• Uses Snex9x 1.43 v11beta6
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Plays at hardest difficulty
  • Presses more than one button at once
  • Genre: Platform
  • Genre: Adventure
  • The usual

Hay guys. This is our The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse-TAS. It is 1634 frames faster than the previous publication. Have fun watching it.

Level 1 - 1: First of all, the first part of this level is not done using memory watch, but that was because of the fact that I (Cardboard) did not know the speed address. This address was later found (In level 1 - 3) but due to an extremely good miniboss battle in 1 - 2, I did not want to redo and risk losing it. That being said I doubt that much time is lost due to this. Still gained time here, however. 16 frames that is.
Level 1 - 2: The miniboss is done faster, and I can't recall right now but when I (Cardboard) did the boss, I know that I did one jump less, or something like that, due to hitting him with more minions, or something like that. Along with the time gained in the beginning of the level, this level ends up 352 frames faster.
Level 1 - 3: We managed to slip beneath the bee in some strange way which still is unexplained but as awesome as Snickers Pie. Arrrr... Snickers pie... Time gained: 123 frames
Level 1 - 4: OH THE DAMNED NOES, A BOSS D: Well he dies \o/ Time gained: 21 frames
Total Gain (World 1/ total): ( 491/ 491)
Level 2 - 1: Wee time to put on a dress! A handful of frames gained, namely 3 frames.
Level 2 - 2: 1 frame gained on the swimming, a few on the miniboss making it 27 frames faster.
Level 2 - 3: Typical Mario-stage. "Go from left to right without doing much". Still a few frames gained, 7.
Level 2 - 4: In the beginning of this level, we pick up another Magic Lamp for the boss, but this new route actually gains us time, woot. 13 frames gained before the boss, and a blazing 192 faster boss fight thanks to the extra MP makes it 205 frames faster. (205 also happens to be the name of Cardboard's car)
Total Gain (World 2/ total): (242 / 754)
Level 3 - 1: Faster running speed up to the miniboss, and keeping the speed through the entire fight made stage 3 - 1 68 faster.
Level 3 - 2: 11 frames faster in some strange way. As always, I have no idea!
Level 3 - 3: Taking damage in the water is faster than taking damage outside of the water since Mickey lands in the water and can start to move again faster. 24 frames faster.
Level 3 - 4: 37 frames was gained by staying closer to the boss while attacking him.
Total Gain (World 3/ total): (140 / 894)
Level 4 - 1: Nothing new here really. A bunch (14) of frames faster thanks to optimized movement.
Level 4 - 2: Same old route, a 5 frames faster.
Level 4 - 3: This is one of the things that Recca's run showed. Two-rounding the bird using the Bionic Commando-suit by making sure the eggs hit 3 times, which mutilated birdie pretty quickly, making the battle 247 frames faster. I guess it was nitsuja who found out about two-rounding the bird first, not sure. I'll let Recca update this later.
Total Gain (World 4/ total): (266 / 1160)
Level 5 - 1: 11 frames faster here. Why, we don't know!
Level 5 - 2: Nothing gained. Also Mickey almost falls off the screen towards the end which is funny.
Level 5 - 3: Despite having to change suit which costs 110isch frames, 156 frames were gained here all thanks to a much more aggressive boss battle.
Total Gain (World 5/ total): (167/ 1327)
Level 6 - 1: 101 frames gained in this level due to... uh... doing stuff. Stuff that we dig.
Level 6 - 2: Amazing 2 frames gained. Everybody daaaance!
Level 6 - 3: New route! 201 frames faster due to messing around with the huge blocks in another way. We tried to keep a floating block but it was about 80 frames slower than this one. This level might look sluggish but this was our best try.
Level 6 - 4: Holy wow, it's a monster! Well not for long. 3 frames faster than last time.
Total Gain (World 6/ total): (307 / 1634)

TASer's comments:
Hello! We are Cardboard & Recca, or Team Sweden as Cardboard once called us! Think of us a bit as Starsky and Hutch. Except I (Cardboard) look nothing like Starsky, and Recca looks nothing like Hutch. This is our first project together, but just like Starsky and Hutch, we're getting more and more used to work with each other.
So we hope that you will enjoy our run!
Cardboard (Not even remotely close to Starsky):
To be completely fair, I never really was interested in this run, but Recca showed me his run of the game which used the J-ROM before soulrivers submitted his improvement, and I talked him out of submitting it due to the J-version issue, but while taking frame counts from Recca's run and soulrivers' run, I figured that if I applied some of Recca's strategies to soulrivers' run, it it would end up a bit faster. After joining with Recca, "a bit" turned out not the be the correct expression.
I TASed most of this run, but I hardly know anything about this game. All I know I learned from watching Recca's run of the game, and I then applied some "Cardboard framewhoring" to that and look where it got us. That being said, I must add that Recca also did his fair share of TASing during this run especially towards the end of the run.
I'm quite satisfied with the end result of this run, and as we progressed, I also started to enjoy watching soulrivers' run more than I ever thought I could enjoy this game.
Recca (Absolutely not Hutch):
Will be added later

Suggested screenshots: Like any other game, Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse is full of strange moments the developers never intended to happen. We happened to capture a few of them! Also may contain material not suited for minors.
To be updated later when Recca get back home.

Truncated: Looks good, except for being bounced to the left in the falling spike corridor, which has already been answered. Accepting.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Experienced player (538)
Awesome run from you guys! I did not expect to see anything like this, I loved Fire Grotto and Snowy Valley worlds the most, they were really amazing and full of action. Jumping makes this movie to look much more funnier and optimized than before. Really interesting that you wasn't interested doing/about this game but you were able to learn from Recca and procude a good movie in the end. Thanks guys!
Former player
Damn, nice improvement. I certainly didn't expect it to be this large. You had a lot of clever solutions that I didn't think of, and also there's my horrible 1-2. Very good job, yes vote!
My published movies [03:45:05] <Naohiro19> Soulrivers: ... [03:45:19] <Soulrivers> ? [03:46:35] <Naohiro19> <Soulrivers> No! <Naohiro19> So? <Soulrivers> Yes! [03:46:48] <Naohiro19> joke
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
I admitably only got to see 1-1 before SNES9X starting having a major crash spree on my computer, but what I saw looked great. Can't wait for publication.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
Very nice indeed. As Soulrivers said, I didn't expect this much to be improved either. Go Swedes :D. Yes voting FTW. Edit: And by the way... I have been in that car. I'm writing autographs at the exit, thanks.
Post subject: Re: #2027: Cardboard & Recca's SNES Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, The in 15:28.97
Cardboard wrote:
Also may contain material not suited for minors.
OH GOOFY This should be a fun watch. :) *downloads*
Very nice improvement! 3-1 was a bit boring during the auto scroll though =\
i see...
N._Harmonik
She/Her
You should try working on the second game next...or maybe even do a run on the third game. (They all use the same engine, right?)
Why, oh, why do I even <i>try</i> to understand my own species?
Skilled player (1670)
Which are the other games?
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Former player
"The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie" and "Mickey to Donald Magical Adventure 3" (IMO, the best ever!).
N. Harmonik wrote:
They all use the same engine, right?
Yep. BTW, nice run. Yes Vote!
Skilled player (1670)
Cool. I might look into them now that I'm used to the engine >_>
Warp wrote:
Former player
The third game doesn't allow you to keep momentum when jumping. I only played the first level, but it was incredibly boring to watch even an optimised movie of it. I don't think it's TASing material, but go ahead and try it out. EDIT: Also probably the best set of screenshots I've ever seen from NesVideoAgent.
My published movies [03:45:05] <Naohiro19> Soulrivers: ... [03:45:19] <Soulrivers> ? [03:46:35] <Naohiro19> <Soulrivers> No! <Naohiro19> So? <Soulrivers> Yes! [03:46:48] <Naohiro19> joke
Senior Moderator
Soulrivers wrote:
Also probably the best set of screenshots I've ever seen from NesVideoAgent.
By the best set, you mean none? :)
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Skilled player (1670)
Soulrivers wrote:
The third game doesn't allow you to keep momentum when jumping. I only played the first level, but it was incredibly boring to watch even an optimised movie of it. I don't think it's TASing material, but go ahead and try it out.
I'll take your word for it. I'll look into the second one tonight to see if it is good enough I guess.
Warp wrote:
Recca
He/Him
Former player
The engine is not really the same with the movements and jumping, like soulrivers said. But it sure looks interesting cause it's 2 - player. =)
Kodachi no Hans - Hans i Dungen [Baka Rangers]
In the spike room of the castle, you hit an enemy and the damage tosses you to the left, was it not possible to be thrown to the right instead?
Active player (410)
The last time I have watched a run of this game, it was Zurreco's or nitsuja's version. Nice run but I have a few questions.
KDR_11k wrote:
In the spike room of the castle, you hit an enemy and the damage tosses you to the left, was it not possible to be thrown to the right instead?
This was my first question. My 2nd question is: At the boss where you use the fireman suit, I think it's level 3 or something, there was some missed shots. Are they intentional or something else? Also, when Mickey is going downhill with his normal suit, doesn't he move faster than jumping? Because I saw one instance where you jump instead of letting him run.
Skilled player (1670)
The spike room, no. To be thrown to the right, you must be on the left side of the enemy which does not work. For the fire hosing, you have to keep on shooting to keep the pressure of the water for a constant attack. As for the run/jumping, this depends a bit on how the level design is. I don't know exactly which part you mean, but while jumping, no speed is lost, so jumping is at least equally fast as running downhill, if the maximum running speed is reached.
Warp wrote:
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1165] SNES The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse by Cardboard & Recca in 15:28.97
Skilled player (1431)
I vote no because it was all just a dream, good run though.
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
jaysmad
Other
Experienced player (834)
Yeah! That was fun to watch! Another yes in the "who gives a damn" pile Edit: Does anyone know if the turbo would work the same in Great Circus Mystery? I tried it but without succes. Maybe, i didnt do it right>?
Active player (410)
Apparently, there is a sequel for the GBA. It's Magical quest 2. So, you might take a look.