Submission Text Full Submission Page

Link's Awakening DX "warp glitch" TAS by hogehoge61 and pirohiko

Right, this is a glitched run of DX, not monochrome one.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: VBAR 1.72 v19.3
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Uses game restart sequence
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Steals a shovel and a bow (money money money, must be funny, in the rich man's world!)
  • Uses death to save time (you won't see a picture of Marin in the ending, sadly)
  • Uses warps (for details, see "doghouse warp glitch" section)
  • Manipulates luck

Tricks and glitches

Corner boosting

Touching a corner diagonally can push Link forward a little, and saves 1 or 2 frames per boost.

Up/Down + Item

Each item use causes glitches by pressing up and down at the same time. Since it allows Link to touch sprites in the remote position, he can retrieve his sword without moving below. Want to see the annoying owl? I guess you don't ;)
In the last battle, he becomes invisible by side effect.

Doghouse warp glitch

As you can imagine, the warp is the heart of the run.
When approaching the entrance of the doghouse downwards along its right side, you can touch the entrance by pushing left, and it takes Link to a random room.
The destination depends on the number of enemies you killed. Also, it becomes zero when restarting the game. In the run, Link goes out from the village and kills two enemies after he steals a bow. This might look redundant, but is necessary to access the proper room.

Tactics about the boss battle

1st form

Normally, the boss cannot be hurt without magic powder, however, you can defeat him by slashing simultaneously with his landing.

2nd form

Actually, Deluxe Shovel has an ability to reflect beam. Shovel use in this scene was done just for an entertainment.

3rd form

Normally, Link needs to slash again after a hit to focus the power into his sword. But you can cancel the motion of swinging a sword with Deluxe Shovel, then save 16 frames per once.
This is the exact use of Deluxe Shovel™, eh? ;)

6th form

Don't be too close to the boss, if you want five hits or more. You can in fact get six hits by shooting arrows while you approach to the boss from far.

Special Thanks

• Anonymous guys in 2channel: The thread informed us about the awesome glitch.
  • すりごま (Surigoma): We probably haven't made the run without his/her videos.
  • Swordless Link & Chef Stef: Their published runs were great references. We especially learned about corner boost, boss strategies and up/down trick.
  • Folks in #TASers: #TASers is a channel on Japanese IRC server (wide). They helped us in every respect. For example, proofreading English script (>ヮ<)
And thank you for reading our submission, enjoy the run!

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Oh! I also corrected the ROM name.
  • You indicated Legend of Zelda, The - Link's Awakening DX (UE) (v1.0).gbc
  • I updated it to Legend of Zelda, The - Link's Awakening DX (U) (V1.0) [C][!].gbc

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
gocha
Any
Emulator Coder, Former player
Hi! I am an idiot! I took only one screenshot of this movie and placed it here. Oh! I also helped to write the submission text a little. Feel free to pat me on the head! (>ヮ<) I wonder if the submission will be accepted, anyway, I think it's entertaining, so voted yes. Edit: watch online Edit: I think the submission should not obsolete published (non-warp) DX run. I wonder how the warped non-DX run should be treated...
I am usually available on Discord server or Twitter.
Former player
I don't see why this movie shouldn't be published. The DX version is different enough from the gb version. The glitch used in the non-DX version was fixed, and I didn't even know something similar was possible in the DX version! The run also seems very well put together, and I found the final battle very entertaining. Very nice work!
Active player (490)
I said wow. This is even cooler than the B&W version's glitched run. And no lag in the boss battle = instant win. ;-) Looks very smooth and optimal, and thanks for the thanks. I knew one of these runs would come along eventually, ever since Tompa first explained to me that the dog house glitch could potentially be used to beat the game quickly, and I'm happy to see that the first attempt at it is an optimal one. Good job, both of you. Obvious yes vote, but I'm not sure if it should replace the published LADX run...I suppose if it didn't, it would only make sense to allow a non-screenwarp B&W run...which is pointless, really...hmm...I suppose it just justifies a 100% run even more.
Banned User, Former player
Swordless Link wrote:
I'm not sure if it should replace the published LADX run...
The answer to this is an obvious no. I was going to link to examples (Metroid, Pokemon, several others) but there's just too many to bother.
Perma-banned
Yrr
This run is very entertaining. This is definitly a yes vote. But if somebody does a 100% run this game seems to be another 4-category-game.
Wow... This warp glitch is so strange that it can easily be done unassisted! Of course, navigation to the final boss area afterwards seems impossible without assistance since invisible objects seem to push you around since a map tile could be anything (plus it's impossible to beat the final boss without the dust as mentioned in the submission unless you have precision sword swinging), but still... It's funny how entering a door backwards can horribly mess up a game. I find it interesting how some of the glitched graphics inside the warp change after entering the start menu, as if they are coming from some sprite buffer in the RAM that is never cleared or something. (I discovered that when playing around; not found in the actual movie) Yes vote! I agree that this should not obsolete the warpless run. I saw that after watching this warped one and it shows a whole lot more of the game play. The story can actually be followed in that one, and I don't think most people know what the whale is at the end unless they played the game (or the warpless run). I suppose Super Mario Brothers influenced the goomba- and shy guy-like enemies found in the warpless run. Those were strange to see.
<ccfreak2k> There is no 'ctrl' button on DeHackEd's computer. DeHackEd is always in control.
Experienced player (822)
Excellent and unexpected run guys, and congratulations on a great first submission! I enjoyed it and it's very interesting that both the regular and DX runs have two separate glitches to get to the end boss quickly. I guess I vote for this game to have another category, although it seems weird to have two warped glitch runs. I'll just say yes and let someone else figure out all the hard stuff.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
Very awesome! Sweet looking run using a glitch I haven't heard of in a game I love--most easily guaranteed Yes vote I can think of! As far as obsoletion is concerned, I don't see any run than this movie is similar enough to to be affected.
AMAZING. This is an excellent first submission, guys. What's great is this can coexist with the black and white version run on this site, showing off separate glitches in separate versions to visit the final boss quickly. Definite yes. Edit: Heh, I just realized my post was almost the same as mmbossman's above.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
That was really cool. I don't know how somebody figured that out, and I think that makes it all the more amazing. I give my YES vote to this run as a separate category.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
The way you killed the first nightmare form surprised me actually. I had tried the other stealing method before, but never thought that it would be faster because you have to wait for so long. Turned out that it is 5 frames faster after all, nice. The route in the doghouse is basically the idea I had as well. But mine was a bit different, and probably slower as well. I didn't think people would bother that much of a run made that way, so I never cared to do one. Seems like it turned out to be quite interesting anyway.
Skilled player (1431)
Really nice and (for me at least) unexpected glitching to the last boss, and a VERY entertaining fight indeed. Seems well worked through and very optimal so a yes vote for a separate category for this run from me.
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
Former player
I'm glad a run with this trick was finally done. I knew about this glitch for a long time, so I'm happy to see it exploited. One question though. At the final boss, would it be faster to stand right in front of the eye and shoot an arrow? Edit: Yes vote.
Pekopon:
NesVideoAgent wrote:
<h4>6th form</h4><div class="deeper"> Don't be too close to the boss, if you want five hits or more. You can in fact get six hits by shooting arrows while you approach to the boss from far.
I suppose this works because you can shoot your first arrow earlier, before the eye opens, and then stack subsequent arrows on top of each other by approaching the eye while shooting. Or maybe it's just a game glitch.
<ccfreak2k> There is no 'ctrl' button on DeHackEd's computer. DeHackEd is always in control.
huge yes vote. really like the fact this run is so different then the non-DX version
Has never colored a dinosaur.
yes, entertaining bla bla
"No love for the game gear"
Player (104)
Wow, that's awesome. I didn't think such a thing existed outside of the warping glitch. I mean what does this say for the other runs of this game? Does that mean the hour long run through of the game without the warp glitch will be replaced with a similar run to this? I still voted yes. This run is win.
Soft Blue Dragon
Watched and enjoyed.
No.
Banned User, Former player
Huh, so there's an exit to under2 somewhere in that mess? ...and one that keeps it glitched? Surprising. Congratulations on finding it :P Also yes. Very yes. ...but not if this is going to obsolete the current DX run.
Perma-banned
The glitch is pretty awesome :) It is a good way to fuck the game up and never get your sword due to a lack of a shield! and it seems you can't start stealing from the store till you get your sword :( so you can't get your shield back.
Ryzen 3700X, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard, 32GB 3600MHz RAM, MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB, Windows 10 Pro x64 http://tasvideos.org/Nach/FranpaAlert.html
Experienced player (822)
can prevent clogging of the workbench! Please cancel this to save the judges the trouble of rejecting it.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page