In this black sheep of the Sonic family, our hero is thrown into a giant pinball game, mainly because he spends a lot of time in ball form. It's a good thing too, because Sonic's running and walking in this game is a travesty compared to the more "traditional" Sonic games. Here is my updated run to Zer0's movie from 2004, completed 3329 frames faster.
This movie has been on my list of projects for a while. I recently decided to actually put some work into it, and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to work with. There is a large portion of the game where you have no control over Sonic's movements, which leads to big sections of game being completed rather rapidly. It is also very helpful that Sonic is able to maneuver somewhat while in the air, so shots from flippers need not be perfectly precise. Although this defies the laws of physics, we're talking about a hedgehog that spindashes in a giant pinball machine, so just suspend your disbelief for the entirety of this movie.
I used a few tricks and glitches while making this movie. First, roughly two thirds of the improvement came from a trick that Zer0 didn't know about. During the boring bonus scenes, where Sonic takes a break from being a pinball to play a game of pinball, you can press the A,B, and C buttons together at the same time, causing the machine to "tilt". This allows the player to provide some rudimentary control over the otherwise physics-obeying ball. Most of the other time saved came from refined movements, and avoiding having Sonic hang on ledges or walk any more than needed. I also used a couple glitches. In the first level, it is possible to get stuck in between a worm and the wall as the worm appears. Since the worm likes his space, he pushes Sonic into, and if the positioning is right, through, the wall. This was present in Zer0s run once, but because it is faster than having Sonic grab onto the lip of the floor and swing up through the door (another glitch), I sneak it in twice. I also found a glitch in level 3 on the 4th emerald, where I was able to grab the emerald without having the rotating cage in the right spot. However, because I was not able to stay inside the cage, it only ends up saving about 65 frames.
Here's my rundown of improvements:
SectionFrames SavedSectionFrames Saved
Level 1162Bonus 1802
Level 2517Bonus 2831
Level 3304Bonus 3500
Level 4206Intro7
The game is played on hardest difficulty, abuses programming oversights, and aims for fastest time. Score is not important (although my final score ends up being 91,141,000). I hope you find it entertaining and a worthwhile watch.

mmbossman: Hi! I'm the author and didn't like any of NESvideoagent's automatic screenshots, so I took some of my own!

adelikat: Accepting for publication as an improvement to the published movie.
adelikat: Claimed for Encoding

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1768: mmbossman's Genesis Sonic Spinball in 09:55.88
hm my computer doesn't like those pictures very much (100% cpu when scrolling down, can't you have 15 instead of 20). Have waited a few years for someone to beat the old record, watching it now. EDIT: hm maybe not, watching it another day
"No love for the game gear"
Skilled player (1533)
Very nice movie, I figured the current run could be improved, it's a yes from me.
Active player (432)
Most impressive. When I watched it, I got the impression that you totally knew what you were doing so kudos for making a thorough tas. Also, I think you improved one of TASvideos oldest runs :) Clear yes vote. Edit: I also would like to say that the music is very cool, especially the second stage.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Player (244)
I absolutely loved watching this pretty hard game so easily destroyed. Yes!
Player (64)
Voting yes as a nice improvement to the currently published run. However, what a terrible game. I don't quite understand why I feel this way about it, but still... Maybe it's just the ugly sprites and low framerate?
Experienced player (822)
I owned this as a kid and remember actually beating it, and I agree, it's not a very good game. Sonic looks different from all the other Genesis Sonic games, and controlling him on land is absolutely horrible. It literally takes 10-12 frames for him to enter his jumping animation, and you nearly have to be stopped to get him to jump. However the game itself is actually kinda fun to play, as long as you stay bouncing around. Oh, and I wish that there was some color differences in the emeralds, that blue is cool but gets old.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
It's because it was done by a different branch of Sega to the ones that made the other Sonic games, so the mechanics are different. Impressive improvement to the old run.
To make a boring game interesting is always a plus. And it improves on the last movie, to boot. Thumbs up.
Kirby said so, so it must be true. ( >'.')>
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Impressive improvement. I never really liked this game, so seeing it destroyed is very much worth it. Yes vote.
Zakatos
He/Him
Voted yes. The previous run was awesome, and that one simply pull off the game to it's limits. The bogus bonus stages were greatly improved too.
The eyes of a machine are wonderful, but there's nothing like the the eyes of the heart – Old Cid, Cybercop
I'm impressed that the game can be beaten this quickly. Despite only being 4 levels, this game is pretty hard. Voted Yes.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Nice improvements. I was entertained. Yes vote.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1020] Genesis Sonic Spinball by mmbossman in 09:55.88
Qlex
He/Him
Wow I just looked at the vidéo and I've been amazed, except for the bonus parts, but since you aimed for speed it didn't matter. There's just something that really bothers me... in the first stage you try to "drain the slime" as they say, by reaching the two targets in the very first room, but if my memory isn't screwed up I think it was possible not to hit those two targets, by moving through the obstacles in the tunnel somehow. Have you tried to complete the level without touching these two targets?
Experienced player (822)
As far as I know, the only way to drain the slime is to hit those two targets, because they release the cork that holds the slime in. If you're talking about glitching into the slime area, that would be great, but I have a feeling you're talking about alternate targets, or some other way to get the cork to pop out. I haven't seen anything of the sort, but I'll take a look around online to see if I can find anything. And if you can remember or find out an alternate method I will certainly test it to see if it's faster. Oh, I just thought that you may have remembered rowing over to the third emerald in the barrel that is located below the flippers on the second level. This can get you over to it, but rowing (and the subsequent jump off the barrel) is significantly slower from my tests (roughly 2 seconds).
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Great job, bossman. I hope you're on a crusade to improve those outdated GENS run.
Experienced player (822)
Thanks AKA, I'm just trying to update some of the runs still around from 2004. Oh, as for the tags on this game on it's published page, is "Genre: Sport" really necessary? I've never considered pinball a sport, and if the tags section looks bare, "Plays on hardest level" and "Abuses programming glitches" could go there. Now if only TASing were considered a sport...
Qlex
He/Him
mmbossman wrote:
As far as I know, the only way to drain the slime is to hit those two targets, because they release the cork that holds the slime in. If you're talking about glitching into the slime area, that would be great, but I have a feeling you're talking about alternate targets, or some other way to get the cork to pop out. I haven't seen anything of the sort, but I'll take a look around online to see if I can find anything. And if you can remember or find out an alternate method I will certainly test it to see if it's faster. Oh, I just thought that you may have remembered rowing over to the third emerald in the barrel that is located below the flippers on the second level. This can get you over to it, but rowing (and the subsequent jump off the barrel) is significantly slower from my tests (roughly 2 seconds).
Nope, I was not talking about alternate targets, I was talking about not releasing the cork at all. I was not talking about using the barrels either, but just getting directly through the first tunnels ("sewer time!"), although the game doesn't want you to get through if you haven't released the cork, but only the game doesn't want that, right? I hope you understood me, and hope that works.
Experienced player (822)
Umm, I'm confused. Even if you get into the tunnels without hitting the targets, or releasing the cork, the slime still exists, which kills you on contact if you land in it. So how are you proposing I survive my plunge into the slime protecting the 3rd emerald?
it seems you (Qlex) are just thinking aloud, instead of having an experience/wip/proof that you can do these "glitches"... why dont you make a wip showing exactly what you mean?
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Qlex
He/Him
sticky, well, I'm sorry but I don't have time to make those wip, I don't even really have time to explain how it may be possible. mmbossman, let's just say that you got into those tunnels, and -- that's too bad -- you can still see the slime where there's the emerald, but does that slime hurt? If the programmers just thought that thing couldn't happen they wouldn't have made that slime hurt when nobody could check it. Sorry, I look kind of noobish because I'm throwing my two cents and I'm not even sure that it's true, but why wouldn't you check whether it's true or not? I remember I saw something like that when I was a kid, I personnaly think it's a good enough reason to check.
Active player (283)
Why wouldn't the programmers think that could happen? The cart disappears as soon as you get the first two emeralds, and not releasing the cork doesn't even try to prevent or hinder you from doing that at all. And for the record, I remember getting killed by that slime once, but memory isn't always reliable.
Qlex
He/Him
Nitrodon wrote:
Why wouldn't the programmers think that could happen? The cart disappears as soon as you get the first two emeralds, and not releasing the cork doesn't even try to prevent or hinder you from doing that at all.
Actually, not releasing the cork forbids the player to reach the kart, because the player can't move from the very first room, but I think that when Sonic is thrown a certain way to the tunnels (glitch), you can still find your way. What's important to know is : does that slime really kills you? If I remember right, no, but nobody has a reliable memory.
Qlex wrote:
Actually, not releasing the cork forbids the player to reach the kart, because the player can't move from the very first room, but I think that when Sonic is thrown a certain way to the tunnels (glitch), you can still find your way. What's important to know is : does that slime really kills you? If I remember right, no, but nobody has a reliable memory.
the game has no underwater levels (unless i am mistaken), thus all liquid seen in the game (magma, water, slime) provides a nice, quick, instant death. i mean, even the slime by that barrel on the second level of stage one (that is green) kills you... i mean, what else would the slime do, turn you into a ninja turtle?
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.