that they fucked up the contrast quite a bit: bananas looking like some tentacles protruding from the earth, black monsters and Dixie blending with some of the walls weren't really a pleasant sight. :\
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Former player
Well, I originally began the run in regular Game Boy mode but the rules state that if a game can support SGB mode then it must be used.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Senior Moderator
I'd really wish someone to reconsider such rules, cause painting the whole image in one single hue and changing it from level to level looks really, really awful. >_< EDIT: Btw, voted yes.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Banned User
You used warp barrals why? I vote no because I've always wnated to see a 100% TAS.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
funguy10 wrote:
You used warp barrals why?
NesVideoAgent wrote:
Aims for fastest time
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
For comparison, I hex'd this back into GB mode and it synced (though the last few frames may need to be re-recorded to make frame count correct). Perhaps if enough people prefer this version, the rule can be overturned for this case. I haven't watched the run yet, just fast forwarded it to make sure it synced.
Senior Moderator
Yeah, it is indeed easier to watch it in b/w. Thanks, JXQ.
Warp wrote:
Banned User
JXQ wrote:
funguy10 wrote:
You used warp barrals why?
NesVideoAgent wrote:
Aims for fastest time
Well could he also do a 100% TAS?
Senior Moderator
Maybe it would be better to do a 105% TAS of DKC3, which is better than this on every account?
Warp wrote:
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
funguy10 wrote:
Well could he also do a 100% TAS?
Sure, but I don't see why you'd vote no to this one based on that.
Former player
The new movie appears to synch correctly. Funguy, if you want a 100% TAS so much then why don't you do one? Don't clog up the forum with movie requests.
Borg Collective wrote:
I tried to be entertained by this. I really did. Not that there's anything wrong with the run, but it just feels like the game itself was an attempt to cram as much of DKC3 into a tiny Gameboy cart as possible without regard to the game itself. Frankly, it looks like a pirate issue. I'd have preferred to see a run of the first game in the DKL series. At least it tries to be somewhat original rather than just copying the DKC series. But I digress... You ran this one really well, but the game offers nothing interesting over the SNES equivalent. I have to vote no out of boredom. Re: the colour vs. B&W question; with this run, colour adds nothing in this game. I preferred to watch the B&W version if only because the screen was larger (since there's no border).
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!