Submission Text Full Submission Page
Prologue:
It was a rainy night when Rygar, one of the many forgotten heroes of the NES-era, suddenly received a call from the Hero Council. Ligar had returned to Argool, closed the door of Peace and created your average video game plot chaos.
Rygar got on his feet and prepared for the great journey, but just as he was about to leave he got another call. It was the head of the Heroes Fundings, Mr. Mo Ney.
Ney: "Rygar... it seems that we have a slight problem. Due to missions where the heroes get all their expensive gear from the start and missions which demanded many heroes the Heroes Fundings are a bit... short of... cash."
Rygar: "SAY WHAT?"
Ney: "Now don't take this personally! It has been a rough year for all of us and you are not the first hero who have to complete his quest with insufficient gear. Remember that Mario did it."
Rygar: "But... This is LIGAR we're talking about dammit. An overgrown turtle is my FIRST boss, not last! You can't expect me to pull this off with no items at all!"
Ney: "I can, I will and I do! You are a hero, you brought this on yourself. Fix this mess!"
These horrible news brought Rygar down so much that he decided to spend the last of his money on booze rather than gear such as the Grappling Weapon or Wind Pulley.
This resulted in Rygar waking up with a hangover from Hell itself the next morning, but as he looked at his beaten face in the mirror, he realized that he's not exactly getting any younger, so he decided that he had to give this a try. After all, he hadn't been invited to the latest Hero Party and missed his chance of getting some with Samus, so this was probably his last chance to return to the hall of heroes.
The run itself
  • fceu 0.98.16
  • Aims for 0 items
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses death
  • Uses programming errors in the game
  • New category: Minimalist/0%
Choice of ROM and Category
"U-ROM? Seriously? But what about the river?"
Yes. U-ROM. It is faster when slaying Bargans (The robots in Lapis) and Ligar due to "shorter amount of seconds in the air" (Rygar jumps for 60 frames in both versions, and of course, on the U-ROM this is a second, on the E-ROM, more than a second). The lost time while passing the river is more than re-gained during the slaying.
"Allright so what about the category? Why do we need a new one?"
I feel that it's justified to add another category for this run, since it shows a completely new side of Rygar, not needing any items at all. This minimalist-run is also not at all long, and the leveling is pretty short. The Ligar-battle is a bit long yes, but yeah. Completing Rygar in 7:08 (25692) minutes without getting any items is pretty cool, and shows even more of the game's broken side.

The shortcut to Lapis through Eruga's Chamber was something I stumbled upon when goofing around with the pass-through-screen-glitching used by Walker Boh in the Gran Mountains. This allows the player to warp to Lapis, and by using the death-by-door-glitch, eventually all the way to Ligar himself since I don't have equipment enough to get out through that hidden door, and even if I did, I'd be stuck since Ligar is below the platform.
Much like Walker Boh's warp run, this one contains a lot of Bargan-slaying, which is a must. If I had warped directly to Ligar when reaching Belzar in Lapis, Ligar would have taken 10 - 20 or so minutes to kill. The Bargan-slaying is pretty fast paced most of the time anyways.
Also, powering up the Disc Armor by using star-points does NOT increase Rygar's strength so that is not something I have to worry about. Besides picking up and using stars would kinda go against my goals. That being said, I also lose all stars when dying.
Special thanks to
  • Randil for digging out memory addresses for me
  • adelikat for supporting the idea
Suggested screenshot, frame 6879:

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. I'm not sure I got the right ROM though. (I tried Rygar (U).nes, which was the closest match to what you wrote.) Well, here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1719: Cardboard's NES Rygar in 07:08.20
Senior Moderator
Well, can't say if the run itself has entertained me more than the introductory text in your submission (I'd like to see more of those in the future), but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have it while we're at that. I'm sure fans would appreciate the run; I give it a borderline yes(/meh), by a tiny margin.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
Excellent job. The fact that this game can be beaten without a single item is so absurd. I love it. I also am glad it worked out to be possible on the U version. I give this a big yes vote and vote that it be a 3rd category (low%) for this game.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
The first part is interesting (before the robots), as it's a little different than the current run, and it uses the duck-run in midair-glitch a lot more than the other runs, which is probably my favorite of the glitches. (I think because it really should have been caught in development XD) But by the time I was done watching, this is very similar to the glitched run, but longer and still repetitive. So I will throw away my vote on the 3rd party candidate Meh.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
:) I wish I woulda known you were workin on this one Cardboard! Yes it has the obligatory boring Lapis leveling up and long Ligar battle but it showcased a lil more glitch/sequence breaking action which i really dig. I know I'm gonna sound lame by saying this was one of my favorite games as a child and it does make me a lil bit biased. I support this as a third entry into the Rygar family of runs and hope to see more in the future. edit: I agree with FODA on the screenshot.
I like stuff...
Correct because a ROM file name has been written in the column in the author’s real name.(In Submittion Page)
DiffCalc .NET Frameworks 3.5 required.
Skilled player (1885)
How nice, I'll watch this later today. :) Just curious though, did any of the mathematical formulas I gave you help at all, or were they too strange and hard to read? :P
Skilled player (1670)
Well, mod8 is not too hard to know what it does <_< So there was no cow on the ice.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Editor, Active player (296)
JXQ wrote:
midair-glitch [...] really should have been caught in development XD
I can imagine the developer saying: "So what? It's not like anyone can ever use that for anything useful, and extremely unlikely anyone will even notice it." Your submission message dismantled my prejudice towards this movie. So I'll look forward to actually watching it when I have time.
Banned User, Former player
Personally I would still like to see the full run (ie. using no death-warp) perfected.
Skilled player (1670)
That is on the list. I only needed to get to know the physics of the game, and I think that I just did. The warpglitch with grappling weapon is also on the list (Muahahahah Morrison >:D )
Warp wrote:
Dwedit
He/Him
My rom's checksum did not match, but it played fine.
Former player
I also had a non-matching checksum but it played fine. This route is really super boring to watch. I'd like to see an improved full-game route that doesn't warp around. Thanks for using the U version though.
someone is out there who will like you. take off your mask so they can find you faster. I support the new Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun.
Skilled player (1670)
Boco wrote:
I'd like to see an improved full-game route that doesn't warp around. Thanks for using the U version though.
Say hi to E-ROM then. Sorry but the E-ROM cuts so many shortcuts that shorter boss fights in the U-ROM can not re-gain that time. The Grappling Weapon-run can (And will if I do it) be done with the U-ROM though. Also by warp around I hope that you accept the "Go through a pit to end up high in the sky"-glitch. Also you are welcome.
Warp wrote:
Editor, Active player (296)
Bisqwit wrote:
Your submission message dismantled my prejudice towards this movie. So I'll look forward to actually watching it when I have time.
Okay, after watching it, this movie felt like a reiteration of rygar-timeattackv5-walkerboh.avi. There was nothing interesting added, though the route was different. I'm voting no. Also, I suspect that it wasn't optimal. You spent a noticeable amount of time collecting experience before the three-headed bear, even though the mileage they give is far less than that which you get from the ammolums. But as it might have aided killing the first two ammolums faster, it may have balanced out.
Skilled player (1670)
Yeah it did. They have 300 HP each, and I raised my DAM from 5 to 6 I think, which cut down my amount of attacks by a decent amount. This also made me have 40 DAM against Ligar rather than 39, as I would have had if I had not killed what was worth Tone on the way to Eruga. This alone saved me 200+ frames against Ligar. On a totally unrelated note, this can be achieved by jerking around in Eruga's Chamber.
Warp wrote:
Banned User, Former player
While it was interesting to watch, I'm not completely sure it's innovative enough compared to the any% run that it deserves its own category alongside it (and the no-death run). I would have preferred if you had improved the any% run instead (and much more if you improve the no-death run, which you are apparently going to, which is cool). Since I'm completely undecided about this, I interpreted "meh" as meaning "I'm not sure, I'm undecided".
Morrison
He/Him
Former player
I love how broken this game is.
twitch.tv/Retrogaming2084
Experienced player (822)
Short run= Fun. Half that run fighting the same 2 monsters= not so fun. It's broken, which is pretty interesting, but the rest of it lost my attention. I give it a meh.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page