Submission Text Full Submission Page

Kirby Nightmare of Dreamland Any% TAS

This is a TAS to the GBA remake of NES Kirby's Adventure. See this guide for differences between the two versions.

About the game

The peaceful word of Dream Land is in great danger. In Dream Land, dreams always flowed from the wonderful Fountain of Dreams. The Fountain of Dreams collected the hopes and dreams of all living things. It was also responsible for the sweet dreams and rest that come from deep sleep. But one day, everyone in Dream Land lost the ability to dream! King DeDeDe was bathing in the Fountain of Dreams! He had even taken the Star Rod - the source of the fountain's power - and broken it into pieces that he gave to his underlings. Now, Kirby must embark on an adventure... to restore peaceful nap times to all the residents of Dream Land...
The character can jump, inhale enemies, fly in midair, puff out air (which can be used as an attack), the character can slide, eat enemies, and if the enemy had a special power, Kirby now makes use of it. If Kirby inhales 2 special enemies, a roulette of all the abilities available in the game appears.

About the run

I mainly used the wheel ability in the run as it has the most horizontal speed. The game could have been beaten in ~20min if there had been the possibility to jump while being a wheel. This was firstly possible in the game's sequel Kirby And the Amazing Mirror.
In mini-boss fights, I tried to deal damage without getting hit. This turned out to be easy but there were some situations that made be angry. Some bosses like Phan-Phan or Bugzzy have a big grab range so I had to leave much space between me and the enemy. If bosses are standing directly next to a wall, I can't turn/getting normal. So I had to jump and turn back in midair, so I could drive back. This however cost a lot of time (but was still the fastest possibility I think). While I'm at it: The physics of the wheel ability differ MUCH between Kirby Amazing Mirror and this game, so it was sometimes difficult to handle certain situations.
Other than in KAM, enemies have no energy bars and cannot be juggled through the air.
Sometimes, when facing Metaknight's horde it's often better to lose the current ability and use a suck-in-blow-out strategy. I did so, if in the part afterwards were 2 special enemies to mix a wheel from. I lost abilities in order to be faster at main boss fights as well.

Wheel strategies

- Pressing only B is desired if there is a long and flat floor.
- Pressing A 5 - 9 frames and then 1 frame nothing and then B is desired if there is an edge which is '1 block' tall.
- Pressing A and then B is desired if the floor to drive after the jump isn't directly reachable or more than 1 block tall.
- You can drive on water. (There's a neat glitch I found: http://www.file-upload.net/download-572401/knid-345.AVI.html )
- If there is a ceiling, the pressing-A-and-B method may not be possible.

Testrun quality

This was originally intended to be a shitty and sloppy testrun. But I somehow managed to make it look clean. The run now just has a low optimization level (the rerecord count speaks for itself), so I'm losing frames here and there but there are no real major flaws. Now why I made a testrun? I didn't want to optimize a run of KNID if it might get rejected afterwards. I may work on a more optimized version if there is enough interest.
I hope I'm not missing out something, otherwise, just ask!
Have fun.

Cancelling because of this movie being too unoptimized and the lack of interest. Maybe, if everything else gets boring, I may make an optimized version but not now.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1813: MUGG's GBA Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land in 34:23.93
Former player
I really hate to do this, but I vote no. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan. Kirby & the Amazing Mirror was great, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who played that smurfs game, but this run just didn't reach out to me. *If that makes any sense* My biggest reason was that for most of the movie I was thinking, "that could have been faster" or "wouldn't it have made more sense to..." or "is that really faster?" so that's one reason I vote no. Too much that looked questionable that made me enjoy it less. My second reason was that there was too much Wheel ability. Granted, if you want to go fast, not much can be done about this. Though there were certain points in the movie where he could have gotten High Jump, that I think would have been more strategic to get, and I think that the way he was using wheel sometimes may have actually been slower. I might have to test some of this stuff out myself to be sure. So even though this run through the game wasn't really great, I think it could be a great run with some (several) improvements. I might even take the time to test some theories of mine.
id be all for a vote yes when you do a finished version in other words, count me as an interested person
Truth be told, I couldn't tell if the movie was fully optimized because watching Kirby be a wheel 95% of the time is boring, so I was watching at 300% speed. I just can't see this game being entertaining without sacrificing too much time. I hate to say it, but I also must vote no.
Active player (440)
BisqBot fails again XD. There were a few parts which looked unoptimized, but it was mildly entertaining nonetheless. Voting meh.
My current project: Something mysterious (oooooh!) My username is all lower-case letters. Please get it right :(
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I'd also be interested in a finished version. I don't think this should have been submitted, even though it does get more attention that way. In the NES version, tornado was faster than wheel in many places due to better vertical control. Did you test this for the GBA version? I think this game would make a good non-speed-based run, since it could show off many different powers, and perhaps some oddities, though I don't know of any in this game. The game is quite odd as it is :)
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Active player (324)
If we can make an exception to start with SRAM for this game, you should do a Meta-Knight run. That would be very fun to watch.
Editor, Expert player (2312)
My biggest reason was that for most of the movie I was thinking, "that could have been faster" or "wouldn't it have made more sense to..." or "is that really faster?" so that's one reason I vote no. Too much that looked questionable that made me enjoy it less.
Maybe you could be a little bit more specific?
Though there were certain points in the movie where he could have gotten High Jump, that I think would have been more strategic to get, and I think that the way he was using wheel sometimes may have actually been slower.
At which points do you think Hi-Jump would have been faster? The only point, I think could have been solved more strategic was that deep pit at which stone ability could have helped out. (But there were no good conditions, i.e. there wasn't a good possibility to get stone, nor a good possibility to get wheel afterwards.
So even though this run through the game wasn't really great, I think it could be a great run with some (several) improvements. I might even take the time to test some theories of mine.
Feel free to share your theories.^^
In the NES version, tornado was faster than wheel in many places due to better vertical control. Did you test this for the GBA version?
Tornado IS better than wheel, but it lacks the ability to break blocks. Or the period of time in which you use it is too long and you may have to wait in front of a door before you get normal again. It does have its advantages but also its disadvantages, so further testings are required.
I think this game would make a good non-speed-based run, since it could show off many different powers, and perhaps some oddities, though I don't know of any in this game. The game is quite odd as it is :)
Ok, I'm going to get the sleep ability next time ;)
If we can make an exception to start with SRAM for this game, you should do a Meta-Knight run. That would be very fun to watch.
I once made a testrun of the first level, and personally, I disliked it! It's nothing more than running on the floor, jumping, avoiding all the enemies (Imagine Metaknight doing this for 40 minutes....). Trust me, watching Kirby is more fun in this case!
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!