Post subject: List of the Most Popular Excuses for publishing a TAS…
Senior Moderator
…As provided by the viewers when commenting on new movies. Use it for laughs, or as a document to ease arguing in the Workbench. :) http://tasvideos.org/Moozooh/MostPopularExcuses.html Suggestions are welcome.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Experienced player (822)
My movie is faster, therefore it's automatically publishworthy. Probably should be a sublist off of "It's an improvement to an existing movie..." This is one I've used in the past (Donkey Kong), and think that it still has some merit, although some movies like Vatchern's River City Ransom have been rejected in spite of this thinking. Thats the only one I could think of off the top of my head.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Senior Moderator
List updated with suggestions from mmbossman and Xkeeper. :)
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Yes, moozooh. Thank you for picking on one of the reasons I gave :-[
Senior Moderator
Sure, no problem. If you have another one, feel free to write it here!
Warp wrote:
Former player
I'll give one: - It's (very) entertaining! - well no duh, it sucks technically though
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
OK have one. This movie should be published because most people are unable to watch this game on an emulator.
Post subject: Re: List of the Most Popular Excuses for publishing a TAS…
Editor, Active player (296)
Very good and very truthful :) I only complain about the possible misattribution of quote about a past mistake supposedly justifying a new mistake...
Senior Moderator
laughing_gas wrote:
I'll give one
Updated!
Bisqwit wrote:
Very good and very truthful :)
Thanks, I'm glad I've managed to present it in a truthful manner — that makes it much easier to refer to. Also, to address misattribution: this was the first time I've seen this argument coming from adelikat, and he repeated that quite often since then. Most of the debates he used it in were going in IRC, though, hence why there is little evidence for that.
Warp wrote:
Dunno how many times this one has been said, but I'm sure it has been brought up. "Oh, (s)he did a run of a popular game, accept it, everyone is familiar with it, and will watch it." also "This is klnown as one the hardest games of all time. I did this in real time without any slowing the game down. Turbo fire doesn't work in this game so I had to take breaks from my arm getting tired from tapping so much." (silver surfer)
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
Mitjitsu
He/Him
What about the classic [URL=http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5357] "beats the WR" [/URL] or "is impressive compared to the WR".
Skilled player (1090)
Oh, I have one! "This movie uses lots of rerecords so it must be good!" #1499
Post subject: Re: List of the Most Popular Excuses for publishing a TAS…
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
Bisqwit wrote:
Very good and very truthful :) I only complain about the possible misattribution of quote about a past mistake supposedly justifying a new mistake...
Date of Bisqwit's post: 1-10-2007 Date of adelikat's post moozooh attributed to: 09-04-2006 ;P Also I enjoyed the page and think it would be useful to have. As I don't need to rethink/retype the same counter-arguments in the future. I can just link there :)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Active player (325)
Are there any valid reasons to publish a movie that don't count as "excuses"? I think you've taken them all up in some shape or form.
Senior Moderator
Well of course, like "if it's entertaining and of high enough quality". But generally, it's "if a judge deems it worthy". :P The "excuses" I listed are mostly misconceptions as to why the should be published, since each of them is not a good enough reason per se. But it's only half-serious, after all.
Warp wrote:
Active player (410)
Another excuse: It beats a run done by X, it should be published. Ex.
Sir VG wrote:
I say, what's the point in voting? Anything that beats a run by nitsuja is a shoe-in for publication.
Player (147)
"This movie completes an arbitrary challenge popular with people that play the game/series/genre." e.g. CCC, mega buster only, pacifist, ect. May need some rewording. :P
Nach wrote:
I also used to wake up every morning, open my curtains, and see the twin towers. And then one day, wasn't able to anymore, I'll never forget that.
Banned User, Former player
I believe I have seen this one: "The previous movie of this game is n years old. It was time someone obsoleted it already."
Active player (410)
Another one: It beats a Famtasia(or any old emulator) run... let publish it.
Heres one: Whoa, X made this TAS of game Y? We have to publish this to show the world what a success story people can be.
Renting this space for rent. Trying to fix image on this site. Please cut slack. As of April 6th, 2012: After a long absence, here we go again?
Senior Moderator
Ok, threw in some new suggestions, and placed people in the list. Also, numbered the excuses as per TNSe's suggestion:
<TNSe> moozooh, can you number them? <TNSe> so we can just reply with "Excuse #xx" <TNSe> or "Thats a new way of saying Excuse #3"
Also, if an excuse suggested above wasn't used in the list, it means it's either already there, or wasn't actually used anywhere as far as I can tell. Thanks anyone!
Warp wrote:
Active player (410)
As for excuse #4, I already saw the opposite. "Wow, so few rerecords, the player must be good. Let publish the movie."
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Thanks moozooh for putting this list together, it gave me a laugh. Also something to keep in mind next time I'm judging a movie, thanks. Another excuse: This author submitted so many unaccepted runs, I feel bad for the guy, or maybe if I publish this one, he'll stop trying to resubmit new runs for the same boring game. (Is this excuse popular at all?) And another: It's been sitting in the queue for so long, we can't just reject it now.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
For programmers only: Its not my fault that i hacked into the server and published my movie.
Renting this space for rent. Trying to fix image on this site. Please cut slack. As of April 6th, 2012: After a long absence, here we go again?
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
Rridgway. You seem to have failed to understand that this thread is for reasons people actually use at this site. Not for jokes.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.