Submission Text Full Submission Page
Emulator: VisualBoyAdvance Emulator Version 1.7.2 re-recording 19.3
This improvement of 69 frames (1.15 seconds) was achieved through corner boosting, putting more thought into where Link should be before entering the next screen, and better manipulation and lag avoidance on the boss.

Tricks and glitches

Screenwarp

This is done by pressing select just before the screen starts changing when moving to another screen. It causes Link to warp to the other side of the screen.

Up/down + A and B

This is done by pressing up and down at the same time, then pressing the A or B button. Pressing A causes Link to become graphically distorted, and can lead to some cool side effects. As you'll see in the boss battle, I turn into Dark Link. Pressing B makes the game think Link is at another part of the screen, which was used to get the sword without actually going down to it.

Corner boosting

This only works on corners which you're moving away from, i.e., it won't work on the corner while exiting the house at the start of the game. It will, however, work on the two corners outside the house, and the one before entering the dungeon. It's done by moving Link into the corner on a certain frame, and it causes him to be pushed forwards a bit. It saves 1 frame each time it's done.

Thanks to...

Soulrivers, for his previous run, and advice on the boss battle.
Tompa, for checking my progress regularly and reporting back any improvable parts.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Former player
I have to give this a Meh vote because you didn't take advantage of the Japanese ROM, which, by utilizing it's shorter text lengths, could've saved you countless seconds. Better luck next time =( (Yes vote)
Skilled player (1637)
Thanks for switching back to the U rom.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Editor, Active player (466)
It's impressive that you were able to finish a (U) version of the movie so quickly! I still think Soulrivers' TAS was a little more entertaining, but this TAS is still very fun to watch, espeically now that I can actually read the text ;) I'm giving this a 'yes' vote. By the way, in the last submission, you said that 62 frames were saved over the previous version (ignoring the Japanese text), but here 69 frames were saved. Where did the extra 7 frames come from?
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
mr_roberts_z wrote:
I have to give this a Meh vote because you didn't take advantage of the Japanese ROM, which, by utilizing it's shorter text lengths, could've saved you countless seconds. Better luck next time =( (Yes vote)
Ditto :-D
Active player (490)
It's impressive that you were able to finish a (U) version of the movie so quickly! <3 hex editing. I still think Soulrivers' TAS was a little more entertaining, but this TAS is still very fun to watch, espeically now that I can actually read the text ;) I'm giving this a 'yes' vote. If it was because I missed out stuff like doing up/down moves while falling before entering the 8th dungeon, well...that particular example is slower by 1 frame if you do anything while falling...also, the lack of cool moves during the battle was because I had to manipulate the boss to get as little lag as possible. But thanks. :) By the way, in the last submission, you said that 62 frames were saved over the previous version (ignoring the Japanese text), but here 69 frames were saved. Where did the extra 7 frames come from? You'll notice that this time, after getting the sword, I don't go onto the next screen while he holds it above his head. It's actually 3 frames faster to go left until he's stopped doing that, then go up a screen. As for the other 4 frames, well, I honestly don't know...I was only 3 ahead by the time I exited the boss room, so my only guess is that I had less lag on the way to the owl or something.
Y e s
"No love for the game gear"
My yes vote stands. And you even found three more frames this time!
Kirby said so, so it must be true. ( >'.')>
Yes, and from reading the submission text i now know why the boss battle looks strange!
Former player
Yep. (Yes vote)
My published movies [03:45:05] <Naohiro19> Soulrivers: ... [03:45:19] <Soulrivers> ? [03:46:35] <Naohiro19> <Soulrivers> No! <Naohiro19> So? <Soulrivers> Yes! [03:46:48] <Naohiro19> joke
Skilled player (1768)
Hello Swordless Link. I found a new route of your movie. Please use it :)
Active player (490)
Wow, nice one. How much time does this save? Your battle with the first part of the boss seemed to last a much shorter time than mine. Anyway, I'll impliment this and submit an updated version. EDIT: Just checked, saves 184 (just over 3 seconds) on entering the boss battle, and if the battle itself is actually faster, well...yeah, thanks for telling me. :)
Former player
Pirohiko: very nice, when did you find this?
Skilled player (1768)
Swordless Link: This route shortened by 619 frames (10.3 seconds). I think that it becomes shorter if you play. mr_roberts_z: This route was found for about two years ago.
mwl
I object to the rejection of the Japanese movie. It'd be one thing if the author relied on the region difference alone to supersede the old record, but he clearly stated that he had made a one-second improvement independently of version differences. This should have been a reasonable excuse to switch to the Japanese version for good for this and all future submissions, since it allows for faster movies to be made. Personally, I think the wall of text takes away from the entertainment value. Voting no.
Former player
mwl wrote:
I object to the rejection of the Japanese movie....Voting no.
I also strongly oppose the J ROM rejection. It would be one thing if there were no other improvements and the only timesaver was switching to the J ROM, which anyone could've done, but there are other improvements as well. However, if the judges persist in their refusal of the J ROM, that leaves this as a normal improvement to the published movie, and there's no particular reason to vote No.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Well, then I object to the objection of my rejection of the movie for the Japanese version. You are free to have a differing opinion when I reject something because I do not think it is entertaining or well played. In this case you should be complaining about the rules and not that judges do their job and judge by them. I was going to accept this, but I now see that there is a suggestion for a faster route, so I'm holding on judging this until I hear what comes of it.
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2142)
Swordless is trying to improve the run currently, having problem with some lag. But he will probably update the submission file once he is done.