Submission Text Full Submission Page
Major reference to the original video of Genisto. Soon three more seconds, I don't know if this is good or bad results. So twice before completion, the first I used the S, but I found it's too weak, so I used the F, the advantages of the F is strength, but it also has shortcoming - its requency is too slow. I will try my best in the game on the details faster than the original, but it's micro, I can't strive for more time in the way. In the 2 Area, I spented less time to kill the tanks. Another, I can kill BOSS very fast, in the 7 Area, I changed the F to the S, because I can fell very fast in the channel, in the 8 Area, I changed my gun once again, because it can kill BOSS faster than the default gun. This is my first movie, I hope you like it, please forgive my bad English.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.

adelikat: This movie does not differ significantly enough from the published 2-player movie to warrant publication alongside it. Therefore, it must be rejected. However, I am impressed by the quality of this run. I hope you choose to submit other movies in the future.

mmbossman: This submission has been given another chance at publication. If you feel it should be published, instead of returning to the grue, please post WHY in the thread. Similarly, if you do NOT think this movie should be published, post WHY.

mmbossman: Not much support for this one. Maybe another version with more entertaining waiting periods and other tweaks to address the problems brought up in discussion would fare better. As for this, I'm sending it back to the grue.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1660: Hongbaichaoren's NES Super C in 12:35.93
Senior Moderator
Sorry, but there already is an improvement to Genisto's movie published here: http://tasvideos.org/830M.html And it's 16 seconds faster than yours, too, due to using two players, and other reasons.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Active player (410)
moozooh wrote:
And it's 16 seconds faster than yours, too, due to using two players, and other reasons.
...And that's the reason Genisto's run shouldn't have been obsoleted. It's not really the same category. It's kinda unfair using a 2 player to beat a one player run. Imo, it's cheating.
Former player
Phil wrote:
...And that's the reason Genisto's run shouldn't have been obsoleted. It's not really the same category. It's kinda unfair using a 2 player to beat a one player run. Imo, it's cheating.
Genisto's run would have been obsoleted anyways, it was improvable (As you can see from this submission).
Active player (410)
Guybrush wrote:
Genisto's run would have been obsoleted anyways, it was improvable (As you can see from this submission).
And? What's your point? Re-read my post because what you just wrote doesn't mean anything.
Former player
Phil wrote:
Guybrush wrote:
And? What's your point? Re-read my post because what you just wrote doesn't mean anything.
You were saying that Genisto's run shouldn't have been obsoleted by the 2 player run, I was saying that it would have been obsoleted even if the 2 player run would have been published along with Genisto's run, since it was improvable and adelikat's goal was to obsolete a Famtasia run.
Active player (410)
Oh ok, so YOU think I am frustrated which is really "censored". Worse, instead of DIRECTLY saying me "You are frustrated" you are saying anything. No, I am not frustrated. I know it's your case... but not me. If the movie would have been beaten with same conditions, in this case a 1 player run, then I would be happy. In this case, Hongbaichaoren's movie is the fastest. It should obsolete Genisto's run. Rejecting this movie because an existing run with different rules is faster is stupid in my opinion. Edit: Oh btw, with your mentality, we should obsolete, the SCV4 run, JXQ and Carboard Bionic Commando's run and some others now. They are going to be improved in some future...
Skilled player (1670)
Dear Phil. I think that the point is that having a 2-player run and a 1-player run in a game like Contra with the only option "Run and shoot" would be quite a waste of time and interest, who would watch the 1-player run if a 2-player run was around? I do know that it is more than "run and shoot" to a Contra-game, still the runs would have looked VERY similar, even if it is a one or two player run.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
This movie is very good on a technical level. On par with our 2-player run, though it may have a frame or two of lag here and there. So there is no question to its publishability on that regard. However, a 1 player run of this game is a whole lot less interesting to me. And I didn't like the auto-scrolling parts of level 4. Rather than stand there, it would have been nice if you tried to find something interesting to do. I also don't see enough of a difference in strategy/gameplay between 1-player and 2-player movies to warrant it being published a long side the published movie. I vote no.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2105)
I prefer 2-player movies for most of the "Run and shoot" games, but for the Contra series, I think 1-player movies are more, err..., impressive if you think about the story like this: the Hero is the last/only warrior on the earth who can eliminate the evil aliens! He is the only hope of the human being! Isn't this a more heroric and exciting story? I like watching this. So I vote Yes. However I also vote Yes for that the auto-scrolling parts of Stage 4 could be done better so that it would be more interesting than now.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I was (very) impressed with the movie in a technical sense, but a 1-player movie of this game doesn't offer anything extra compared to the 2-player movie we have. I do not think this movie should be published, but I really hope that you, 红白超人 (something white superhuman?), continue making more movies.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
The general consensus on the site is that if a 1p movie exists and the subsequent 2p is slower then there should be two seperate catagories, sadly this doesn't apply here and I was generally bored throughout and everything seemed slower in general (not that its the fault of the technicalness of the author). This is a pretty straightforward no vote.
Well. I for one thought this TAS looked fine. So I gave it a yes vote. You people are just so negative. There should be a seperate 1p and 2p catergory for any games that allow you more than one player. I admit, it does seem to move a little slower, but it's rather fast. Voting no on it just because of such, is rather unfair. Just like it would be unfair for me to go and vote no on any TAS that abuses glitches or programming errors. Give it a chance. It's very entertaining.
Post subject: Returned to "new" status
Experienced player (822)
As you can see, this movie has been returned from the grue for another shot at publication. Please post what you think about the movie, and why it should be published, or why it should remain rejected. Poll votes will not be considered, only responses in the thread. This submission will remain on the workbench for one month to gather further opinions, then a second judging decision will be made.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2105)
Truncated wrote:
I was (very) impressed with the movie in a technical sense, but a 1-player movie of this game doesn't offer anything extra compared to the 2-player movie we have.
I guess the "common sense" to most people on this planet is that a 2-player movie should offer something extra, since "2 players" is something extra. Nonetheless, this movie doesn't abuse death, which looks different from the published 2-player movie. And I still insist that a lonely "final fighter" (not referring to the user with a similar name) is more superherorical and cool. "Random" remark below:
Truncated wrote:
I do not think this movie should be published, but I really hope that you, 红白超人 (something white superhuman?), continue making more movies.
I guess 红白超人 means Famicom (in red & white) Superman in this context, which could imply that the author intended to "conquer" the Famicom/NES with TAS-Power (TM). However, the author has never come back, probably thanks to having his/her first high-technique and publishable-on-some-regard submission rejected (apparently I read somewhere that we would lower the bar for newcomers, at least in the "old good days"), with very negative feedbacks.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Banned User
It's questionable that this would help, but I gave a yes vote - only on technical terms. Entertainment was a little shook up.
Former player
There were a couple of small places I felt could have used a different choice or two in terms of entertainment (Most notably the first elevator ride in Level 4), but in terms of everything else, this is really well-polished and has a lot of fun going along with it. The bosses were destroyed surprisingly fast for having just one player shoot them up and some of the bits, such as in level 1 where it was waited until the very last second to kill the enemies from behind, was rather amusing to me. It seems to have a lot of hard work put into it and not just sloppy thrown-together garbage in it, so I have to give this one a thumbs-up for publication.
Skilled player (1402)
I'm pretty sure you started shooting the spiderboss at level 3 before it could be damaged. This means that there was no charged fire shot as a first hit, which probably cost a few frames. I agree with Rick that it could particularly at the times where you have to wait, more interesting things should have been done. I'm also not really sure what the single player TAS could possibly have to offer that isn't present, or can't be done in a more entertaining way than the 2-player version. If the single player TAS would be faster than the 2-player TAS, it might be a different story...
Former player
I just like how the single player version is able to blow through things without the need of a second player. It may be a little longer, but I still think it gets the job done almost as well as if he did have a second player handy. As far as blowing through things quickly was concerned, I didn't feel bored watching the video at all, nor did I really notice the extra length of the video. I think the only blip in the entertainment now that I think back on it again, is just that elevator part in stage four. It's only a minor complaint though that I think, if someone did again, could just be easily corrected. I'm not chalking it up to too much, though. In the grand scheme of things, I can overlook an entertainment blip a lot easier than a speed blip.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I don't know how I feel about this exactly; I recognize that the movie is really well done, but there are certain bits of entertainment that a 1p run can't do. In the published run, I loved the death abuse at Massacre Mountain, which can't really be exploited in a 1p run. Maybe the thing to have done with this run is to put a link to it in the published movie's page, like was originally done with cpadolf's in-game SM run.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... sweet!
Active player (417)
Congratz for beating that amazing run by Genisto.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
I watched this again recently, and thought it was pretty darn good. Considering the relaxed nature of nonstandard/alternate goals in the Moon tier, perhaps this deserves a third look?
Previous Name: boct1584