General Info

• Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Uses warps
I mixed a few styles up together. I just don't know what style is the most popular with most people.

The Only Improvement

• Not lowering flags
I once got this idea, and I made it the first time after hundreds of failures. I don't know how it works exactly, but I am sure that you have to somehow get into the block under the pole and then jump up. You may need to steer or NOT to steer to SOME directions when you are inside the block. If you make it, you'll skip the flag-lowering animation.
Note: I didn't use this trick in stage 8-3 otherwise I would have had to decide whether to waste 42 frames in watching three fireworks or not to by wasting 19+ frames somewhere else to miss them....

Special Thanks

Thanks to Phil, genisto and pom for their well-optimized movies that I studied and JXQ for his FCMFix tool.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Oh! I also corrected the ROM name.
  • You indicated Super Mario Bros. (JU) [!]
  • I updated it to Super Mario Bros. (JU) [!].nes

adelikat: I guess no movie is unimprovable :P Accepting the movie due to awesomeness, and encoding.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1796: klmz's NES Super Mario Bros. "warps" in 04:58.53
Senior Moderator
:D
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Editor, Active player (466)
Yet another "perfect" movie surpassed! I really didn't expect SMB to be improved at all. The block trick is fascinating, I wonder why the flag doesn't lower when you use it? It seemed like there were some differences between this and Pom's run that looked slower (e.g. falling instead of jumping around the barrier above the 4-2 warp zone), but since a) I don't know that much about TASing this game, and b) there's that 24 frame rule anyway, I really can't judge this movie based solely on those differences. I'm giving this a big yes vote for obvious reasons. Congratulations on beating a (supposedly) perfect TAS!
Senior Moderator
Chef Stef wrote:
e.g. falling instead of jumping around the barrier above the 4-2 warp zone
Btw, has anyone succeeded in jumping below the topmost block row? I remember it being regarded as a potential timesaver but I don't remember if anyone has actually managed to [dis]prove it.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Active player (410)
Nice discovery!
moozooh wrote:
Btw, has anyone succeeded in jumping below the topmost block row? I remember it being regarded as a potential timesaver but I don't remember if anyone has actually managed to [dis]prove it.
I don't know what you mean by "topmost block row".
Former player
KICKASS. No more comments.
My published movies [03:45:05] <Naohiro19> Soulrivers: ... [03:45:19] <Soulrivers> ? [03:46:35] <Naohiro19> <Soulrivers> No! <Naohiro19> So? <Soulrivers> Yes! [03:46:48] <Naohiro19> joke
Experienced player (822)
Great find! I was entertained. Very yes vote. BTW, is this an 84 frame improvement, (17996-17912) as stated in the NES forum topic, or a 62 (17974-17912) frame improvement, due to Pom ending input at the frame of the axe hit? Just from my preference I like the "earliest time input can be ended and still complete the game" option, but I know some people like to keep prior timing from previous runs for continuity.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Active player (410)
For better comparison, it's better when movie ends when Mario hit the axe.
Experienced player (538)
This looks really good my boy! *Shinryuu hands a candy box and lemonade bottle* I'm really impressed about this run and the new trick was confusing, never seen this happening before!! I don't know did you try to avoid that "frame rule" but i assume you did ..and this is a new TAS world record of SMB, Congrulations i'll give a easy YES vote punch shot to your face :)
Senior Moderator
Phil wrote:
Warp wrote:
Active player (410)
Ah no, it didn't work, for me. Hi moozooh. ;)
Experienced player (822)
Phil wrote:
For better comparison, it's better when movie ends when Mario hit the axe.
Any particular reason why (other than keeping continuity from the prior movies)?
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2105)
mmbossman wrote:
Great find! I was entertained. Very yes vote. BTW, is this an 84 frame improvement, (17996-17912) as stated in the NES forum topic, or a 62 (17974-17912) frame improvement, due to Pom ending input at the frame of the axe hit? Just from my preference I like the "earliest time input can be ended and still complete the game" option, but I know some people like to keep prior timing from previous runs for continuity.
I also ended this movie at the frame of the axe hit. So it's a true 84 frame improvement. @moozooh and Phil: I think it's impossible to jump through stairs in this game....
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Editor, Active player (296)
moozooh wrote:
Phil wrote:
We haven't been able to jump into stairs and pass through. Dive into, as is hown in klmz's movie, yes, but not pass through.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
A resounding yes vote, now adelikat owes me apology for endless ridicule of how perfect the previous movie was, then again I never would have thought that it could be improved so notably. So I'd vote yes a second time if I could :-D I've tried that glitch moozooh mentioned quite a while ago and I couldn't get it to work. Although I modified that part of the level to see how much time it would save and it came to 3 game units. Ironically all the pipes warp Mario back to the start of that area if you do the same glitch for the minus worlds.
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
ZOMG mario improvement! That's the third in the last month... or two months? Anyway, PURE AWESOME, yes vote. You should start working on the full version too.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
AKA, just because you say that every single movie you watch is improvable with absolutely zero proof or ideas, does not mean you know a damn thing about anything.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Senior Moderator
Chamale wrote:
ZOMG mario improvement! That's the third in the last month... or two months?
Try fifth. In the last month alone, even.
Warp wrote:
Active player (432)
Are you by any chance Nitsujas cousin?! This is absolutely historical. Who in our entire galaxy would have imagined this? I am still stunned.. You sir, have got a new subscriber :) I wonder what your next project is :) It gives me a huge pleasure to vote yes!
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Experienced player (612)
Pretty damn cool, man. Who knew, you know? Yes vote. On that note, this ends yet another, very generic comment by myself.
Post subject: [Post missing]
[Post content lost in a database crash]
Post subject: [Post missing]
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
[Post content lost in a database crash]
Player (104)
Wow, I honestly wondered how this could be beaten again. When I watched this I was like "well that's a really awesome idea" Then seeing how easy it is, I began wondering why no one had thought to do it before...
Soft Blue Dragon
Experienced player (623)
Nice job!Good glitch . Easy YES vote
The reminiscence of childhod. I love this game.
Former player
WOW Very yes vote.