Super Mario Land 2 - 6 Golden Coins in 24:24 by Soulrivers.

• Recorded on VBA 1.72 v19.3
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Features kickass music
  • Uses japanese version
This run is 4507 frames faster than the previous run, or 1 minute and 14.993 seconds.

The glitches

Corner boost

I realise I didn't explain this in my last submission, so I'll do this now. When Mario’s head collides with the bottom-right part of any block (or object that has got a solid bottom), he is pushed 1-2 pixels forward.

The space world glitch (come up with a better name yourself)

This is the big timesaver, found and brought to my attention by the eminent TASer ISM, which saved around 4300 of the 4507 total. It is performed by first completing the first space world stage. You then enter that stage again and play up to the mid-way bell. On the very same frame that you touch the bell, you exit the stage and proceed to die in the sidescroller stage. When you enter the stage again, you’ll end up where the bell in that stage is (I think, in any case it’s very far into it). This would theoretically work in any given stage of the game, but it wouldn’t save any time.

Other stuff

Other than that, there isn’t very much to say. I lost some frames in a few places due to unavoidable lag, and I reduced it in some places. You give and you take, that’s the way it is. If you think a stage or a section of a stage looks boring because I just fly over it or something, it’s because I’m avoiding lag.
Also for those who read the last run’s thread, I regained the time lost in the second water stage. I still can’t explain why I used to lose so much time there, though. The wall clip was also executed better.
That being said,
Enjoy!

mmbossman: Accepting as an improvement to the published movie.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Active player (490)
Even better than the last one. I can't believe that glitch ultimately saved over a minute. Yes, as always. Also, my suggested screenshot from the last movie should be used this time. <_< Don't care enough to take another screenshot from this movie, so here's the link to the one I took from the last movie: http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/SwordlessLink/SML2screen.png
Post subject: Re: #2093: Soulrivers's GB Super Mario Land 2 - 6 Golden Coins in 24:23.62
NesVideoAgent wrote:
Does this work on v20 of the emulator?
<adelikat> I am annoyed at my irc statements ending up in forums & sigs
Post subject: Re: #2093: Soulrivers's GB Super Mario Land 2 - 6 Golden Coins in 24:23.62
Former player
Raiscan wrote:
NesVideoAgent wrote:
Does this work on v20 of the emulator?
I haven't tested this actually, but it doesn't seem to be of the same nature as the pipe glitch.
My published movies [03:45:05] <Naohiro19> Soulrivers: ... [03:45:19] <Soulrivers> ? [03:46:35] <Naohiro19> <Soulrivers> No! <Naohiro19> So? <Soulrivers> Yes! [03:46:48] <Naohiro19> joke
Editor, Expert player (2313)
Nice new trick :) It's similar to the bubble glitch (video available on Youtube). Now, that all errors of the old version are removed, I can give this an easy yes vote. I spotted some points were you lost some frames, though. (In the future, don't mind to ask me to watch your WIPs. ;) ) One more thing: What is your attidude to the newly discovered pixel saving glitch?
Former player
MUGG wrote:
Nice new trick :) It's similar to the bubble glitch (video available on Youtube). Now, that all errors of the old version are removed, I can give this a yes vote. I spotted some points were you lost some frames, though. (In the future, don't mind to ask me to watch your WIPs. ;) ) One more thing: What is your attidude to the newly discovered pixel saving glitch?
Thanks. :) I was aware of the pixel trick before I started making this run, so I intentionally chose not to use it. Why? Because as you say at the end of that video, it allows for very few extra stunts. Hell, some people bitched over me using the J ROM to save a few seconds, these people would certainly bitch even more if I removed all the "unneccesary" jumps and the like.
My published movies [03:45:05] <Naohiro19> Soulrivers: ... [03:45:19] <Soulrivers> ? [03:46:35] <Naohiro19> <Soulrivers> No! <Naohiro19> So? <Soulrivers> Yes! [03:46:48] <Naohiro19> joke
Former player
Lossless x264 encode with subtitles Again: if any publisher wants to save time, drop me a note for the unsubbed one.
Banned User
Just watched it, easy yes from me, I especially loved the "cutting corner" glitch. I'm also encoding a tentative AVI. edit: damn you, you've been faster than me once again :( Well, I'm going to encode it anyway, it can't hurt :) edit2: Here it is, I hope this is high quality enough for publication, I compared it to the tasv1 (still by soulrivers), it is slightly bigger, but the audio/video quality looks good, in my opinion.
Gone.
Emulator Coder
Neat trick to add. I also liked how the stage was played differently the second time. I watched the previous TAS already, and it's a novel improvement.
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2142)
Neat improvements there! And too bad I couldn't find a missed corner boost (Except those you explained for me;)) so you didn't have to redo, oh well :D. Good run, yes vote indeed.
Nice run. Only problem is that the game only has...two...themes. And one of 'em only plays during the last dungeon! So I always end up with the other one stuck in my head after watching/playing this game. *sigh* Still, looks good.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Easy yes from me. EDIT: Since they changed the system I rate it 7 and 8
"No love for the game gear"
IST
Very entertaining. A yes vote from me.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Cool movie. Unexpected actions, quick boss kills, and glitches. It's a bit long for a platform game on GB, though. Or maybe I'm more used to Super Mario Land. This movie syncs on both the US/Europe and Japanese versions, thus making this a bigame movie (even though the only thing different is the title screen). Yes vote ... oops, I can't vote anymore. :)
arflech
He/Him
FractalFusion wrote:
It's a bit long for a platform game on GB, though. Or maybe I'm more used to Super Mario Land.
You're definitely more used to Super Mario Land; look at the Wario Land and Donkey Kong Land series and you'll see what I mean, those are very long.
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1202] GB Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins by Soulrivers in 24:23.62
lol @ looking around then ducking during 9:44. Good run.
Please un-obsolete this. It doesn't in any way use the glitch that allowed the subsequent run to be obsoleted. It actually plays through the game, avoiding the so-called "pipe-glitch" (which really should be called a "glitch world" glitch.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
No.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
NitroGenesis wrote:
No.
plus there is still a glitch that allow to bypass the first half of the autoscroller, a borring part maybe but still a "glitched" run hence the same category as the current published run (that use just a bigger glitch) it would still be nice to see a 100% run of this game.....