Note 1: This is the japanese version of Tetris Attack. The japanese version is actually called "Panel de Pon". I entered "Tetris Attack" as a game name for the same reason that "Gryzor" is called "Contra" at this site. (Version differences are explained below.)
Note 2: This is not an attempt to obsolete the USA movie of this game.
This movie has the same goal as the US movie of this game. It tries to get the maximum score of 99999 in the endless mode as fast as possible.
  • Snes9x 1.43
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Aims for maximum score
  • Plays at hardest level
  • Genre: Puzzle
If you watch the japanese version of this game for the first time, it seems quite different from the US version. But if you look closer, you'll notice they are almost exactly the same. The board where you play the game is the same, the background is the same, and the background music is the same. The only difference is the fact that the Yoshi's Island themed characters from the US version are replaced by a bunch of girls.
But I obviously didn't pick this version because of this difference. If you get a combo of 32 of higher in this game, you will gain about 33351 poins. This is roughly one third of the maximum score. This is somehow strange, since a combo of 31 (or lower) doesn't give you much points at all. This feature or glitch is not present in the US version of this game. In the US version of the game, the fastest way to reach the maximum score is by making long chains. In this version the fastest way to reach the maximum score is by making big combo's. Since both version have completely different ways of achieving the highest possible score as fast as possible, and because this japanese version can be completed faster than the US version ever possibly could, I think both versions of this game deserve their own movie.
This glitch/feature (obviously) wasn't discovered by me. I saw that someone pointed out a youtube movie in the US version movie thread, where the japanese version was TASed with combo's. It would surprise me if zvsp507 (the author of the youtube TAS) discovered this glitch (I guess it is just well known amongst japanese players of this game), but I did use the same strategy as zvsp507's TAS, so I thank him for his movie. His movie was rather good actually... I improved a little on randomness, some speed strategy and optimizations. The general stategy remained the same though. I don't have frame numbers, but his TAS ended up with an ingame time of 32 seconds, and this TAS completes it with an ingame time of 29 seconds. This movie aims for shortest AVI time.
Enjoy,

adelikat: Accepting for publication alongside the published movie.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1648: Baxter's SNES Tetris Attack in 00:48.70
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Although Tetris games are different, and this one is more different from the others than Baxter's recent deluge of Tetris submissions, I don't see a need for publishing all these very similar runs.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Skilled player (1402)
JXQ wrote:
Although Tetris games are different, and this one is more different from the others than Baxter's recent deluge of Tetris submissions, I don't see a need for publishing all these very similar runs.
All of the other movies we improvements to previous runs... so I was kinda on the save side, not needing to defend why they should be published (I guess either someone already did that, or no one complained). With making this movie (that doesn't have a published movie already, and thus could possibly not be published), I knew people were gonna say something like 'all of these runs (including the other runs) are too much of the same' or 'we do not need two movies for this game'. I wouldn't have made this movie if I didn't think this provided something new, entertaining, and publishworthy. As JXQ already said, this game is very different than all other tetris movies. One could even wonder why they called this tetris in the US (well, probably calling it tetris and putting in nintendo characters made it sell better in the US). Either way, the only thing this game has in common with the other tetris games is that it has tetris in the name... the feeling that it's all the same (although I disagree with this) probably comes from the fact that they were submitted in a relatively short period of time. I basically already said in the submission text why I think this game should have this second movie, but I'll adress it again: This game has two kinds of scoring (combo's and chains), the US version has to fully rely on chains, this version fully relies on combo's... so the gameplay is completely different (just watch both movies, and even if you have never seen the game, you can clearly see it's being completed in a totally different way). It's nice to see how fast the original version of this game can be beaten over twice as fast as the US version, and the different characters and sounds they make does give the game a different feel than the nintendo characters gave.
juef
He/Him
Player (131)
This run was entertaining to me, and it seemed technically good as far as I can tell ==> yes vote from me. Had it been 5 minutes long it would have been boring, but thankfully, this is not the case of this run. Man, I hope the next Mario game's title has the word 'Tetris' in it, so Baxter can TAS/own it! :P
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
Unfortunately, all the systems which new games are being made for don't have rerecording emulators yet. This video looks pretty well-optimized, and it's quite different from the US version. Yes vote.
It's worndeful speedrun!
DiffCalc .NET Frameworks 3.5 required.
Active player (432)
I liked it. Yes vote.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
I like it. I agree that it shouldn't obselete the US run..they're too different.
Skilled player (1885)
Very short and fun to watch. It looked very optimized too. I'm tossing in another yes.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
I vote yes. I was entertained. While it is called tetris, it is nothing like actual tetris games. It is unique. And it is different enough from the current run to deserve to be published along side.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [936] SNES Panel de Pon "maximum score" by Baxter in 00:48.70
I think the most interesting aspect of the avi is that the credits are far longer than the gameplay portion.
This guy are sick.
Senior Moderator
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Banned User, Former player
I was considering doing something like this (if only as a demo; we all know how bad I am at TASing) when I found out about it a while ago, so it's good to see there was a real TAS of it made. It's interesting to see the game beaten this way, since it provides a unique strategy compared to the other movie. I'm glad to see this one wasn't marked to obsolete it, at least :) Voting: yes, even though the movie is long since published.
Perma-banned
Yes vote; I don't think it's as entertaining as the run that uses chains, but entertaining and optimal nonetheless.